Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Satrap
Satrap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Unhappy KIndle Paperwhite 2 - still repairable or it's time for a new one

Hi,

yesterday I wanted to start read a book again after a quite a long pause of 4-5 Month. So I took my Kindle out of a box, connected it to the charge and found out that it has quite a few vertical lines in the middle of display.

Tried to reboot, reset it. Nothing helps. Display also does not seem to be cracked and I don't know why. Kindle was in the box on a shelf for couple month, so I don't think it's mechanical damage.

Is there still hope for my Kindle Paperwhite 2 or it's just scrap now and it's time to get a new one?

I bought this Kindle around end of 2013. So there is warranty from Amazon anymore.

Last edited by Satrap; 03-23-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Add image
Satrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Hi, it looks like the screen is broken to me.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
Hi, it looks like the screen is broken to me.
Couldn't it also be a bad cable connection?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Satrap

Since there is no warranty anymore, I opened my Kindle PW2 and cleaned all cables that are connected to motherboard (except the one for backlight) with isopropyl alcohol and I don't see any changes.

Do those flat cables have a connector on the backside of display or are they built in to display? I did't took display out of the frame becouse it's glued to the frame and I don't want to crack it.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Couldn't it also be a bad cable connection?
Yes, it could.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
The connector is permanently joined to the screen. Screens are very easy to change, though: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...p-1-c-802.html
Make sure the serial number on your screen cable matches the replacement. I've replaced Kindle screens several times with no problems. Use a butter knife to work the screen free, inserting it from the face of the Kindle. The replacement screen will just stick to the same sticky surface. It's double-stick tape, and not that strong.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Satrap

I tried to remove the screen today and now it's cracked for sure Even heating up the frame and display did not help. However I checked for spare parts / display in Europe/Germany an prices are pretty high. http://www.powerbookmedic.com does not have the display I need on stock and if I count price + shipment + customes fees it's just not worth it. At the moment we have Easter holiday sales and I can buy I new one for approx. 60-75 EUR. This is the price with Amazon "special offers" on the screen. Would be great to know if those "special offers" are removable.

and it's just pity I cannot use the old motherboard from my current PW2 as it's still OK.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:58 AM   #8
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satrap View Post
I tried to remove the screen today and now it's cracked for sure Even heating up the frame and display did not help. However I checked for spare parts / display in Europe/Germany an prices are pretty high. http://www.powerbookmedic.com does not have the display I need on stock and if I count price + shipment + customes fees it's just not worth it. At the moment we have Easter holiday sales and I can buy I new one for approx. 60-75 EUR. This is the price with Amazon "special offers" on the screen. Would be great to know if those "special offers" are removable.

and it's just pity I cannot use the old motherboard from my current PW2 as it's still OK.
60? How? It's 75 euros on Amazon.de, am I not seeing another discount? 75 is already a crazy discount, for sure take advantage of it.

The special offers are removable, either for 20 euros if you do it yourself, or if you contact customer service and ask them for help in removing them, they'll for sure do it for free.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
Satrap

there is another discount on ebay.de with 15€*off, which drops the price to 64€. so I just bought a new one.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #10
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Time for a replacement

Given that this paperwhite is almost 5 years old you might want to think about investing in a new one rather than in sinking money into this old model. The newer ones arent that expensive and would give you at least another 5 years god willing.

Also, once the PW gets to a certain age amazon stops updating it. Go nuts and buy a new one. Those are my two cents.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:29 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
The special offers are removable, either for 20 euros if you do it yourself, or if you contact customer service and ask them for help in removing them, they'll for sure do it for free.
Asking to have it removed for free doesn't always work and is not the right thing to do either. Now if you tell them that your old one broke and you wanted to know if they could move the ads over, they might be willing.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote