Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Alternative to that little foam/fabric 'sleeve'?

My 300 came with a little foam fabric 'sleeve' that I liked better than the lighted cover I had because it doesn't interfere with portability but still provided some protection. But the 350 does't come with anything like that and I haven't seen anything in the shops and a casual internet search came up with expensive covers but nothing like that cheap little sleeve.

I've been using the sleeve that came with my 300, but I'd like something tailored to the 350. Has anyone encountered something similar? I like the 'foamy' fabic that the sleeve for the 300 was made from because I felt it could rattle around in the saddlebags of my motorcycle without damage.

Anyone seen something similar?

Additional -- regarding lighted covers. That cover sounded like a great idea when I was going through the sweet agony of buying stuff. But after buying it, I remembered that I rarely try to read in the dark.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 10-08-2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: more brilliance to share . . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
As a suggestion, make an investment and buy a cover that offers protection from screen breakage. I use the Book Armor case with Sony cover to protect my 505.

http://www.amazon.com/BookArmor-Trav.../dp/B002XB445Q

I think CaseLogic and others make hard shell covers but am not sure which one is closest in size to your unit.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Book Armor is fantastic. The 350/300 case fits the reader inside the sony slip cover or deluxe cover.

I'm thinking of trying the case logic case, but I don't know if the reader fits inside with the sony cover on it.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'd like something tailored to the 350. Has anyone encountered something similar?
I'm looking for the same. I really like the pink & purple ones on the Sony website but they make one size to fit both the 350 and 650. How silly is that?

I love reading without a cover but have had to resort to the Sony two-tone without light. Not ideal, but at least it fits my 350.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
So the 650 does not have a cover like the PRS-505 came with?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Has anyone encountered something similar? I like the 'foamy' fabic that the sleeve for the 300 was made from because I felt it could rattle around in the saddlebags of my motorcycle without damage.
Anyone seen something similar?
Having the same saddlebag problem, I made a bombproof sleeve for my Sony. I found two mini-computer (I don't know another name for this size) foam cases at a large computer store, just about an inch or two longer than the Sony. One is made of thick neoprene and the other is made from 'sorbothane.' Neoprene absorbs vibration and sorbothan absorbs impact. Both are clam-shell design with zippers that close three sides.

Besides carry on the bike, I also needed something I could easily use in the pocket of my shoulder bag without having to remove and unzip each time I wanted my reader. I put one cover inside the other and cut off the excess material at one end. Now the zipper only closed the bottom and the side. I used 'ShoGoo' glue to glue those zippers permanently shut. The reader slides in or out from the top. This double case is less than 1/2 inch larger on each side than the reader itself. For even more protection I can slide a stiff piece of acrylic or kydex between the two cases, one sheet on each side, making this case almost bullet proof but still with easy access to my reader.

While I wouldn't want to substitute this case for a ceramic armor plate in a ballistic vest, I do feel confident it can withstand anything my saddlebags or a baggage handler at the airport could to do it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Useful info, but I had a motorcycle accident this afternoon. (my motorcycle is OK) A woman apparently discovered it was possible for her to drive a car with her head shoved firmly up her ass (arse,I guess, for those outside north America) and she pulled out in front of me causing me to fly off the bike and slide down the pavement on my chest. my 350 was in the little 300 foamy sleeve in my inside jacket pocket and in spite of the severe shock, still works. Those little sleeves really work well.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
and she pulled out in front of me causing me to fly off the bike and slide down the pavement on my chest.
My goodness, I hope you're okay?!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Useful info, but I had a motorcycle accident this afternoon. (my motorcycle is OK)
Good to hear that you, your bike, and your book reader are OK.

Cage drivers are a special breed. They never see motorcycles or bicycles, no matter what kind of lights, reflectors, or visual devices we use. Drivers turning across intersections in front of us, coming out of driveways, or just changing lanes. That accounts for more motorcycle injuries than all other road problems combined. In 35 years of motorcycle riding I've been hit a whole lot of times!

Stitchawl
Old 10-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Glad you're ok!

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Uni.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

I found this at Wal-mart a few months ago(paid about $15). It's thicker than the sleeve that came with my 600, and it closes with a zipper. It does a great job protecting my reader, and when it starts to look dirty, I just throw it in the washer.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingMaNs View Post
Glad you're ok!

I found this at Wal-mart a few months ago(paid about $15). It's thicker than the sleeve that came with my 600, and it closes with a zipper. It does a great job protecting my reader, and when it starts to look dirty, I just throw it in the washer.
That looks like what I made out of the two foam cases, except that this one is nicer looking. .No Wal-marts in this country... yet.

Stitchawl
Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #12
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingMaNs View Post
Glad you're ok!

Body Glove also makes awesome wetsuits . I don't surf but I used to have a Body Glove bikini. It was my #1 favorite swimsuit ever.

I got too soft and squishy for bikinis or I'd probably still wear it.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
My goodness, I hope you're okay?!
I'm fine thanks for asking. I turn 61 next month and this is the first accident on my bike I've ever had. (actually that may be something of a record-not sure) However, at my age, the minor bumps and bruisies do take longer to go away!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
Body Glove also makes awesome wetsuits . I don't surf but I used to have a Body Glove bikini. It was my #1 favorite swimsuit ever.

I got too soft and squishy for bikinis or I'd probably still wear it.
A Body Glove Bikini? The name alone sounds great. . .