Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I had to add an entry to allow SSH (over wifi specifically). Seems like that should be the default? I added the following to fw-base.txt:

-A wlan-in -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
there are multiple ways to enable / disable ssh - -

add that rule insert and delete into the corresponding method you use to enable / disable ssh.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #92
Ethereal
Ethereal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
After I have the filter set up to my liking, is there any downside to issuing something like

Quote:
iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables
In order to avoid automatically enabling the firewall upon reboot? I was able to add my SSH rules easily because the extension is nicely modularized, but I would really like to firewall it on boot because by my family members are not going to turn on airplane mode if they happen to reboot, nor do I want them to be messing with the KUAL extensions anyway.
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #93
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
After I have the filter set up to my liking, is there any downside to issuing something like

In order to avoid automatically enabling the firewall upon reboot? I was able to add my SSH rules easily because the extension is nicely modularized, but I would really like to firewall it on boot because by my family members are not going to turn on airplane mode if they happen to reboot, nor do I want them to be messing with the KUAL extensions anyway.
We like to avoid modifying files in the Amazon image, but other than the chance that this change will cause problems installing a future update, I don't know of any problems.

Keep a copy of the current (Amazon) saved iptables file, just in case you have to revert to them in the future.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #94
Cykotitan
Enthusiast
Cykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 WiFi
Just saw this when executing showlog -f, is there any reason for concern? The packets are exiting via wlan-out

-- Before activating firewall:
Code:
   140517:012540 phd[2981]: I udp_tph:listening:host = 23.23.189.4:
   140517:012540 phd[2981]: I udp_tph:goto:srv=23.23.189.27, port=33434:GOTO server
-- After activating:
Code:
   140517:013011 phd[2981]: E udp_tph:sendto_error:to = 23.23.189.27:33434, ret = -1 (of 149), errno = Operation not permitted (1):
   140517:013011 phd[2981]: I udp_tph:restart_udp_tph_rcvr:ret = 6:
   140517:013013 phd[2981]: I udp_tph:listening:host = 23.23.189.4:
   140517:013013 phd[2981]: E udp_tph:sendto_error:to = 23.23.189.4:33434, ret = -1 (of 136), errno = Operation not permitted (1):
   140517:013013 phd[2981]: I udp_tph:restart_udp_tph_rcvr:ret = 6:
   140517:013015 phd[2981]: I udp_tph:listening:host = 23.23.189.4:
   140517:013015 phd[2981]: E udp_tph:sendto_error:to = 23.23.189.4:33434, ret = -1 (of 136), errno = Operation not permitted (1):
   140517:013015 phd[2981]: I udp_tph:restart_udp_tph_rcvr:ret = 6:
Last 3 messages repeat every 2 seconds until firewall is enabled again or airplane mode activated.

Here are the fw stats:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# iptables -L wlan-out -nv | head -n5
Chain wlan-out (1 references)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
    0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            23.0.0.0/12
  154 25269 DROP       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            23.20.0.0/14
    0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            50.16.0.0/14

Last edited by Cykotitan; 05-16-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Cykotitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #95
knc1
Going Viral

Just shows that it is working as intended.

I.E: the packet "drop" target is the cause of the "operation not permitted" message.
Which is correct, the purpose is to not permit the Kindle to call home in that address range.

- - - -

Note: It would be more correct (and/or better) if I had used the "reject" target rather than the "drop" target.

But, the stock Kindle firmware build did not include the "reject" target. Duh...
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 05:01 AM   #96
phoenix512
Enthusiast
phoenix512 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2
I have PW2 5.4.3.2. Does this app work for me? I want to disable updates
Thanks
phoenix512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #97
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix512 View Post
I have PW2 5.4.3.2. Does this app work for me? I want to disable updates
Thanks
This will prevent the downloading of updates, but that is not its purpose.

Use the "Backdoor Lock" to control updates instead of this.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #98
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PW
My PW is associated with an Italian account (mine), should I change anything in the filter list or is the "Big Brother" universal?

Thanks knc1
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #99
knc1
Going Viral

The list is getting fairly old, there may have been some additions to the Amazon network.

But once established, they are part of their network system (mostly served by their "cloud" service - an international abstraction).
I do not expect that there are any "country local" addresses.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #100
Lenorav
Enthusiast
Lenorav began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
When reading an e-book the BBB filter blocks the translation feature and wikipedia, there's no way to enable these functions while BBB activated?
Lenorav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #101
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenorav View Post
When reading an e-book the BBB filter blocks the translation feature and wikipedia, there's no way to enable these functions while BBB activated?
Those features must be provided by Amazon (perhaps by Amazon proxy'ing them).

The filter rules that are installed by default allow the user two choices:
* Call home
* Don't call home

- - - -

Note:
If you have BBB installed to block over the air updates -
rather than preventing communications with the Amazon network, then;

There is a better solution to that control problem - the "Backdoor Lock"
Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #102
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235859

Unlocks custom ACX widgets. Also provides one for Google Translate.

ACXs enable options in the popup dialogs. I am sure someone could write a widget to lookup wikipedia without using Amazon servers.The translation replacement should already do so.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 AM   #103
Lenorav
Enthusiast
Lenorav began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235859

Unlocks custom ACX widgets. Also provides one for Google Translate.

ACXs enable options in the popup dialogs. I am sure someone could write a widget to lookup wikipedia without using Amazon servers.The translation replacement should already do so.
I install the google translator, thanks eschwartz .

About wikipedia.acx, do you think about making acx with automatic search feature like amazon? Will be a good feature.

And eschwartz, can see this topic? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...79#post2910979 is about duokan and fonts.
Lenorav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #104
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenorav View Post

- - - -

And eschwartz, can see this topic? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...79#post2910979 is about duokan and fonts.
We have readers with adjustable margins and margin adjustment packages for the Kindle.
Also, font packages.

Install those, which we support, rather than install Doukan.

PS: Eschwartz already replied to the post you linked to above.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #105
pgfiore
Enthusiast
pgfiore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm facing an issue with BBB as it seems working, but I get no reports at all.
pw1 with 5.3.4 and jailbreak 1.14
kual 2.5 and BBB 1.0.0 and datetime 1.0.1 (and others btw)

I feel the BBB firewall is active because my pw1 doesn't start downloading ebooks from Amazon (I know I have a queue there, which's waiting for wifi!).
WiFi is working of course. datetime reports correctly.

Every option of the BBB menu dosn't report anything and quickly jump home (for about a second commands appear in the left bottom corner e.g. "bin/load-bbb.sh").
In the documents folder the BBB-LastAction.txt exists, but it is outdated.
Thank for any help
p.s. not sure, but the "generate packet report" button seems greyed out

Last edited by pgfiore; 03-05-2015 at 10:22 AM.
pgfiore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firewall, kual extension