Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Arthur C Clark Time Series and odyssey series. All his books and short stories are good.
His Rama series is awful. It's dry and boring.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #227
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
His Rama series is awful. It's dry and boring.
I didn't think so, but that's only my opinion. Feel free to differ.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #228
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I'm getting stick to do death of reading variations on the "space US/Space UN vs the colonists" theme in contemporary Sci-fi. I want some cool aliens damn it! Wide vistas, unimaginable strangeness.
Try Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #229
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I have read many books over this last year (including the first six Malazan books) and I have come to the annoying conclusion that I have loved none of them. I liked some of them, I really liked a few of them (Tigana, Memories of Ice, Midnight Tides) but not loved.

So I am looking for recommendations! I want something I will look forward to reading at night, not something to merely help me sleep.

My four favourite books of all time are in order, Anathem, A Deepness in the Sky, A Fire Upon the Deep, Let the Right One In.

I like big concepts, interesting likeable and outsider characters.

Any recommendations?
Going back to the OP on this one, The Goblin Series by Jaq D. Hawkins is one I really like for worldbuilding. I love going back there and hope she writes more for the series!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #230
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You might want to take a look at the following, which are my recent favorite reads in the fantasy/SF realm, all fabulous:
Bennett, Robert Jackson City of Stairs (trilogy)
Liu, Cixin The Three-Body Problem (trilogy)
Jemisin, NK The Fifth Season (trilogy)
Wilson, Kai Ashante A Taste of Honey
Dickinson, Seth The Traitor Baru Cormorant
Hawkins, Scott The Library at Mount Char
Strugatsky, Boris & Arkady Roadside Picnic
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #231
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Dan Abnett is worth a look. He's done plenty of titles set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, and whilst these are very variable in quality on the whole, his are definitely a cut above the rest.

Amongst his works are the Gaunt's Ghosts series, which follow a squad of troopers through a massive interstellar war. They're rather similar to the Sharpe series of books except set in the far future with campaigns across entire star systems that feature billions of combatants. There's also the Eisenhorn series that describes the adventures of one of the Imperium's Inquisitors as he roots out heretics and traitors and uncovers plots within plots.

Abnett has also done a few novels set in the Horus Heresy period, which are set ten thousand years in the past from the perspective of the 40k universe amidst a galactic civil war, including the debut novel in the series, Horus Rising.

Action sequences are definitely his strong point, and whilst many of the 40k books feature cardboard cutouts, Abnett does properly rounded characterisation, even when describing the Space Marines (who despite being genetically engineered superhumans hell bent on religiously motivated genocide in the name of humanity, are often a bit... well... boring, when described by other authors)
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #232
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
If you'd like a good giggle, I highly recommend The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #233
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
If you'd like a good giggle, I highly recommend The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Seconded! Required reading for any SFF fan.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #234
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am 3 chapters away from finishing "IT" and it is a very good book. I also read Cryptonomicon ( or how ever you spell it) which is a hard read. My father was a decoder in the Amy so it was somewhat fascinating to read but he was stationed in Libya, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia ( This was late 1950's to early 60's)
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #235
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
My SF/F favourite series

Just to mention a few favourites...

One's I think that were already mentioned in the thread - Hitchhiker's; Liaden; Deed of Paksenarrion; Mistborn ; Old Man's War ; Valor(Tanya Huff) ;Vorkosigan

Ones that may not have been (or I missed them!)
  • Brian Daley - Alacrity Fitzhugh trilogy ; Echos of HHGTTG
  • John Ringo - Black Tide Rising / Council Wars / Looking Glass /Troy Rising
  • Mike Shepherd - Kris Longknife ; A bit lightweight but a decent read
  • Michael Z Williamson - Freehold / Ripple Creek
  • Weber/Ringo - March
  • Elizabeth Moon - Vatta's War
  • L E Modesitt - Recluce series
  • Steve McHugh - Hellequin Chronicles ; a recent UK find that I'm enjoying
  • Nathan Lowell - Trader Tales
  • John Hemry - JAG in Space
  • Simon R Green - Deathstalker / Forest Kingdom / Nightside / Secret Histories ; Generally worth it, although sometimes the series don't finish well..
  • David Drake - Republic of Cinnabar
  • Chris Bunch & Allen Cole - Sten
  • Bill Baldwin - Helmsman
  • Jean Johnson - Theirs not to reason why
  • Randolph Lalonde - Spinward Fringe
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #236
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Oh, man; I haven't read Daley in decades... I still have those books sequestered in a box somewhere. Mayhaps I should pull them out (or get digital versions).
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #237
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
FYI - The Fifth Season is on sale for Kindle in the US today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Q?tag=mr060-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyISbetter View Post
You might want to take a look at the following, which are my recent favorite reads in the fantasy/SF realm, all fabulous:
Bennett, Robert Jackson City of Stairs (trilogy)
Liu, Cixin The Three-Body Problem (trilogy)
Jemisin, NK The Fifth Season (trilogy)
Wilson, Kai Ashante A Taste of Honey
Dickinson, Seth The Traitor Baru Cormorant
Hawkins, Scott The Library at Mount Char
Strugatsky, Boris & Arkady Roadside Picnic
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #238
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Maybe not great to ask this in a forum dedicated to ebook reading but are there any books in the Sci-Fi or fantasy space that do interesting things with publishing like S or House of Leaves? I kind of need gift ideas!
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #239
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Maybe not great to ask this in a forum dedicated to ebook reading but are there any books in the Sci-Fi or fantasy space that do interesting things with publishing like S or House of Leaves? I kind of need gift ideas!
I'm not familiar with S or House of Leaves but you might check out Subterranean Press, they do short special edition runs of some books and have had some interesting releases. Nice leatherbound and numbered editions, etc.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #240
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I also read Cryptonomicon ( or how ever you spell it) which is a hard read. My father was a decoder in the Amy so it was somewhat fascinating to read but he was stationed in Libya, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia ( This was late 1950's to early 60's)
I remember very much enjoying the first 80% of Cryptonomicon, and being totally lost through the last 20%. I'm still not sure exactly how it ended or how (if?) the story threads came together.

Spoiler:
I remember there was gold. And Nazis. Something like that.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote