Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Actually, I'm mostly just joking around. My wife won't care about a new PaperWhite. SHE's the one who signed us up for Amazon Prime, so of course she has to expect me to be tempted by these Prime member sales they have from time to time!

Oh, yeah. And I saw a RavPower portable battery charger on sale on Prime today too. Bought that as well. We wouldn't want my new PaperWhite to run out of juice, now would we?!
No, we can't let it run out of juice. Oh and you need another flashlight. The flex blade for the kitchenaid and more batteries for the lasers. Another cookbook would be nice too.
Slicers and peelers are a must.
Oh wait the last two sentences are goodwill finds.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #17
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Oh and you need another flashlight.
No, no, no I don't! You can't walk three feet in our house without tripping over some new LED light I just couldn't resist buying. And when a new one comes out and I just can't justify buying it for myself, I buy it anyway, and give it to my daughter or son. But for them, I always make sure to get a light that works over a wide voltage range - so they don't have to worry about which lights must use NiMH and which can additionally use the higher voltage LiIon. And I buy them chargers that will handle any battery technology, so they don't have to worry about using the correct charger either.

I only have three eBook capable devices so far, so I'm not a reader-a-holic (yet). But when you mentioned flashlights, well, I have many dozens of those and probably qualify as a flash-a-holic! I was one of the early CandlePower Forum members, back when the only flashlight reviewer was Craig, and we all eagerly awaited his each and every review. Now there are five million people doing reviews with all kinds of fancy equipment. I don't go to CPF too much anymore though, it's been a few years for me.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, no, no I don't! You can't walk three feet in our house without tripping over some new LED light I just couldn't resist buying. And when a new one comes out and I just can't justify buying it for myself, I buy it anyway, and give it to my daughter or son. But for them, I always make sure to get a light that works over a wide voltage range - so they don't have to worry about which lights must use NiMH and which can additionally use the higher voltage LiIon. And I buy them chargers that will handle any battery technology, so they don't have to worry about using the correct charger either.

I only have three eBook capable devices so far, so I'm not a reader-a-holic (yet). But when you mentioned flashlights, well, I have many dozens of those and probably qualify as a flash-a-holic! I was one of the early CandlePower Forum members, back when the only flashlight reviewer was Craig, and we all eagerly awaited his each and every review. Now there are five million people doing reviews with all kinds of fancy equipment. I don't go to CPF too much anymore though, it's been a few years for me.
I thought we were the only flashlight junkies. Not to enable, but have you seen the new flashlights with the work light on the side? Hubby bought 6 of the cheap ones to throw in the car and the truck. He also carries a pen light in his pocket at all times.
We have 2 or 3 of those chargers. As per other chargers, if you come visit, there will be a charger near you.

On ereaders, I have 3 kindles, a fire, a kobo and an Alturek (but it only works plugged in). (It wasn't charged for over 2 years). Let's not talk about tablets.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
???
Why not just get a flashlight app for your cell 'phone?

Then you have a reason to buy a newer, bigger, brighter screen cell 'phone whenever they come out instead of just another flashlight.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #20
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
???
Because a cellphone won't do THIS:

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-08-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
???

Then you have a reason to buy a newer, bigger, brighter screen cell 'phone whenever they come out instead of just another flashlight.
Because I don't want a bigger cell phone.
Let me see if I do have a flashlight app already.
Yep have an app for that.
Hey check out the Army Knife for Android.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 10-08-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #23
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Dr. Drib: why can't the site just downscale "too big" images anyway? It's just a matter of running mogrify(1) or a similar tool over it in the backend. Doing this by whining nonstop at new users is offputting (to the users), distracting (to everyone else), and a total waste of the moderators' time. Plus quite often it destroys useful information and renders threads unreadable by anyone else at a later date, damaging the site's considerable archival value.

Is the problem just that the site software has no maintainers so nobody can change the code? (If so, the site's in *big* trouble and that should be fixed pronto before it fails completely.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Dr. Drib: why can't the site just downscale "too big" images anyway? It's just a matter of running mogrify(1) or a similar tool over it in the backend. Doing this by whining nonstop at new users is offputting (to the users), distracting (to everyone else), and a total waste of the moderators' time. Plus quite often it destroys useful information and renders threads unreadable by anyone else at a later date, damaging the site's considerable archival value.

Is the problem just that the site software has no maintainers so nobody can change the code? (If so, the site's in *big* trouble and that should be fixed pronto before it fails completely.)
Oh yes, this one was a very important image. It was a guy lighting up a forest.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:49 AM   #25
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Ah, well, I couldn't know that because by the time I got to it our trusty random deleters, oh wait, moderators had got to it.

(I've seen moderation. Doing something an image-resizer could do, only worse, and chiding your readers for that, is not moderation.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #26
haertig
Wizard

It was an unimportant joke picture that I posted. A picture of a guy with a bright flashlight illuminating a landscape, showing what a cellphone flashlight could not do. Of no significance, just a joke. The pic was maybe 700x700 or 800x800 if I can remember well enough to estimate. It was a link to a freely available picture elsewhere, not an upload to this website. I posted it in ignorance of the rules for this website. I did indeed glance over those rules when I joined recently, but did not pick up on the image size for linked images. I guess I must have assumed that the size had to do more with uploaded images, ones that a website has to actually store on their hosting servers, thus costing website resources.

No harm, no foul. Live and learn. I don't feel chided. I was just afflicted with "newbie ignorance" in this case. Probably not a whole lot of need for posting images on a reading website, except for book covers and eReader device pictures (or jokes every now and then).
Old 10-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It was an unimportant joke picture that I posted. A picture of a guy with a bright flashlight illuminating a landscape, showing what a cellphone flashlight could not do. Of no significance, just a joke. The pic was maybe 700x700 or 800x800 if I can remember well enough to estimate. It was a link to a freely available picture elsewhere, not an upload to this website. I posted it in ignorance of the rules for this website. I did indeed glance over those rules when I joined recently, but did not pick up on the image size for linked images. I guess I must have assumed that the size had to do more with uploaded images, ones that a website has to actually store on their hosting servers, thus costing website resources.

No harm, no foul. Live and learn. I don't feel chided. I was just afflicted with "newbie ignorance" in this case. Probably not a whole lot of need for posting images on a reading website, except for book covers and eReader device pictures (or jokes every now and then).
And in other news, did you remember new filters for your vacuum cleaner?

There are actually many uses for images.
Oh have you found the lounge yet? Fun, games and on occasion food. Or whatever else strikes your fancy.
This is so much more than just a reading site.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
OH,
I thought it was a picture of a guy with his pant's zipper open.

You can also watch/listen to this site:
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #29
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
... have you seen the new flashlights with the work light on the side? Hubby bought 6 of the cheap ones to throw in the car and the truck...
I found out about those last night ... at a battery store ... while looking for a replacement battery for my 8 year old mobile phone. Didn't find the battery, but the flashlight sure is cool! I think I need to buy a few more of those tonight!

Last edited by frquixote; 10-10-2017 at 09:50 PM.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote