Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Adobe Digital Editions and Kobo question

I've been using ADE to sideload books from a number of places ever since Calibre knackered my Kobo Touch once.

Question is: I've just got a new computer, and I want to set up something to sideload books onto the KT. Can I just download ADE or Calibre and not bother moving over the whole library of ebooks right now?

Not sure what the best option is that won't knacker my ereader a second time.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
I've been using ADE to sideload books from a number of places ever since Calibre knackered my Kobo Touch once.

Question is: I've just got a new computer, and I want to set up something to sideload books onto the KT. Can I just download ADE or Calibre and not bother moving over the whole library of ebooks right now?

Not sure what the best option is that won't knacker my ereader a second time.
I use both ADE and Calibre. ADE is strictly used for DRMed library books. When I got my new laptop, I added the books on my Glo to the new Calibre library on the laptop instead of copying the Calibre library to the new laptop. However, I haven't had Calibre cause a crash with the ereader since my Kobo WiFi and that was when I deleted and recreated ~900 books on the SD card.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have plugged my Kobo into a computer with Calibre running or started Calibre after the reader is plugged into computer. Checked connect on Kobo screen. Calibre will show books on device (e-reader) and Storage Card A. Select books I want transfered to e-reader by shift left clicking on Calibre list of books on Device or on Storage Card A. I then right click on selected books, causing Calibre pop up menu to show, "Add books to library" that I select. I have transfered from 1 to 2000 books at once this way without problems. Better to transfer fewer books at a time to reader making it easier to find books causing problems on reader.

I also have archived file of all books as down loaded from Internet before transfered into Calibre file system.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
yes, I know Calibre's a possibility. I've had bad luck with it corrupting the database of my Touch, and it's really frustrating to lose all my bookmarks, annotations, books on my ereader, etc. I wish it interfaced better with Kobos, but like they say, once burned, twice shy. I don't need to spend another weekend restoring my ereader from a Calibre mishap. I use Calibre for converting and other stuff, but not for transfer to my ereader.

The question was specifically about how to do the switch using Adobe, since that's what I've been using, and I just got a new computer.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Correct; just redownload ADE and make sure you reauthorize the computer with the same Adobe ID. SHould be no need to reauthorize the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i only use ADE - i have calibre but only to rip the drm from my free and bought kindle books and have had no real problems
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote