Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Jack
I have read your other posts and think I see what your problem is. You have an issue with your Irex that you can't get fixed, is that right?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 AM   #17
jack0909
jack0909 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Jack.
Everyone of those threads refer to a known issue with some batches of E-ink screens and sunlight. Not one refers to a long term fading problem. If an e-ink screen has this problem it is covered by manufacturers warranty. I still do not understand the purpose of this thread. What is it that you are trying to achieve?
---------------

My friend has a iRex DR1000 e-ink reader with a long term fading problem. She got a replaced one from iRex last year, but the screen fading problem has occured in the second one this year. Ink become quite lighter even under normal lamp-light indoor. It's not a individual case. Someone said it is a inherent problem of e-ink Vizplex screen that may occur after using a period of time. I don't know whether e-ink producer has solved the problem perfectly in new Pearl screen.
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #18
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
it might be just a problem with electronics/system of IREX devices - I am not Vizplex expert, but with a bit of my technology background I can tell that it may be just faulty design of eletric field that manages the particles making them fade in time... or any other "not-quite-as-desgned" usage of the epaper by the electronics in the device...

that is the version i'd stick with unless there are reports of such issues from users of other vendor readers...
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0909 View Post
---------------

Someone said it is a inherent problem of e-ink Vizplex screen that may occur after using a period of time. I don't know whether e-ink producer has solved the problem perfectly in new Pearl screen.
Can you point us to this "someone"? Maybe this person works in the industry or is just a person with a theory. Without knowing which, it's hard to take them as a credible source.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've seen the 1st generation eink screen fade a little on the PRS-500. And I have seen a defective Vizplex screen fade in the sunlight. But I have never read/seen/heard of a Vizplex screen fading with use. This sounds like a load of rubbish. The sunlight fading however isn't rubbish. It's just defective screens.
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Jack has been asking this question on every board I post on. I'll give him the same answer here as I did at KB and others have given him. He is even referencing reports made at KB and other bulletin boards, most that are over a year old.

There were a batch of K2 readers that had a real problem with sun fade. They seem to have corrected that problem since there are very rare reports of sun fade with the K2I, none for the K3 so far, and none for the DX or DXG.

The only recent report that I have seen is someone who commented that he used it for the first time outside by the pool and noticed the sun fade but his Kindle was out of warrenty. It was a year old and Amazon replaced it immediatly.

I have a K1 and a DXG. I have not seen any evidence of sun fade on either of my devices.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There were a batch of K2 readers that had a real problem with sun fade.
It was actually a batch of screens made by LG which showed up in every make of eBook reader. Very well-known problem, but totally distinct from any long-term fading issue, which genuinely does not appear to be an issue with Vizplex screens.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #23
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I agree with the other statements that Jack is being rather an alarmist without provide any verifiable proof from PROFESSIONALS that there is actually a long term verifiable problem.

If you and others have had problems with your Irex machines, then get different readers that AREN'T Irex's!

But to attribute Irex problems to the entire rest of the ebook industry is simply wrong & irresponsible.

I have had a Sony 600 for 8 months, and haven't had any problems with fading screens even in direct sunlight for several hours.

Almost all mechanical items have problems at one point or another, and get fixed as others have stated above.

So Jack, until you can provide verifiable proof of your unsubstantiated claims, why don't you just get yourself a new reader & move on from this topic.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #24
traderghost
traderghost began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
My Sony PRS-600 screen has faded permanently to the point that it is totally unusable even indoor. Permanent fade can happen. Mine did.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderghost View Post
My Sony PRS-600 screen has faded permanently to the point that it is totally unusable even indoor. Permanent fade can happen. Mine did.
I too had a problem with a PRS-600 screen, but it was a problem with the screen controller which Sony fixed under warranty. What did Sony say was the problem with your device?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #26
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
When I first heard about the sun fade issue & tested my new PRS-600 in direct sun & it was fine. 2 months later it is exhibiting the problem. Haven't tested it outside, but in front of a window with direct sun coming in, it fades. This screen has developed the symptom while being used under room lighting & no exposure to direct sun until today. I hope I am within the 90 day express exchange period.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #27
traderghost
traderghost began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I too had a problem with a PRS-600 screen, but it was a problem with the screen controller which Sony fixed under warranty. What did Sony say was the problem with your device?
Hi Harry, my country is not an official sales region for Sony Readers, so the Sony office here will not accept any Sony Readers for repair. They don't even have any repair facilities for Sony Readers. I have to send it back to the US where I bought it from. Too bothersome. I'm buying a Jetbook Lite to fill in the gap left behind by my dead PRS-600, until I have the courage to try another e-ink device again
Old 10-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #28
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
My iriver story (should be 8-grayscale vizplex) fades when under direct sunlight.
The fading is not coherent all over the screen, but there are stripes of good contrast alternating with stripes of weak contrast.
When back under shade and after a page turn, the contrast is ok again.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My 650 does not fade in the sun. Well it doesn't fade when the sun is coming in through the window. I'll be properly testing it outside later today.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #30
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The screen on my 505 seems to me to be as good as it was on the day I bought it. And it got quite a bit of heavy use up until this July (when I got my nook). I've not had any problems with fading in direct sunlight for any of my readers (Sony 505, nook, or Sony 650).

dordale
Closed Thread