Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
prosodyspeaks
prosodyspeaks began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo glo, screen broken?

Hi, thanks for (potentially!) helping...

After lending out my original - well loved - kobo and not getting it back I bought a glo (non hd) for my son. The screen is now damaged, left side doesn't change display but still registers button presses.

I have disassembled the device and there is no obvious physical damage (or there wasn't until I broke the retaining clip for battery to pcb connector!)

There is a perfectly straight and vertical division between fully functioning screen on the right and frozen screen on left - i saw on another post that this might indicate something other than mechanically trashed screen...

Any deas?
prosodyspeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
prosodyspeaks

Attachments not working on. Phone but picture here: https://i.imgur.com/Tyt9cXh.jpg
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Unfortunately, you have a broken substrate.

Replacing the screen is not cost-effective. Best to junk it or harvest it for parts.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is obvious physical damage but you can only see it if you can expose the back of the display, which is usually hidden under mainboard and backplate. (If you google broken eink substrate, you might find some pictures where it's shown both front and back. the back is like a mirror and obviously broken glassware).

The display is the most expensive part of the reader, and at the same time also the most fragile, and hardest to reach. You can order replacement screen from china but it's still not cheap, it has to arrive at your place unbroken, it has to be the right part for the device (can't use any other screen), and you have to manage to perform the replacement without causing damage...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosodyspeaks View Post
After lending out my original - well loved - kobo and not getting it back I bought a glo (non hd) for my son. The screen is now damaged, left side doesn't change display but still registers button presses.

I have disassembled the device and there is no obvious physical damage (or there wasn't until I broke the retaining clip for battery to pcb connector!)

There is a perfectly straight and vertical division between fully functioning screen on the right and frozen screen on left - i saw on another post that this might indicate something other than mechanically trashed screen...
That only applies if all the lines are perfectly vertical/perpendicular. That diagonal/curved line across your screen is broken glass. Sorry.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
prosodyspeaks

brilliant, thanks for your quick replies!

used replacements (whole unit) are only 50quid these days - I certainly won't be sourcing a screen!

thanks again.