Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: The Bindle: no batteries, hand-cranked pages, mobile, underlineable
"Nooking" has now become a verb for reading on a Nook

The other day, the dditors at urbandictionary.com reviewed and accepted this new definition of the verb NOOKING:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nooking

nooking

To read a book on a sleek, light e-reader device called a Nook and marketed by Barnes & Noble.

"Sorry, I can't talk to you now honey, I'm nooking the new Dan Brown book on my Nook and I just can't put it down!"

Since "kindling" is already a verb used by many Kindle owners, it only makes sense that "nooking" catch on, too. Are you kindling now or nooking?

BTW, the Urban Dictionary also accepted "kindling" as a verb there. Go look.
danbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I just hope they don't start referring to the content of the Nook as "nookie" :-)
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
I just hope they don't start referring to the content of the Nook as "nookie" :-)
You spoke too soon! From your mouth to God's ear! It's already happening, all over the bloggysphere. Just say Nook E-Reader out loud. Once.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: The act of using "kindling" or "nooking" to refer to reading on an electronic device should not be attempted by anyone who is not a professional douchebag.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
danbloom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: The act of using "kindling" or "nooking" to refer to reading on an electronic device should not be attempted by anyone who is not a professional douchebag.
LOL, but careful, ZJ: many very nice people who own these devices are using these words on their personal blogs. Do some googling and you will see. They do not mean any offense or harm, but some Kindles users LOVE their Kindles so much that they have started using the word as a verb. I told this last month to the man in SF who created the word KINDLE for AMAZON, Mr Michael Cronan, and he told me in an email that when he coined the word KINDLE for the reading device, he and his wife acutally HOPED the word would be turned into a verb, and their very first press release a year ago or so, used the word as a verb, too, before anyone else did. He told me he is pleased to see "kindling" used a verb for reading on a Kindle. The man himself!
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Yeah! I do the same thing with my Sony Reader! People ask what I am doing, I tell them I am "reading" such and such book. They must think I am a really "with-it" cyber guy with my own cool language developed just for the Sony Reader!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
danbloom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Yeah! I do the same thing with my Sony Reader! People ask what I am doing, I tell them I am "reading" such and such book. They must think I am a really "with-it" cyber guy with my own cool language developed just for the Sony Reader!
I didn't get it at first, but wow, great comment.... RFLOL! That's one for the books!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbloom View Post
I didn't get it at first, but wow, great comment.... RFLOL! That's one for the books!
Don't you mean "one for the nooks"?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
Oh! Damn! *I* was going to say that!

Well then, to paraphrase the bird on "George of the Jungle", "Nookie, nookie!"

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:20 AM   #10
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
I told this last month to the man in SF who created the word KINDLE for AMAZON, Mr Michael Cronan, and he told me in an email that when he coined the word KINDLE for the reading device, he and his wife acutally HOPED the word would be turned into a verb, and their very first press release a year ago or so, used the word as a verb, too, before anyone else did. He told me he is pleased to see "kindling" used a verb for reading on a Kindle. The man himself!
I hope Amazon is likewise happy. I get intensely irritated when companies with large market shares get upset over their trademarks getting verbified. HELLO?? Make fewer sales, people won't do it then...

"You can verbify anything if you just word it"
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:38 AM   #11
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
The other day, the dditors at urbandictionary.com reviewed and accepted [...] the Urban Dictionary also accepted "kindling"
UD will accept anything, you make it sound like there is an extensive vetting process.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #12
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Oh, I nearly missed it!
I was too busy sonypeearesfiveohfiveing and irexiliadveetwoing a couple of novelettes....

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #13
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
LOL, but careful, ZJ: many very nice people who own these devices are using these words on their personal blogs. Do some googling and you will see. They do not mean any offense or harm, but some Kindles users LOVE their Kindles so much that they have started using the word as a verb. I told this last month to the man in SF who created the word KINDLE for AMAZON, Mr Michael Cronan, and he told me in an email that when he coined the word KINDLE for the reading device, he and his wife acutally HOPED the word would be turned into a verb, and their very first press release a year ago or so, used the word as a verb, too, before anyone else did. He told me he is pleased to see "kindling" used a verb for reading on a Kindle. The man himself!
I realize that fandom or unawareness or lack of actually thinking about it might lead normally rational people to do silly things. But let's just think about how annoying it would be if every guy who drove a Porsché insisted on telling everyone he was Porsching around town and would be the designated-porscher for the night out that night...

It's still reading, whether it's a kindle, nook, paperback, newspaper, tattoo-on-fat-guy, or underwater-breathing-manual-super-glued-to-bottom-of-swimming-pool.

I don't feel too worried about offending people who are doing silly things. A little cynical dry humor never hurt anyone (except maybe the humorist who got beaten up for it...)
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Urban dictionary has editors? I never would've guessed after seeing some of the ridiculous garbage that gets listed there.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm curious how the activity of "reading on a Nook" can have an "accepted" term, when the machine has not actually been released yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fake controversy, silly