Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
While I have your attention, how much processing power do I need to add MR's logo to one corner (as a transparent overlay)?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
While I have your attention, how much processing power do I need to add MR's logo to one corner (as a transparent overlay)?
Well, you really need as much processing power and ram as you can afford with any video. What are the specs of the machine you'll be using? What video editing package are you going to use? What format are you outputting and at what resolution? How fast are the hard-drives you'll be running this on?

Or you could use this (I can't vouch for it) http://www.geovid.com/VidLogo/

Some helpful sites though: http://videohelp.com

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/index.php

http://doom9.net

EDIT: here's a video showing you how to add a transparent logo in Sony Vegas

THIS IS PROBABLY THE EASIEST, LOWEST IMPACT, WAY TO ADD THE LOGO (virtualdub is a great video processing application and completely free)

http://www.tutorialsroom.com/tutorials/av/add_logo.html

Last edited by Moejoe; 11-21-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried to shoot my first videos today. Turns out it needs a 1m distance between camera and subject. Whoops.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

This is slightly off topic, but given the distance requirement, I'm probably going to need a tripod. If anyone sees a good deal online, please post it here. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
I tried to shoot my first videos today. Turns out it needs a 1m distance between camera and subject. Whoops.
Have you tried the macro setting?

Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Have you tried the macro setting?
Yes. It didn't help at a distance of 1ft, but it did improve the video quality at 1m.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Yes. It didn't help at a distance of 1ft, but it did improve the video quality at 1m.
Okay. I went and read the manual. The macro setting is good for 6" distance. It's good out to about 9". Between that and 1m the image is fuzzy.

The problem with the macro setting is that I can't use it if I want to show an ebook reader. Only about 4" of the device will be on screen at once. This is rather disappointing because I've use my digital cameras at that distance and taken good pictures and videos.

If I use this camera for hands on videos, I'm going to have to abandon any hope of seeing the text on the screen. (Or I'll need to get a better camera.)
Old 11-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
There are many mentions of add-on lenses for the Zi8 on the web.

Below is a sample video description of a wide-angle macro lens. The prices seem reasonable but you won't know if they'll fit your needs until you can try them out.

http://www.vimeo.com/7671168
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
There are many mentions of add-on lenses for the Zi8 on the web.

Below is a sample video description of a wide-angle macro lens. The prices seem reasonable but you won't know if they'll fit your needs until you can try them out.

http://www.vimeo.com/7671168
Thanks. I bought a wide angle lens.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

If anyone is thinking about getting a video camera, Amazon has the Flip Ultra Camcorder for $90. The resolution is only 640x480, though.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

update

I ended up not using the Zi8 at CES, and I decided to sell it. I'm offering a pretty good price over here.

Based on my experiences at CES, I've decided to get a better digital camera. The consumer models I have are slow. I want to be able to take quite a few shots without having to pause.

So, I'm looking for a good basic professional or a high end consumer digital camera. Can anyone recommend a good one?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #27
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Nate, If you want speed, You're probably going to have to either go for a SLR or a similar speced Semi Pro Compact.

I'm more of fan of Nikon's Lower end DSLR's then Canon's though I've used both and have been happy with results from both. I just like the feel of the Nikon's and the control layout a little better. I've been using a Nikon D70s for the last 4 years and have been very happy with the photos. I've put a few hundred thousand photos through it, without any issues. The newer Cameras from Both Nikon (D90) and Canon (EOS Rebel XS / 1000D) also shoot video, to cover that possibility.

If you don't want to go for the Bulk of a full size SLR, I'll suggest Checking out the Newer Micro Four Thirds Cameras from Panasonic, etc. You get most of the advantages of a Full SLR in much smaller package.

If your really Want to go for a All in One, I've had good experiences with Canon's G Series, namely the G9 and the Current G11 looks to be very similar. While the results are below a SLR, they are miles ahead of most Point and Shoots. You can also get the same sensor and lens in a smaller package with the S90, though you lose a lot of the manual control interfaces. The Video Capability while not HD is usable. Nikon (P90) and Panasonic (LX3) Also Have similar Cameras, But I've personally not used them.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Nate, If you want speed, You're probably going to have to either go for a SLR or a similar speced Semi Pro Compact.
Thanks. I've been looking at Canon, Nikon, etc on Amazon. Yikes. I can pay for a trip to NY for what one of these cameras cost.

After looking at the prices, I noticed that while you can get a decent consumer camera for less than $100, you can't get a semi-pro one for less than $400. Why is that?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Another model I like the looks of:

Sanyo VPC-CG10 (5 hours record time, 720p, 10MP still camera, SD/SDHC card slot) $169 USD http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-CG10...8309132&sr=1-1

I can envision that particular model not going over very well at political rallies.

Seriously!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #30
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Thanks. I've been looking at Canon, Nikon, etc on Amazon. Yikes. I can pay for a trip to NY for what one of these cameras cost.

After looking at the prices, I noticed that while you can get a decent consumer camera for less than $100, you can't get a semi-pro one for less than $400. Why is that?
With an SLR, the Higher Price is due to a few things you get which you can't with a Compact Consumer Camera.

* Better Sensor - The Sensor in the SRL is usially of a much Higher quality and is bigger to boot. This means that Megapixel for Megapixel you can get harper, better more detailed results. The Larger Sensor also allows you to take better photos in Low light, i.e. the Photos tend to be less grainey as you can shoote at lower ISO speed to get better pictures overall.

* Durable - The Body of most SLR's tend to be much more Durable (the More expensive even more so) and Have more manual controls to allow you to make more granular changes when taking the photo as opposed to depending on the cameras programing for everything. I've had my SLR for over 5 Years, and have dropped it numerous times, on Stone, Brick, etc and have shot a few hundred thousand photos with it, without having to get it repaired or serviced. I've not been extraordinary carefully with it and have used it in pretty rough condition at times but its held up. None of my Point and shoots have lasted anywhere as long.

* Lenses - The biggest advantage is the ability to switch Lenses, allowing you to get and use higher quality lenses as and when you want. Also, Most lenses for SLR's even the basic Kit lenses you get with the lower end models, are miles ahead of the quality of most Consumer Level cameras. Also, If you don't want to invest in Expensive lenses, you can just choose to borrow or rent a better lens / special purpose lens for an event and the return it. On a point and shoot, if you want better glass, you need to spend the money upfront.

* More control - An SLR usually gives you much more control over the over all picture, allowing you to manually adjust nearly everything from the Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO, Focusing, etc allowing you to take shots which are next to impossible with a consumer cam. An SLR really shines in more difficult shooting conditions like Low light, High speed sports, etc.

SLR's will also allow you to shoot RAW which is the saw image the sensor saw, and not the final processed image you get with a JPEG. as such You can do a lot of Fine tuning in Post to get better details, or to save your self when you screw up (Learned from painful experience). WHile a few higher end compact allow you to shoot RAW, its still mainly a feature you get in SLR's

* Modularity - SLR's are pretty modular, allowing you to add extras depending on your needs. As mentioned you can swap lenses, but you can also add more powerful flashes, eyepieces, Battery grips for More Power, Wireless transmitters, computer controls, etc. While Not everyone will need all of these, everybody who wants or gets one has one or two they really need.

When I got My SLR, I'd always used Compacts and mainly got the SLR as I needed it for a Job where I needed the Low light performance and the Speed. Later on after using it for a while I begin the appreciate the Quality, the Durability and the Ability to swap lenses as needed. While I currently only own two lenses, between those two I cover 95% or my requirement and for the other 5% I can usually Beg, Borrow or steal a lens or another camera.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote