Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #46
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Has anybody used these https://www.medgestore.com/products/nook-latitude.psp I'm debating which case to get and my wife said this one stands out. Thanks.
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #47
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I have a cover and was going to order the skin but after I read the reviews about them on B&N website I changed my mind. Most of the reviews say that the skins cause static electricity that attracts dust and pet hairs. Most are not happy with it. There are some sold on ebay but I do not know if they have the same problem.

~eddie
This is helpful. I was considering a black silicon skin because, well, black looks better in business settings. Maybe I'll have to pass on it.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #48
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
I have the M-edge Go jacket!

It has a really nice look and feel. The nook fits perfectly inside.

I have been using it for about 3 days thus far, and so far my only issue is the front cover does not stay flat when you are not using the nook. I wish there was a strap or lock mechanism to keep the top down.

Of course I think through time the cover may start to loosen up some and start staying down.

I just ordered the Jack Spade Waxwear Cover from B&N. I loved the look of this cover sine I saw it on the website.

Once I get that one I will determine which one to keep.
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #49
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
I have the M-edge Go jacket!

It has a really nice look and feel. The nook fits perfectly inside.

I have been using it for about 3 days thus far, and so far my only issue is the front cover does not stay flat when you are not using the nook. I wish there was a strap or lock mechanism to keep the top down.

Of course I think through time the cover may start to loosen up some and start staying down.
I have the same cover. It does loosen up and starts laying more flat over time. What I do is lay it with the left side down so the weight of the Nook keeps it closed and over time helps to relax the material.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #50
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I'm a fan of the Industriell cover from B&N. It reminds me of the old cover that came with my Sony PRS-500. It uses the built-in holes in the nook to clip on and doesn't have any loops or pockets to obscure the nook frame.

I kept my old reader, cover and all, in a gutted, nylon, zip-up, daytimer case for travel. The nook's size has prevented me from doing that yet.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #51
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I'm a fan of the Industriell cover from B&N. It reminds me of the old cover that came with my Sony PRS-500. It uses the built-in holes in the nook to clip on and doesn't have any loops or pockets to obscure the nook frame.

I kept my old reader, cover and all, in a gutted, nylon, zip-up, daytimer case for travel. The nook's size has prevented me from doing that yet.
I have the Industriell cover, as well. I am going on my first trip with it today but I don't anticipate the need for a separate travel hard case or cover. Should I consider one?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #52
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

I can't imagine why. I just got the digital camo daytimer for the coolness factor. It also had an mp3 player pocket with a passthrough hole for headphones, so it served a double purpose for me.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #53
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Hello all,

I went ahead and ordered an Oberon cover for my nook today. I picked that cover mostly because of great reviews on this thread.

I'm also planning to buy a screen protector, but I'm wondering whether I should also buy a skin. I was thinking of one of those clear skins from ebay for around $10. I'm thinking the skin would provide extra cussion for nook (in case of a fall or a hit) and to prevent the page turning buttons from eventually getting dirty.

My concern is: nook in skin may stretch the covers' straps that hold it in place inside the cover, and then if I decide to put nook in the cover without the silicon skin, the cover's straps would stretch (to the size of nook in skin) and the cover wouldn't hold nook as firmly anymore. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for all the feedback,
Marek
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Hello all,

I went ahead and ordered an Oberon cover for my nook today. I picked that cover mostly because of great reviews on this thread.

I'm also planning to buy a screen protector, but I'm wondering whether I should also buy a skin. I was thinking of one of those clear skins from ebay for around $10. I'm thinking the skin would provide extra cussion for nook (in case of a fall or a hit) and to prevent the page turning buttons from eventually getting dirty.

My concern is: nook in skin may stretch the covers' straps that hold it in place inside the cover, and then if I decide to put nook in the cover without the silicon skin, the cover's straps would stretch (to the size of nook in skin) and the cover wouldn't hold nook as firmly anymore. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for all the feedback,
Marek
The skins I've seen are all so thin that fitting in a cover shouldn't be a problem. I have a Gelaskin on my Kindle, and it fits in the Oberon cover just fine.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-21-2010 at 08:20 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #55
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I have a cover from M-Edge and I had planned to get one of those silicone frames from B&N. That was until I read the reviews on the B&N website. It seems like most of the people who purchased them complained about the fact that they attract pet hair, dust, etc. Really if you have a cover and keep your Nook in it you probably do not need the silicone frame anyway. See the reviews on this link.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Sili...?cds2Pid=30254

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #56
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I have a cover from M-Edge and I had planned to get one of those silicone frames from B&N. That was until I read the reviews on the B&N website. It seems like most of the people who purchased them complained about the fact that they attract pet hair, dust, etc. Really if you have a cover and keep your Nook in it you probably do not need the silicone frame anyway. See the reviews on this link.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Sili...?cds2Pid=30254

~eddie
I got to say: I was reading couple of reviews for the screen protectors on bn and after reading a review like this one: "You would have to go to NASA or somewhere else to find a clean room, to install this item without picking up microscopic dust particles, which causes air bubles all over the the lcd display." link (others are similar), it made me think that either accessories sold by b&n are not entirely thought through, or bn's review crowd is kind of special

I still intend to by the screen protector, I can't imagine using nook for a longer period without it.

As far as the silicone cover, the ones on ebay are not transparent (I would prefer transparent and that marine one on bn would fit well with roof of heaven oberon cover) and they are 1/2 the bn price, so I'm not sure if the bn reviews apply to them as well....
Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #57
spec
Zealot

if anyone thinks they've seen the scene on oberon's "roof of heavens" before and don't remember where:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flammarion_woodcut
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #58
beartard
Minister of Linux

Quote:
I got to say: I was reading couple of reviews for the screen protectors on bn and after reading a review like this one: "You would have to go to NASA or somewhere else to find a clean room, to install this item without picking up microscopic dust particles, which causes air bubles all over the the lcd display."
Maybe I treat my eReader really gently, but I haven't had any screen protector film on my readers in three years and haven't felt the need for one. Every reader's main screen is recessed slightly. Even a direct drop, flat on the floor, wouldn't scratch it. Get a good cover and forget about the film.

I think everyone's in smartphone-mode with protectors. If you have a piano-black surface that's prone to fingerprints, smudges, and scratches, then that might be an ok investment. An eReader screen, with a slightly matte finish anyway, plus the slight recess...I really can't justify the uglification factor that the extra layer of film would provide.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor33 View Post
This site has nice inexpensive cases for your B&N Nook if your looking for a deal.

http://www.oriongadgets.com/accessor...ook-cases.html
Those are silicon covers that do not protect the screen at all. Stay away. get a proper cover that closes to protect the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #60
lionel47
Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
Maybe I treat my eReader really gently, but I haven't had any screen protector film on my readers in three years and haven't felt the need for one. Every reader's main screen is recessed slightly. Even a direct drop, flat on the floor, wouldn't scratch it. Get a good cover and forget about the film.

I think everyone's in smartphone-mode with protectors. If you have a piano-black surface that's prone to fingerprints, smudges, and scratches, then that might be an ok investment. An eReader screen, with a slightly matte finish anyway, plus the slight recess...I really can't justify the uglification factor that the extra layer of film would provide.
Hear, hear...

Tags
bag, case, cover, nook