Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
hello. I'm from Singapore, having problem deciding which ebook reader!! HELP!

HELLO Everyone. i'm from Singapore and looking forward to get myself a ebook reader, but because of my location, there aren't much choices. i'm looking to get either sony reader daily edition(PRS-900BC), nook, bebook neo, or iliad. which one do you people here suggest? thanks in advance!
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
jerome
Enthusiast
jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Entourage Edge, Dell Streak
you could start by stating the functionalities you're looking for, like screen size, wireless connectivity, touchscreen, keyboard and whether you're using it for casual reading or to view technical docs?

location isn't really a matter, you can just get any of the ereaders you mentioned online. but perhaps you won't be able to try it out before buying it.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

any screen size is okay with me. i would also like to have wireless connection, but can it be used to browse web? touch screen or not is okay with me. i'm using it for reading books and keyboard is not really important to me. but is there one that can listen to music on the go?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
jerome
Enthusiast
jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

considering your location and current eink technology, you can only use wifi devices for web browsing.

among the 8+" devices, there's the Iliad and Entourage Edge. one big difference though, in comparison to other devices is the battery life which lasts only about ~15hrs per charge. the Edge is more of a netbook with screensize comparable to Kindle DX, so not very portable but it has a webcam, and able to run medias linked in PDFs.

6" devices are more popular these days. wifi capable eink devices which are already available now are:
- Alex Spring Design (dual screen, LCD at the bottom, and with a bit of work, you can install apps from Android Marketplace)
- B&N Nook (outsold Kindle recently)
- Bebook Neo/Onyx Boox (touchscreen interface, has several apps)
- Bi Sheng 600TW (capable of making phone calls and txt, T9 keyboard input, text to speech, 60000 page turns on a single charge)
- Pocketbook 302 (touchscreen interface, has several apps, USB host to plug in a keyboard or a light)
- Samsung E60

From what I gather from the forums, the web browsing experience on an e-ink device generally isn't good (at least with the current firmwares) probably due to the slow processor, limited memory and slow refresh. if you use it for light browsing, then it's ok.

they are all capable of playing music. you are able to highlight and annotate on all except Bi Sheng, but 302, Neo and E60 supports freehand annotation. Bi Sheng only supports bookmarks. screen clarity wise, it doesn't make much difference on the devices mentioned above. Alex can play videos on the LCD. some ereaders searches the dictionary when you move the cursor over a word.

you also need to consider the file formats supported (although you can convert from almost anything these days), and if the bookstore it links to has a selection of book suitable for you.

i'm not doing justice with such a brief description but now you can narrow down your choices further based on further criterias.

p.s i'm not familiar with the 5" devices

Last edited by jerome; 05-31-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson7lim View Post
any screen size is okay with me. i would also like to have wireless connection, but can it be used to browse web? touch screen or not is okay with me. i'm using it for reading books and keyboard is not really important to me. but is there one that can listen to music on the go?
nelson7lim - PocketBook 302 has all what you'd like to have in a reader including MP3 player.
And as we came to a conclusion in another thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...book+singapore) the cheapest way to get PocketBook in Singapore is to buy it from an USA dealer.
Alex promised to provide his feedback once he gets the reader.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
considering your location and current eink technology, you can only use wifi devices for web browsing.

among the 8+" devices, there's the Iliad and Entourage Edge. one big difference though, in comparison to other devices is the battery life which lasts only about ~15hrs per charge. the Edge is more of a netbook with screensize comparable to Kindle DX, so not very portable but it has a webcam, and able to run medias linked in PDFs.

6" devices are more popular these days. wifi capable eink devices which are already available now are:
- Alex Spring Design (dual screen, LCD at the bottom, and with a bit of work, you can install apps from Android Marketplace)
- B&N Nook (outsold Kindle recently)
- Bebook Neo/Onyx Boox (touchscreen interface, has several apps)
- Bi Sheng 600TW (capable of making phone calls and txt, T9 keyboard input, text to speech, 60000 page turns on a single charge)
- Pocketbook 302 (touchscreen interface, has several apps, USB host to plug in a keyboard or a light)
- Samsung E60

From what I gather from the forums, the web browsing experience on an e-ink device generally isn't good (at least with the current firmwares) probably due to the slow processor, limited memory and slow refresh. if you use it for light browsing, then it's ok.

they are all capable of playing music. you are able to highlight and annotate on all except Bi Sheng, but 302, Neo and E60 supports freehand annotation. Bi Sheng only supports bookmarks. screen clarity wise, it doesn't make much difference on the devices mentioned above. Alex can play videos on the LCD. some ereaders searches the dictionary when you move the cursor over a word.

you also need to consider the file formats supported (although you can convert from almost anything these days), and if the bookstore it links to has a selection of book suitable for you.

i'm not doing justice with such a brief description but now you can narrow down your choices further based on further criterias.

p.s i'm not familiar with the 5" devices
wow! it may be brief but its alot to me. i get to know alot more ereaders. i find entourage edge quite good. but its a little too costly. the alex spring is not bad too, but i hope the design is abit nicer. nook is something i'm targeting and having in mind, along with bebook neo. but the bebook neo dont seem very popular. why is it so? i'm just using the ebook for simple browsing. i cut down my choices to 3 now... nook, bebook neo and sony prs-900. i'm afraid of nook and prs-900 because i'm afraid i cant buy ebook from other stores. but the bebook doesnt seem popular.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
nelson7lim - PocketBook 302 has all what you'd like to have in a reader including MP3 player.
And as we came to a conclusion in another thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...book+singapore) the cheapest way to get PocketBook in Singapore is to buy it from an USA dealer.
Alex promised to provide his feedback once he gets the reader.
thanks tvpupsik, but how is the web browsing on 302? and how to i get from a usa dealer? i'm in Singapore.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
jerome
Enthusiast

Quote:
i'm afraid of nook and prs-900 because i'm afraid i cant buy ebook from other stores.
i guess your concern would be the protected PRC and MOBI files. there are programs to help you remove the DRM, so that you can convert it to another format compatible to Nook or Sony...BUT removing DRM protection can be illegal in some countries, and distributing it is definately illegal. i've never tried it so don't know how well it works.

Quote:
but the bebook doesnt seem popular.
it's marketing strategy.... there are happy owners of Neo and 302 here in the forum. the 302 has a bug in the web browser which makes it annoying (pointed by NateTheGreat somewhere in a video) but once that's fixed, i think both the readers are pretty cool.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
i'm afraid of nook and prs-900 because i'm afraid i cant buy ebook from other stores. but the bebook doesnt seem popular.
Don't worry about that, both the nook and the PRS900 you can buy books from just about anywhere. With the Nook you can use any epub book and the Sony readers you can use any epub book except the ones from Barns and Noble.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
thanks tvpupsik, but how is the web browsing on 302? and how to i get from a usa dealer? i'm in Singapore.
Hi nelson7lim,

PocketBook is constantly improving its software. A few days ago Webkit Browser Version 0.2 was released for PocketBook 302 and I think we will see many reviews on this forum soon. In the German section of this forum I already saw some positives feedbacks about browsing experince with the new Webkit version.
It is very simple to get the reader from a USA dealer (specifically me ). Please send me a PM here or email me at info@pocketbook.reader-ebook.org for all details.

All the best,
Tatiana
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
i guess your concern would be the protected PRC and MOBI files. there are programs to help you remove the DRM, so that you can convert it to another format compatible to Nook or Sony...BUT removing DRM protection can be illegal in some countries, and distributing it is definately illegal. i've never tried it so don't know how well it works.
i see.. think it shouldnt be much of a problem. thanks mate!

Quote:
it's marketing strategy.... there are happy owners of Neo and 302 here in the forum. the 302 has a bug in the web browser which makes it annoying (pointed by NateTheGreat somewhere in a video) but once that's fixed, i think both the readers are pretty cool.
haha. oh my god! i thought i have eliminated neo because of the low marketing. now neo is back on my list again! should i toss a coin? haha!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
Don't worry about that, both the nook and the PRS900 you can buy books from just about anywhere. With the Nook you can use any epub book and the Sony readers you can use any epub book except the ones from Barns and Noble.
thanks iandix! then i'll leave that behind and look at it carefully.

Tags
singapore