Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #61
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I must say they both look better than I had anticipated. I'm curious about how easy it is to match up the page numbers listed in the PDF for the various articles to pages in document on the reader. If I use a go-to-page function in either of these devices, is it how many screens ahead or can I tie that to the page of the original document?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #62
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Does anybody knows how to add new fonts?

I made 'Font' directory in the root and put some fonts in there. When I do that I can select Font Family from the menu, but I cannot select anything. I don't even see the original font names
The name must be "Fonts". "fonts" as it says in the Quick Start Guide is not working. I just got it to work with the liberation fonts.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #63
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The name must be "Fonts". "fonts" as it says in the Quick Start Guide is not working. I just got it to work with the liberation fonts.
After all, it is a unix (linux) system so case matters in all things.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #64
thydere
thydere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks for the Picture JSWolf, however there are some reasons for which I prefer not to take a Sony Device - though I have to say that the 505 Hardware is pretty nice and the pictures you made show a fine contrast (though that might be pdflrc's doing).

I think the differences between the respective devices is in detail and requires one to tinker with them personally. Unfortunately I haven't seen a store which sells these devices in Germany so far - and I certainly don't have the money to buy several of them. I just made the decision and ordered a Genbook and hope that this has been the right choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa
I'm curious about how easy it is to match up the page numbers listed in the PDF for the various articles to pages in document on the reader. If I use a go-to-page function in either of these devices, is it how many screens ahead or can I tie that to the page of the original document?
zandor's pictures show only a part of the actual page (in the second picture only roughly half the page) although they are labeled 2/3 and 3/3. I take it that the reader in the Genbook understand the counting of the different PDF pages and is able to differentiate between the next page and the next part of the same page - thus enabling a GoTo to jump to the propper page. However this is only guessing on my part based on the pictures presented since I do not own a Genbook at the moment.

But that presents another question: is there the possibility to display the current page when reading html or txt files - as this number might differ in relation to the currently used fontsize? It would be nearly useless to use a GoTo command when you don't even know what the current page number is...
thydere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #65
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I tried it an got only one of them visible. When removed all extra Fonts I also lost 'Verdana' GRRRR

Edit:

Ok...I found out how it works. For one reason or another I cannot add fonts tot this directory. They do not show up. But If I delete the Directory, I get Verdana back, and when I create it again and pul all fonts in there the show up after a reset.

Last edited by Ortep; 11-05-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #66
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thydere View Post
And using the Mobipocket Compiler (the desktop software used to collect the RSS Feed into a mobipocket ebook) is out of question anyway as I am using a mac.
I think I'm going to either write or use one of the already existing scripts to transform RSS Feeds into HTML and automatically put it on the cybook every morning so I can read them on my way to work...

Anyway thanks again for you help.
Feedbooks should work too in this case, we just need a sync tool available on Mac/Linux (should be easy to turn the iLiad application for Feedbooks into such a tool).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I must say they both look better than I had anticipated. I'm curious about how easy it is to match up the page numbers listed in the PDF for the various articles to pages in document on the reader. If I use a go-to-page function in either of these devices, is it how many screens ahead or can I tie that to the page of the original document?
if you have it setup as one page per page then yes you can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 AM   #68
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or if you have it set to display half pages you can simply multiple the page number by 2. Note that in both cases and even with Adobe themselves on a pc with full screen display there is usually an offset based on the number of page before page 1 in th file. So you _always_ have to calculate PDF goto's,

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 AM   #69
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the case.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since this thread is about the 1.0 firmware for the Gen3, what sort of testing has it actually gone through before it was released? I've been reading about a lot of bugs and seeing that the font handling code can actually lock up the device.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #71
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Just a guess, but probably about as much testing as most vendors do, which means about five minutes

Programmer: "I just finished the new firmware and sent it to our QA dept."

Marketing: "Great! Send it over to manufacturing right away, so we can put it on our shipping units."
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bookeen do, however, seem to be extremely responsive about responding to issues. For a v1.0 I'd say it's pretty good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #73
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bookeen do, however, seem to be extremely responsive about responding to issues. For a v1.0 I'd say it's pretty good.
Yes, I'll have to agree that Bookeen seems very responsive, which is great. I was only half kidding with my post. There is a tradeoff between QA and getting updates out in a timely manner. No matter which way you go, someone will be unhappy.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:28 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It would have been nice of Bookeen if they had called the new firmware 1.0 beta. With all the bugs, I don't think it's past a beta stage at present.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:57 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All the bugs?

Don't you think that's a slight exageration, Jon? Reading this forum I'm only aware of one genuine bug, related to adding fonts to the machine, and there is (in most cases at least) a very simple workaround for it, involving deleting one file from the machine. That's hardly a catastrophic catalog of bugs, IMHO . You seem to be determined to find negative points about the Gen3; I prefer to enjoy its positive aspects.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote