Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #61
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chal61 View Post
I couldn't succeed. K3 wifi 3.1 + Jailbreak...

Update process fails with U007 error.

Let's hope for Dukan's next release...
I think Dukan uses their own jailbreak in the package (aka, it was designed to work without "jailbreaking"). However, they have not updated their package to use the new method for 3.1 that I found yet. If you know linux, you can extract the update and repackage it, or you can wait for their next release.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #62
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Not sure that my problem is connected with the new jailbreak, but certainly with the 3.1 fw.

I have a 3.0.3 Kindle 3G, jailbroken while still 3.0.2, then updated to 3.0.3, several hacks installed: launchpad, usbnetwork, European Keyboard, Free Download, Readability mod [EDIT] plus the wpa_supplicant hack to use enterprise wifi and a FBreader [/EDIT]. With this I installed the new jailbreak, downloaded 3.1 update and started updating.

First I get the Updating screen, then Update Successful, after restart, Updating again, small font in the lower right corner says "Phase 1 of 2", after a while, it says "Update was not successful, restarting."

I thought I may need to create the jailbreak folder with AMAZON_UPDATES file or perhaps clean all remaining files after previously testing Duokan, but nothing helps. The update always fails.

Any ideas? What is it that the Amazon update actually checks and what can fail the update?

Last edited by otichy; 02-22-2011 at 05:55 PM.
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #63
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Jailbreak and screensaver hack worked fine for me
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #64
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
I currently have 3.0.1 with jailbreak + screensaver/font/duokan, what is the best approach to just do a "Restore to Default Settings" - Install 3.1, then use this jailbreak then install hacks

OR

Can I just install 3.1 officially with all hacks installed from 3.0.1 and just use this jailbreak if I need to install any further hacks?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #65
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
In think you are right, and it can be deleted, as the stock screen savers must be in the other folders (as they are for the un-hacked Kindle my hubby has) but I'll post back when I know for sure.
Yes, clearly an unhacked Kindle keeps the screensaver images in another folder. Your question is simply, does the existence of the linkss folder after your uninstall indicate that the uninstall failed, or is it simply a leftover folder that the uninstall failed to delete. I suspect the latter.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #66
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Yes, clearly an unhacked Kindle keeps the screensaver images in another folder. Your question is simply, does the existence of the linkss folder after your uninstall indicate that the uninstall failed, or is it simply a leftover folder that the uninstall failed to delete. I suspect the latter.
I did a quick comparison of the other Kindles, we have a wifi and another 3G Kindle in the house, and after uninstalling the 3.1 update the only anomaly was the existance of the linkss folder on my 3G.

I gambled and deleted it (I did take a copy first)

and ''touch wood'' it all seems okay, my folders now look identical to the other kindles, I even showed hidden files so I could do a proper check, and it all seems okay. I am charging it now, sooooooooooo with a bit of luck I now have a vanilla Kindle again

Thanks for all your help Hollow Man and for yifanlu for his awesome 3.1 jailbreak

I am not doing this again!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #67
chal61
chal61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 WiFi
@billmilo:
In my K3wifi with 3.1+Jailbreak, screensaver installs without any problem.
Duokan instead fails installing.

@yifanlu: altough I know linux, I don't have experience in embedded systems and don't know what's happening behind the curtain...
chal61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #68
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
So many posts coming so fast...I'm gonna ask anyway. I have 3.1 installed over previous JB and SS hacks. Everything works fine. Is is most prudent to install the new JB and uninstall the old JB? Or is there no reason to do this at this time? (I realize that without the new JB I'm locked out of uninstalling previous hacks, but I have no interest in uninstalling them now.)
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #69
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otichy View Post
Not sure that my problem is connected with the new jailbreak, but certainly with the 3.1 fw.

I have a 3.0.3 Kindle 3G, jailbroken while still 3.0.2, then updated to 3.0.3, several hacks installed: launchpad, usbnetwork, European Keyboard, Free Download, Readability mod [EDIT] plus the wpa_supplicant hack to use enterprise wifi and a FBreader [/EDIT]. With this I installed the new jailbreak, downloaded 3.1 update and started updating.

First I get the Updating screen, then Update Successful, after restart, Updating again, small font in the lower right corner says "Phase 1 of 2", after a while, it says "Update was not successful, restarting."

I thought I may need to create the jailbreak folder with AMAZON_UPDATES file or perhaps clean all remaining files after previously testing Duokan, but nothing helps. The update always fails.

Any ideas? What is it that the Amazon update actually checks and what can fail the update?
The problem is that one or more of your hacks modified the system files (I think the wpa enterprise one). Amazon updates fail if you modify any of their files. You need to uninstall all hacks (just to be sure) and and previous update. Upgrade to 3.1. Then reinstall jailbreak and hacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
So many posts coming so fast...I'm gonna ask anyway. I have 3.1 installed over previous JB and SS hacks. Everything works fine. Is is most prudent to install the new JB and uninstall the old JB? Or is there no reason to do this at this time? (I realize that without the new JB I'm locked out of uninstalling previous hacks, but I have no interest in uninstalling them now.)
You don't need this jailbreak unless you want to install new hacks, update your hacks, or uninstall them.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #70
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Ok, I've updated the package along with more detailed installation directions.

In this "new version", a couple of changes have been made:
1) This will uninstall update-provider-hack if it exists to prevent conflicts
2) No more "jailbreak" folder with files in it. You just need one file "ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES" if it exists on the USB root (and you restart), the Kindle will use hack updates. If it doesn't (and you restart), the Kindle will use Amazon updates.
3) There is no need to "upgrade" if the jailbreak worked for you unless you're OCD like me and don't like having a "jailbreak" folder on the USB.
4) If you used the "main" version before (the one that created the "jailbreak" folder), you can install this on top and it will remove the old version. If you used the "advanced" version that existed in the zip file within the zip file, you need to uninstall first.
5) I added packages for Kindle 2 and older. They are untested so use at your own risk.

Last edited by yifanlu; 02-22-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #71
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Amazing! Thank you!
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #72
chal61

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Ok, I've updated the package along with more detailed installation directions.
<snip>
4) If you used the "main" version before (the one that created the "jailbreak" folder), you can install this on top and it will remove the old version.
<snip>
Doesn't work for me.
Current status: 3.1+Jailbreak ver 0.1+ss 0.18.

I get U007 when I update my K3wifi with update_jailbreak_0.3_k3w_install.bin.

Do I have to remove manually the jailbreak directory?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #73
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Quote:
The problem is that one or more of your hacks modified the system files (I think the wpa enterprise one). Amazon updates fail if you modify any of their files. You need to uninstall all hacks (just to be sure) and and previous update. Upgrade to 3.1. Then reinstall jailbreak and hacks
Good point! Thanks! Removed almost all hacks and especially those that somehow modified files outside /mnt/us and updated to 3.1 just fine.

One user suggestion - wouldn't it be possible to do away with the hack enabling file completely? Suppose you would rather check for .bin files in root. If it starts with "Update_kindle_" you switch to Amazon mode, if with something else, you switch to Hack mode. Of course you still need to reboot, but at least you don't need to mess up with empty files. Saying that, your current solution is still pretty cool!
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #74
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chal61 View Post
Doesn't work for me.
Current status: 3.1+Jailbreak ver 0.1+ss 0.18.

I get U007 when I update my K3wifi with update_jailbreak_0.3_k3w_install.bin.

Do I have to remove manually the jailbreak directory?
Oops, stupid OSX snuck some hidden files (unsigned) into the package. I've updated it and it should work now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otichy View Post
Good point! Thanks! Removed almost all hacks and especially those that somehow modified files outside /mnt/us and updated to 3.1 just fine.

One user suggestion - wouldn't it be possible to do away with the hack enabling file completely? Suppose you would rather check for .bin files in root. If it starts with "Update_kindle_" you switch to Amazon mode, if with something else, you switch to Hack mode. Of course you still need to reboot, but at least you don't need to mess up with empty files. Saying that, your current solution is still pretty cool!
That's a great idea, but a "listener" looking for the update file on constant loop would eat away the battery.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #75
chal61

Quote:
Oops, stupid OSX snuck some hidden files (unsigned) into the package. I've updated it and it should work now.
Thanks for your efforts yifanlu, but still no luck, update_jailbreak_0.3_k3w_install.bin gives U007 and at reboot the jailbreak directory is still present in kindle's root dir.

Now I'm going to sleep mode... as well as my kindle!

Tags
jailbreak kindle 3.1, yifanlu jailbreak