Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
barnacle
Enthusiast
barnacle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Pocket
Managing the collection

I'm a linux user so any existing windows software isn't all that helpful for me; I'm using Calibre to convert and install books on the 300.

At the moment, I don't have too many on there - mid-twenties - but there doesn't seem to be any sane way of managing hierarchical lists when viewed either by author or title. In my innocence, I had imagined some sensible method of handling large numbers of books that didn't involve scrolling through sixty pages of listings (at less than one page a second!)... say, if I have a couple of dozen 'Saint' books, I'd expect to find only a single listing under 'Charteris' and to click there to get to the books themselves, rather than being presented with them all at the top level.

It seems that 'collections', where I might have expected this to work, does something similar and rational, but is based on the tag set at the compilation stage and not the author.

Can it really be that I need to go through the collection setting the tag to the author's name?

Thanks,

Neil
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Yes. You can set the tag to whatever you want, even have multiple tags. One of the choices is the author's name itself of course. Specifying the series is helpful too, if your books are part of a series and you want to view them in the correct order.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
barnacle
Enthusiast

Aye well... not too bright on Sony's part.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I think the collections work very well. It does not take much time to add tags to each book and I like the option of having a single book in multiple collections.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

True, the collections are a cool feature, and very useful. However, Barnacle is right, it would be a good idea to group books of the same author under that author's name automatically, when you view your library sorted by author. Oh well..
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Sony also needs to fix the way it lists authors. Sony books by default list First Name Last Name. If I download from MR it lists Last Name, First Name
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
barnacle
Enthusiast

OMK3 makes my point; this should have been automatic. Now I know it, it's not an issue, but it seems to me that 'collections by tags' should perhaps be different from 'collections by author' and that the 'collections by author' which I now achieve by tagging the author's surname (not 'surname, forename' else it appears in two lists) ought to be the default display on the 'books by author' list.

I'm still looking at options as to how I should separate 'E. E. 'Doc' Smith' from 'Sadie Smith' - as above, 'Smith, Doc' doesn't do it...

I think though that I shall post a feature request for Calibre, automatically to fill the name sort and tags fields when the author's name is filled.

Apropos of which - I discovered that clicking on the Reader icon when the PRS300 is attached allows me to edit the contents of the reader directly - a lot faster and simpler than ploughing through the menus to get to the 'delete' on the device itself. I'm doing a lot of that at the moment as I play with formats and chop and change!

Neil
Old 12-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
omk3
Wizard

Different people organise their books differently in the collections, so maybe automatically making tags with the name's author might not be a very good idea.

If you use the author's name without commas I don't see why you couldn't get two separate collections: "Smith Sadie", "Smith E.E.".
Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I can't always get my Collections to work when I have the sony software up. It won't show the Collections under Reader, so I can't add to them. Its like I have to redo them each time and sometimes it won't even let me do that.

I would prefer something where I could put the books in the order I want to read them in, especially since any thing I check out from the library is what I am going to read first.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
omk3
Wizard

I have no experience with collections on the sony software I'm afraid. But why don't you use calibre? It's good, easy and reliable.
You can create a "series" called something like "to be read", and number your books within this series. The only problem is you have to load the whole series at the same time on your reader, otherwise the books may not be in the right order.