Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald 19 25.33%
Topper by Thorne Smith 5 6.67%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 10 13.33%
My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse 2 2.67%
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain 7 9.33%
Fool by Christopher Moore 3 4.00%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 0 0%
A Damon Runyon Omnibus 1 1.33%
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 10 13.33%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 16 21.33%
Candide by Voltaire 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #121
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I should have been clearer - I meant that knowing how the voting is going may encourage tactical voting.
Voters near the deadline are likely to have a bigger impact on deciding the outcome, as they'll know which are the likely winners.
I see what your saying. I'm not sure hiding the votes until the polls close is an option in the software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #122
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I see what your saying. I'm not sure hiding the votes until the polls close is an option in the software.

BOb
I don't care for that idea.

But I have an alternate. Maybe we should let two people do the vote counting for each month to make sure there are no mistakes. Jon and I volunteer for this month!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've noticed a mistake in the poll... The people who voted for Affair really meant to vote for Lamb. You see, these people who voted for Affair live in Florida...
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #124
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't care for that idea.

But I have an alternate. Maybe we should let two people do the vote counting for each month to make sure there are no mistakes. Jon and I volunteer for this month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've noticed a mistake in the poll... The people who voted for Affair really meant to vote for Lamb. You see, these people who voted for Affair live in Florida...
See? We're already proving helpful!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #125
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I don't get the joke
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #126
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I don't get the joke
Big mess up in nation voting when using paper ballots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_(paper)

See second paragraph.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #127
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Wong Biff.
Read one Biff, read 'em all.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #128
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I don't get the joke

Don't feel bad, I don't either.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #129
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
The Eyre Affair doesn't seem to be available in Australia..

Please vote for The Egg and I.. The price difference between these two are over $10.. Surely that would be an incentive...

C'mon, guys...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #130
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post

Please vote for The Egg and I.. The price difference between these two are over $10.. Surely that would be an incentive...

C'mon, guys...
The 'Egg & I' is free on MR - so go and buy 'The Eyre Affair' on top of it and enjoy both books
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #131
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

C'mon, guys...
I only paid $1 for The Eyre Affair at a used book sale Might have something to do with why I nominated it...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #132
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Don't feel bad, I don't either.
See Post #126.

Florida will be a long time living that down!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #133
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Egg and I.
It's on my reader (for free and nicely formatted )

How can one resist to:

... If you marry a doctor, don't whine because he doesn't keep the hours of a shoe clerk, and by the same token if you marry a shoe clerk, don't complain because he doesn't make as much money as a doctor...

This is so out of time and space and so real (useful?)
I expect much from this book!

I started with the idea of voting for Candide. I reread it yesterday and I found it almost sad.

Beppe
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #134
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I only paid $1 for The Eyre Affair at a used book sale Might have something to do with why I nominated it...
I don't read pbook novels anymore.. if it's not available in ebook or available in Australia, I won't be reading it...

So let's vote for The Egg and I, shall we?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #135
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I don't read pbook novels anymore.. if it's not available in ebook or available in Australia, I won't be reading it...

So let's vote for The Egg and I, shall we?
I had already voted before I saw you couldn't get it in Australia, but you still might get your wish. It's in the lead now.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote