Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
jcornel7
jcornel7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Word 2007 Docs to LRF? or Sony Readable

I have a TON of technical docs that I would like to take on the plane with me instead of printing off.

Can someone tell me how to get my Word 2007 docs into a reader friendly format? I know about RTF and I save it as an RTF, however it still wont open on the Reader and when you do open it, it says invalid....

Thanks!
jcornel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's probably a sign that your dox are going to be too complicated to be much use on the Reader.

Basically, the Reader is excellent at straight text, and handles typical images fairly well, but more complicated stuff, not so much.

There is some primer information on formatting methods here, but I'd also suggest you have a look at Calibre and BookDesigner, they're your best bets for shifting the files into LRF. If that format won't work for you, then you're probably out of luck. Those links will take you to overviews and some particularly relevant links, but you can search the forum as well, if they don't cover what you need.

And of course folks are usually pretty ready to help for specific questions.

Another solution is to print your Word dox into a PDF file that's formatted for the Reader's display, you can find details on doing that here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Sony's eBook Library program is supposed to be able to convert DOC files directly by using a copy of Word to aid in the conversion. You may need to save your file in an older DOC format for this to work. This can be accomplished in the SaveAs file command.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD works fine with Word 2007 RTF - that's what I use myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
jcornel7
jcornel7 began at the beginning.

OK So I installed Calibre and as much as I double click it, it won't launch.

As for BookDesigner - Looks Sweet! However it wont open my rtf files from Word 2007 or even the doc or docx files?

Am I doing something wrong (and no running Windows Vista doesnt count as something wrong)

jcornel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornel7 View Post
OK So I installed Calibre and as much as I double click it, it won't launch.

As for BookDesigner - Looks Sweet! However it wont open my rtf files from Word 2007 or even the doc or docx files?

Am I doing something wrong (and no running Windows Vista doesnt count as something wrong)

Delete the library1.db file and try again.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There is obviously an error in you RTF conversion.

Save yourself the headache of RTF/Doc files. I would convert the documents to HTML then use Calibe to convert it to LRF.

If you rune HTML2LRF from the command line you can convert them in a batch. And the images are preserved.

If you want to use the Calibe GUI you will have to create a zip file for each Word doc (ONLY if they have images)

If you don't want to do that then use the SONY CONNECT software to move the DOC to your reader.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Good suggestion, or if you want to use BookDesigner, open the file in Word, select everything (ctrl+a), copy it all (ctrl+c) and then paste it into the BD window (ctrl+v)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you installed BD correctly? You need to first install BD4 using its installation program, and then upzip the BD5 update on top of that, overwriting the BD4 files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
If the documents are really that complicated, then consider making pdf documents out of them.

Just open document in OpenOffice.org (version 3.0 Beta DOES open Word 2007 documents) and then export them as pdf files. Or just install one of the multitude of free pdf creators alongside the Word and "print out" the documents into pdf. Just remember to set the size of the page to 90x120mm, so the text is not too small for the Reader.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you installed BD correctly? You need to first install BD4 using its installation program, and then upzip the BD5 update on top of that, overwriting the BD4 files.
There are also a few more steps when using Vista. See the Wiki...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I have recently got Book Creator (By =X= i believe) working for WOrd 2007 and converting it directly to LRF Files. It supports TOC's as well (For Chapters anyways)
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
book designer removes all images in doc file. how can I bypass this problem?
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #14
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

LRFtools will convert Word 2007 (.docx) files to ePub.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote