Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I hope they release some fixes soon too o.o;
I had been very happy with my kindle until it mysteriously froze on me when I was trying to "unsleep" it. There after that very crash, within the 2 days it has crashed on me at least 5 times.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Seeking some information on the cause

If you have the K3 WiFi with the following information, you may have part of a bad lot:

First 10 digits of serial #: B008A0A003
Software version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

At least two of us here, who had to return it for replacements, had that information.

It also could be a random problem in all the lots.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you have the K3 WiFi with the following information, you probably have part of a bad lot:

First 7 digits of serial #: B008A0A
I was under the impression all K3 Wifis had that information, mine does & whilst it's locked a few times (mainly during browser usage) it's not been anything worth returning it for.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Bleh, bad topic name... I thought this was about a new firmware being released, not a question.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
If you have the K3 WiFi with the following information, you probably have part of a bad lot:

At least two of us here, who had to return it for replacements, had that information.
All the Kindle WiFis bought from the US store have that serial number and all the new Kindle have that software version so it isn't conclusive. Not all the Kindle WiFis can be bad and people have reported that their Kindle 3G+WiFi does also sometimes crash even without the rattling sound.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Unless CS specifcally told you this, please don't spread/start rumors. AFAIK all the K3 WiFi devices start out with that serial number and all have the same Firmware. You would have to get farther down the serial number to get into specific batches.

Please go into advanced edit and change your topic name to a question as it is misleading.

Plus yesterday you posted that you walked over 1.5 miles while carrying your K3. How were you carrying it? If you were holding it in your hand and gripping it so that you placed pressure on the screen, then you might have broken it through abuse--basically swinging and squeezing it for an hour, etc.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-06-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Unless CS specifcally told you this, please don't spread/start rumors. AFAIK all the K3 WiFi devices start out with that serial number and all have the same Firmware. You would have to get farther down the serial number to get into specific batches.
This was my feeling about sirmaru posting such things, was particularly surprised by their response to me saying in another thread that my wifi Kindle is fine:
Quote:
Try walking a mile with it in your pocket. See if it resets when turning it on after the walk.

If I leave mine resting horizontally at home, there is no problem. After the walk to Church it went bonkers for a few hours.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Vertical in my pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Please go into advanced edit and change your topic name to a question as it is misleading.

Plus yesterday you posted that you walked over 1.5 miles while carrying your K3. How were you carrying it? If you were holding it in your hand and gripping it so that you placed pressure on the screen, then you might have broken it through abuse--basically swinging and squeezing it for an hour, etc.
It was vertical in my jacket pocket. If I cannot carry it that way, its worthless as a mobile device.

Naturally, I've seen a lot of similar complaints here about crashes, resets, etc. You are correct, however, maybe its not even related to the specific lot. It could be a random problem with the production lines in China.

If it is a random production problem, then it is even worse since ALL the lots may have this possibility of problems.

If I had not carried it to Church, I would have been very satisfied with the unit since it only had a few spontaneous resets when I left it at home in a resting, horizontal position on a table.

I did use advanced edit and changed the title. Thanks.

The first 10 digits of my serial number are: B008A0A003

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-06-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #24
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Naturally, I've seen a lot of similar complaints here about crashes, resets, etc.
They appear to be crashes caused by buggy firmware as they don't mention anything special about shaking or moving the Kindle.

The Kindle 3 is a brand new product and its is guaranteed that there are bugs in the new firmware. Until Amazon have had a chance to fix the bugs with an updated firmware, you along with support from Amazon CS have to carefully determine whether your issues are caused by buggy firmware or are actually indicative of a deeper more serious hardware problem.

Amazon CS are going to err on the side of caution during this period and replace any Kindle that can't be fixed with a simple reset. It is their new flagship product and they'll want good PR especially since it will mean continuing business from you. They'll also want to retrieve potentially faulty units so they can diagnose the issues and find out if there are any production line changes that need to be made.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #25
sirmaru
Wizard

Firmware or hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Amazon CS are going to err on the side of caution during this period and replace any Kindle that can't be fixed with a simple reset. It is their new flagship product and they'll want good PR especially since it will mean continuing business from you. They'll also want to retrieve potentially faulty units so they can diagnose the issues and find out if there are any production line changes that need to be made.
When I spoke to Amazon CS, I told them I thought it could be firmware or hardware. The person I spoke to said she did not hear of any firmware problems or potential upgrades and suggested I replace the unit which I accepted.

My unit did not have anythng loose inside that I could detect. It ONLY had the repetitive, spontaneous resets after a long walk with the unit vertical inside a jacket pocket. After a half hour of horizontal rest on a table, it worked perfectly.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #26
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
When I spoke to Amazon CS, I told them I thought it could be firmware or hardware. The person I spoke to said she did not hear of any firmware problems or potential upgrades and suggested I replace the unit which I accepted.

My unit did not have anythng loose inside that I could detect. It ONLY had the repetitive, spontaneous resets after a long walk with the unit vertical inside a jacket pocket. After a half hour of horizontal rest on a table, it worked perfectly.
Your issues wouldn't have been fixed or caused by firmware so it is correct that the customer service rep suggested that you get your Kindle replaced.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #27
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
I've purchased 4 books so far. After each purchase, Kindle wifi would restart after the download is complete before the new book can show up under home. The last book required a total reboot. I've stopped purchasing through the Kindle for now.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #28
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
I've purchased 4 books so far. After each purchase, Kindle wifi would restart after the download is complete before the new book can show up under home. The last book required a total reboot. I've stopped purchasing through the Kindle for now.
Thats not normal and is most likely a firmware issue but I've not heard of anybody else having this problem. Have you tried resetting it? It sounds like the indexing process or something similar is causing your Kindle to crash. Do you have any non Kindle store items like PDFs, eBooks or music that you added yourself?

I would talk to Amazon CS to see if this is a known problem that requires an update.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #29
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
it is a bit of a sweeping statement/scaremongering to say a certain wifi batch with this number is bad...........I have a 3G one and it has frozen and rebooted a couple of times, so its not isolated to wifi only at all, also others have wifi and have no issues as of yet. Plus I still think its just a software bug that will be ironed out shortly, Im waiting for the first update to see if that helps. I have no real concerns about it at all, if the update doesn't work then Amazon will replace without issue.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #30
sirmaru
Wizard

Possible approaches to all K3 problems

There are three possible approaches to all our possible K3 problems:

1. Just live with it. I have a lot of gadgets with rare, internmttant problems and just live with them. For the most part they work great and I have no real complaints.

2. If the problem only occurs under certain rare circumstances, just avoid those circumstances. For example, in my case, if I kept the K3 in its cover in my wife's handbag, I probably would have had NO problems. By walking a long distance with it in vertical postion without the cover in my jacket pocket, I may have contributed to the problem. Most K3 owners will probably never even walk a mile ever much less carrying the K3. IF I had driven my car with the K3, probably no problem would have been evident either.

3. Replace the unit. Amazon will only do this with a free exchange for 30 days so be very sure if you want to wait awhile be sure that you don't wait too long. I elected that option.

The ironic thing about this is I had the same problem with a Franklin BIB 475 Bible. It always reset in Church but never at home. Eventually, the manufacturer replaced it and the new unit had the SAME PROBLEM. Thus, I never bring that electronic bible to Church anymore.

I had been bringing to Church a NowBible (electronic as well) and never have any problems with that unit.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-06-2010 at 11:23 AM.