Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Search speed on kindle3?

Hi,

sorry to bug you again but this question deserves to have its own thread.

I am thinking about getting a kindle3 for carrying pdf legal texts AND searching them for specific keywords.

How fast and comfortable is the full text search on a kindle? Can you do your own indexing to speed up future searches? How are the search results presented?

Thanks and best regards,

Jens
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Until people receive them, how can anyone give you a credible answer?
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I think the OP just wants to know how it works on the current kindles for reference.

I don't have a kindle, so I can't answer. sorry.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
That's right. Of course I am interested in experiences with kindle2.
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The indexing is run on the background automatically (on usb unplug/whispernet download). It's pretty quick. (around 30/45s for a 6k locations novel, maybe a bit more).

The search in itself is also pretty quick, I'd say around 1.5-4s with ~250 indexed docs. And it's displayed in a table (I'd say 8 or 10 matches per page, too lazy to check ), with an excerpt of the match shown along the title of the doc.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-30-2010 at 03:41 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
One thing to keep in mind is that the Kindle doesn't really search for phrases. Rather, it searches for words, using a boolean AND where applicable.

For example, if you enter the search term Central Park, it would find all passages that have both Central and Park, not necessarily in that order or adjacent to each other. Also, searching for Park wouldn't fine Parking or Parker.

It's not a problem, of course, provided you're aware of it.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Searching is quicker on my Kindle 2 than it was on my Kindle 1. Searching within short documents returns almost immediate results. Searching takes longer for long documents, but it's still surprisingly quick. I expect that Kindle 3 will perform the same as or better than Kindle 2.

If your Kindle is chock full of books, searches of all items (done from the Home Screen, not within a specific document) can produce a long delay before displaying results. My daughter and I sometimes play a searching game with our Kindles (We take turns choosing an obscure word, search for it, get points based on how many hits you have in your collection, laugh about the out of context phrases shown in the search results. Yes, we're THAT nerdy). I have twice the content on my Kindle, and my searches take noticeably longer than hers.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote