Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
sandrajonas
sandrajonas began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Sigil Trouble w TOC & Upgrading

Hi,

I've been using 7.1 without any problems. Then yesterday, parts of the toc.ncx file on the ebook I'm creating disappeared. I manually inserted the missing parts but they wouldn't save.

Thinking that there was a bug in the software, I attempted to upload 7.3, but I received this error message:

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteFile file failed; code 5
Access is denied.
The file: icudt51.dll

When I attempt to uninstall 7.1 using the uninstall option, some files aren't uninstalled. When I try to manually uninstall them, I get a similar error message as the one above: need administrator's permission to delete files.

Help!

Thanks!
SJ
sandrajonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What OS?
Have you rebooted?
do you have Administrator privileged?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I suspect he/she has another program open, like calibre, which might use the same files.

Try the uninstall from a fresh boot, without opening any other programs.

Last edited by mrmikel; 10-22-2013 at 06:54 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
sandrajonas

Thanks and sorry for the delayed response.

I'm using Windows 7. I had no other programs open and rebooted a couple of times, but the problem persisted.

So I tried installing the 7.3 version to a different folder and that worked, but the toc issue remained. And I still have parts of the older version on my computer.

I finally isolated the toc problem to an ampersand in a chapter title. Whenever I typed the ampersand, the toc in display panel would freeze. I couldn't add or delete anything at that point.

So I used "and" instead, replaced the entire toc.ncx file, and all was well.

Do you have any suggestions for removing the old Sigil version? I'm working on my own PC. Is there a setting for the administrator that I'm missing?

Thanks so much!
Sandra
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrajonas View Post
Thanks and sorry for the delayed response.

I'm using Windows 7. I had no other programs open and rebooted a couple of times, but the problem persisted.

So I tried installing the 7.3 version to a different folder and that worked, but the toc issue remained. And I still have parts of the older version on my computer.

I finally isolated the toc problem to an ampersand in a chapter title. Whenever I typed the ampersand, the toc in display panel would freeze. I couldn't add or delete anything at that point.

So I used "and" instead, replaced the entire toc.ncx file, and all was well.

Do you have any suggestions for removing the old Sigil version? I'm working on my own PC. Is there a setting for the administrator that I'm missing?

Thanks so much!
Sandra
did you just type it or use the entity &amp ; (or &#38 ;) <no space to semicolon >
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
sandrajonas

For some reason, I didn't think I could use entities there--I had no need to use them in the past. I just inserted "&amp;" and it worked perfectly. Thanks!!

I still have the uninstall issue (some of the 7.1 files are still on my computer), but 7.3 is working just fine right now.

Sandra
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrajonas View Post
For some reason, I didn't think I could use entities there--I had no need to use them in the past. I just inserted "&amp;" and it worked perfectly. Thanks!!

I still have the uninstall issue (some of the 7.1 files are still on my computer), but 7.3 is working just fine right now.

Sandra
Most program uninstalls leave stuff behind: Usually it isjust in the configuration settings folder (Calibre and Sigil).

In a few cases, some glitch blocks file removal.
With the program uninstalled (using the official tools) that ran to completion. You can pretty much be safe removing the program folder after a reboot without needing a lot of registry cleanup (very much needed if you delete an INSTALLED program).

Tags
7.1, 7.3, sigil, toc, uninstall