Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #241
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
No one was debating that. What holymadness was suggesting was that global market share is only a portion of a company's measure of success.
And chose to emphasize this point with a graph of market share for just one category of devices for only a smaller market?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #242
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
And chose to emphasize this point with a graph of market share for just one category of devices for only a smaller market?
What I saw in the charts was that though Apple (one company) had less market share overall (US numbers), it had vastly more profits than most of its competitors combined. The worldwide numbers just make worse.
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #243
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Seaking, I don't think your timing is correct. IMO, they are not at apogee. Just last week I decided I wanted my first true tablet (not counting E-ink e-readers and various laptops). I'm a technical type, active over at Ars Technica, and I know all about Amazon's latest Fires and Google's Nexus 10.

I still chose the latest iPad. It isn't strictly about the hardware specification, not to me and not to the general public. Too many people don't get this. They say the Nexus has better hardware so the Apple must come in second. Wrong!

The ecosystem is what sells and what sold me. The number of tablet-optimized apps for iOS far exceeds Android apps. My head exploded reviewing the near-endless case variations for iPads (or any other accessory you care to choose). iTunes sells 99% of the media I care about. iCloud works well enough for my automated cloud needs (though I'm also a happy user of Skydrive and Sugarsync). iOS remains the most responsive to the user, despite Android getting a lot closer with 4.1. Google Now may be slightly more accurate than Siri but Siri is hooked into the device better (setting reminders for example).

Oh, and if the latest iPad's hardware is slacking, it isn't slacking by enough to matter. Battery life is insanely good (roughly 13 hours use on each of the first two charges, BT off but lots of Netflix over wifi) and overall display quality (color, resolution, viewing angle, brightness) is top shelf.

Have you taken a close look at the newest "retina" MacBook Pro? Too expensive for me but a totally awesome laptop. Sony's Vaio line competes but, guess what, at the same price or higher (and with more mixed reliability reports).

So, in sum, I'm arguing that Apple is not just about to topple. I don't doubt they will but not so soon as you think.
You are almost convincing. Well at least you make a good argument for yourself.

I will only speak to the "newest "retina" MacBook Pro" you mentioned.
I just read an article today and almost put it on mobileread but wasn't sure where to post it.
It said that the new Pro was the most locked down version Apple has ever had. Components are either solder in or glue in and removing for an upgrade or repair was unwise.
I think the article was on cnet, or zdnet or liliputin but haven't time to check.

Anyway, my point is that Apple is reverting to the old Apple under Jobs the First.

I sent the article to a son who does upgrade his Mac Pros memory at least. Buys on Amazon and then upgrades the memory. I will look at my mail later.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #244
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Maybe they'll draw from neither.
They are growing the market by focusing primarily on people who aren't attracted by either.
Neither tablets nor smartphones are mature enough markets that gains for one platform *must* be somebody else's loss.
There's still plenty of bystanders out there.
In fact, smartphones still only make up 39% of all mobile phone sales worldwide:
http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=2237315

And tablets are an even less mature market.

There's room for everybody to grow without cannibalizing somebody else.
Some people will switch. The only question is whose numbers are greater.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #245
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Penforhire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You are almost convincing. Well at least you make a good argument for yourself.

I will only speak to the "newest "retina" MacBook Pro" you mentioned.
I just read an article today and almost put it on mobileread but wasn't sure where to post it.
It said that the new Pro was the most locked down version Apple has ever had. Components are either solder in or glue in and removing for an upgrade or repair was unwise.
I think the article was on cnet, or zdnet or liliputin but haven't time to check.

Anyway, my point is that Apple is reverting to the old Apple under Jobs the First.

I sent the article to a son who does upgrade his Mac Pros memory at least. Buys on Amazon and then upgrades the memory. I will look at my mail later.
==
"Want to upgrade that 'Retina' MacBook Pro? Tough luck"

"Summary: iFixit have given the new MacBook Pro a reparability score of 1 out of ten, calling it "virtually non-upgradeable".
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes

By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes for Hardware 2.0 | June 13, 2012 -- 07:57 GMT (00:57 PDT)"

"Did you rush out and order a brand new 'Retina' display MacBook Pro immediately following their unveiling at the WWDC 2012? If you did then you'd better have loaded your purchase up with all the RAM and storage you'll need, because you're not going to be able to add any more once you get it.

The folks at iFixit have managed to get their hands on a new 'retina' display MacBook Pro and took it apart to see what makes it tick. What they found doesn't bode well for anyone planning to attempt a repair or upgrade on their new MacBook Pro. "

more--

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/w...ugh-luck/20774
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #246
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Penforhire

[i]"Want to upgrade that 'Retina' MacBook Pro? Tough luck"

"Summary: iFixit have given the new MacBook Pro a reparability score of 1 out of ten, calling it "virtually non-upgradeable".
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes
Soldered RAM? Ouch.
Some of those design features remind me of the old single-board home computers of the 80's (Atari, Commodore 64, etc).
Hackers eventually figured out how to upgrade those (stacking chips and soldering jumper wires) but I doubt those kinds of tricks will work with current tech.

That said, TVs, receivers, and DVRs aren't upgradeable and that doesn't hurt sales. What might hurt is repairability.

I just hope this doesn't spillover to the wintel side...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #247
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Note sure if this is linkbait or true, but FWIW: Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #248
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Upgradeability is, again, not something the general public cares about. It seems you are down-playing how the rMBP functions out of the box. I have one significant design complaint, they did not use a 'dedicated' graphics card and that is a sin for a "pro" laptop. Means we won't be using them for our mobile 3D CAD workstations (probably have to keep using HP EliteBooks).

Apple offers battery replacement service for all their non-user-replaceable batteries. Most reports claim this is a relatively painless process, aside from the time without your device, waiting for the service. More intrepid techies, armed with spudgers, do replace their own.

I have not had a need, in general, to upgrade laptops. Do you? If so, why? After about three years I find it is more effective to replace a laptop, restoring the factory image on the old one and selling it on Craigslist if it still functions. If you travel enough with typical business use, laptops do not last forever. Screens/mobo's/hinges crack, solder joints fracture, keyboards get messed up, trackpads wear grooves, etcetera.

I do get that if your priorities are different then Apple products can have a lower value to you. But then you'd have a biased view of Apple's financial future because your use case is different than most. The general public is who makes or breaks big-volume electronics, not the extreme cases than most techies represent.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #249
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What might hurt is repairability.
I think repairability is also hurt by eReader reviewers routinely ignoring it -- despite there being big repairability differences between devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Note sure if this is linkbait or true, but FWIW: Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs.
Sounds right. I had read before that something was happening that would reduce the number of companies making motherboards.

Hopefully the report that socketed CPU's return with Skylake (2015) is also true. As for the report that after Skylake, we got back to unrepairable motherboards forever, I think that's really looking too far into the future.

A lot of people, including me, like desktops better than laptops. It's easy to keep a spare keyboard in the house. No fear of dropping it. Slightly bigger monitor. I don't like a non-replaceable CPU, but desktops with soldered-in CPU chips are easy to imagine, and will still be more repairable than laptops, tablets, or even my Kindle Keyboard.

I can also imagine Intel still making socketed processors geared to the hobbyist market. They might not want to completely abandon us to AMD (assuming AMD survives and keeps with sockets).
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #250
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
So much consumption, so little attempts at sustainability. I wonder how much of the world's resources will be left by this time next century?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #251
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
So much consumption, so little attempts at sustainability. I wonder how much of the world's resources will be left by this time next century?
What next century?

Unless the people take control back from the corporations we are doomed.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #252
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Android is not eating Apple's Lunch yet..but they are getting closer to the lunch bucket..
creeping up on Apple for sure.. I have both Apple and Android and Love the both..
Doug
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #253
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Unless the people take control back from the corporations we are doomed.
Depending on who you're talking to, that's communist government-supporter talk.

*sigh*
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #254
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Depending on who you're talking to, that's communist government-supporter talk.

*sigh*
Nah, just anti-corporation, nothing to do with communism, it's just business.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #255
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Personally, I don't want anyone to "win". Competition means choice and I like choice.
All but the most parochial of consumers agree. I've used and appreciate the power all mobile platforms, most midrange platforms, all mainframe platforms. I don't understand these "OSx is better than OSy" arguments.
Closed Thread