Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Kindle Footnotes Dimmed

Device: Kindle Oasis 1.
Book: Annotated Memoirs of General Grant by Elizabeth Samet.

Problem: the text of this ebook shows up fine - I can adjust within all parameters of the ordinary Kindle fonts, brightness, etc. without issue. However, the footnotes show up in a dimmed state - I can read them, but the darkness & contrast of the text are substantially reduced, to the point where it is an effort to read them.

I have had no luck researching this issue on the net. I suspect that it is a problem with the formatting of this particular book, since I don’t have the issue in any other ebook. And it doesn’t exist as a problem on the ipad version of the book.

My next move will be to see if I can finagle around the problem using caliber, but I’m hoping someone here has an idiot proof solution...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The footnotes have probably been set to show up in a different colour which is showing as grey on the Kindle. Should be easy enough to change in Calibre's editor.

Try looking at the footnotes on K4PC or a tablet with a colour screen.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-18-2019 at 12:08 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you got it in one. The footnotes on my ipad show up in blue.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I think you got it in one. The footnotes on my ipad show up in blue.
If that violates amazon guidelines, or even if enough people complain, amazon will require the publisher to make changes. But amazon won't know about it unless someone notifies them.

It might be a single change in CSS to do it yourself in calibre.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Almost certainly, yes.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If that violates amazon guidelines, or even if enough people complain, amazon will require the publisher to make changes. But amazon won't know about it unless someone notifies them.

Kindle has a built in Report Content Error feature: highlight the offending text and it is one of the options.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #7
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

JPS - Thanks for the suggestion. I sent a comment to customer service about it.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #8
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

I learn something every day - thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

I’ll try that when I get home in a couple of weeks. What is CSS?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
You might want to consult the experts in the Calibre and Kindle format forums.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
"Cascading Style Sheet" is what CSS stands for. That may not help with your question!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm moving this thread to the "Kindle Formats" forum, which is a more appropriate place for it.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Look in our wiki CSS

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:21 AM   #14
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The footnotes have probably been set to show up in a different colour which is showing as grey on the Kindle. Should be easy enough to change in Calibre's editor.

Try looking at the footnotes on K4PC or a tablet with a colour screen.
I knew nothing about the calibre editor when you made this suggestion, but after some reading in the online help at https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edi...css-properties, I now know next to nothing.

By messing about till something kind of worked, I managed to change the color of the footnote text, and the resulting text on my Kindle Oasis was marginally darker, but is still rather dim. What's annoying is that when the screen refreshes, I get a nice, dark text for a few seconds, before it reverts to the dim text.

What I did was change "<span text="blue"> to <span "style=black"> - because just changing "blue" to "black" did nothing.

So what a footnote looks like in the Text part of the calibre editor is:

<p class="footnote" id="fn11"><span style="black"><a href="part0010.html#rfn11">11</a>. The two episodes with which Grant closes this chapter on his youth—his inexpert horse trade and the beatings he received from the schoolteacher—suggest a certain vulnerability as well as a source of his aversion to bullying and humiliating others.</span></p>
</section>
</body>
</html>

Do you have any idea whether there's an edit I can make to this that might solve my problem? Or am I looking in the wrong place?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Look in our wiki CSS

Dale
Thanks - somehow I missed your comment, but I will take a look & see if I can figure something out.

Tags
dim, dimmed, footnote, kindle, troubleshoot