Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
hudsong
hudsong began at the beginning.

Device: Razr
OSX Support & DRM Nonsence

Will the Cybook work on OSX? I didn't see any Q/A about this when I searched, though I may have missed it.
hudsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsong View Post
Will the Cybook work on OSX? I didn't see any Q/A about this when I searched, though I may have missed it.
Should. If you can run Mobipocket Desktop Reader under it, you should be able to register the Cybook. I've not got a Mac to be sure, but we will be testing just that as soon as possible. Until then, it's just a guess.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Should. If you can run Mobipocket Desktop Reader under it, you should be able to register the Cybook.
MobiPocket is aggressively Windows-centric on the desktop. They have no software at all for OSX or Linux. This means that you can't used MobiPocket Desktop Reader to manage your secure .mobi files (which need an ID from each device you want to read the file on encoded into the file's DRM). However, you can manually register your devices. Once the .mobi (.prc) file has been generated for your device ID it is just a file and can be handled like other files.

The Cybook isn't only for DRM-infested .mobi books, and the normal way to transfer any content from any desktop machine to the Cybook is via USB - with the Cybook showing up as a USB filesystem. For some devices (I'm not sure if this will include the Cybook) MobiPocket Desktop Reader also manages the transfer of .mobi files to the device - but it isn't doing anything that can't be done manually.

Finally, some file formats that MobiPocket (not Cybook) advertises as "supported" by their reader software actually gets translated into a .mobi file by Windows-only software (MobiPocket Desktop Reader or MobiPocket Desktop Creator). In this case, third party software may be able to do an equally good job of the translation - and are your only option on non-Windows machines.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How do you find out what the PID is for your Cybook Gen3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How do you find out what the PID is for your Cybook Gen3?
We'll find out shortly. I've got two Secure Mobipocket ebooks -1 Fictionwise purchase and 1 Mobipocket purchase - that I'm hoping to read on my Cybook as soon as I get the proper updated firmware. No, I don't know what the process is or what the status of implementing the 'register of the Cybook' is.

Sorry.

Derek
Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 AM   #6
hudsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
MobiPocket is aggressively Windows-centric on the desktop. They have no software at all for OSX or Linux. This means that you can't used MobiPocket Desktop Reader to manage your secure .mobi files (which need an ID from each device you want to read the file on encoded into the file's DRM). However, you can manually register your devices. Once the .mobi (.prc) file has been generated for your device ID it is just a file and can be handled like other files.

The Cybook isn't only for DRM-infested .mobi books, and the normal way to transfer any content from any desktop machine to the Cybook is via USB - with the Cybook showing up as a USB filesystem. For some devices (I'm not sure if this will include the Cybook) MobiPocket Desktop Reader also manages the transfer of .mobi files to the device - but it isn't doing anything that can't be done manually.

Finally, some file formats that MobiPocket (not Cybook) advertises as "supported" by their reader software actually gets translated into a .mobi file by Windows-only software (MobiPocket Desktop Reader or MobiPocket Desktop Creator). In this case, third party software may be able to do an equally good job of the translation - and are your only option on non-Windows machines.
Ok, so since I won't be using the DRM'd "Mobi" books, but I will be using PDFs/RTF files, it sounds like the Cybook will be usable as if it were just any other USB device with storable memory (ipod, flash drive etc etc)?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:55 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsong View Post
I believe that it just appears as a USB mass storage device. Should work fine with Mac, Linux, whatever.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
We'll find out shortly. I've got two Secure Mobipocket ebooks -1 Fictionwise purchase and 1 Mobipocket purchase - that I'm hoping to read on my Cybook as soon as I get the proper updated firmware. No, I don't know what the process is or what the status of implementing the 'register of the Cybook' is.

Sorry.

Derek
So how do you purchase a MobiPocket format book now for your Cybook? Either you have to know your PID or you have to have software to allow you to make the purchase. If you are using MobiPocket Desktop for Windows, then there is a place that shows your reading devices and their PID. Plug in the Cybook and have a look and see if it shows. If it shows, then I know for sure you can use a MAC or Linux to purchase Mobi format books from some vendors at least.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So how do you purchase a MobiPocket format book now for your Cybook? Either you have to know your PID or you have to have software to allow you to make the purchase. If you are using MobiPocket Desktop for Windows, then there is a place that shows your reading devices and their PID. Plug in the Cybook and have a look and see if it shows. If it shows, then I know for sure you can use a MAC or Linux to purchase Mobi format books from some vendors at least.
Mobi haven't yet released a version of the Desktop Reader which supports the CyBook; it'll be supported in the next release.

On most versions of the MobiPocket Reader, the device ID is shown in the "Help/About" menu item. On the iLiad, the device itself generates a text file containing the ID from the MAC address.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Well... First thing is that I've already *registered* my WinPC and my Dell PocketPC with Mobi and Fictionwise. So I'm just waiting for Mobi (which I hope will happen soon) to add Cybook to its list and post a 'registration' software plugin for the Cybook.

And, yes, to answer an earlier post, the Cybook appears as a USB removable mass-storage device when I plug it in. No need to run a special application.

Derek
Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
hudsong

That's great, seems much more elegant than the Sony's required software.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well... First thing is that I've already *registered* my WinPC and my Dell PocketPC with Mobi and Fictionwise. So I'm just waiting for Mobi (which I hope will happen soon) to add Cybook to its list and post a 'registration' software plugin for the Cybook.
Hi Derek,

Are you sure that the MobiPocket ID of the CyBook isn't displayed anywhere within the CyBook itself? That's where I would have expected to see it? It's not in a file somewhere, or on an "About" menu?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #13
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Hudsong

I have Mobipocket on a pda with OSX on my laptop. The Mobipocket PDA software told me what the PID of the device was - I then went to their website and registered it. It took as long as it takes to fill in the form to set up an account. It would be exzpect that Mobipocket on the CyBook would work in the same way. But if you're concerned why don't you contact Bookeen direct at : contact@bookeen.com
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Mobipocket PIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi Derek,

Are you sure that the MobiPocket ID of the CyBook isn't displayed anywhere within the CyBook itself? That's where I would have expected to see it? It's not in a file somewhere, or on an "About" menu?
That's a good question. The answer is "I don't know". And the reason I don't know is there is no "About" menu on the Cybook - at least not in version 0.91 of the firmware. I've gone through the files I *can* access while it's hooked up and I can't find anything like that. Of course, I'm not a Mobi 'expert' and I could be staring at it in one or two of the files without even recognizing it for what it may be.

Derek
Old 09-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
On the iLiad the PID is in a file named Mobipocket_PID.txt in the root directory that is exported via USB. This file is created the first time the iLiad MobiPocket Reader is opened.

On the Pepper Pad 3 (running a version of the same Java-based reader as the iLiad) the PID is under the "settings" top level menu tab in the reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote