Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
'Read To Me' TTS on updated KF or HD version?

Does anyone know if the TTS (read to me) function will be enabled on either the updated Kindle Fire or new Kindle Fire HD? I currently use a K3 keyboard and I do actually use the built-in text to speech function - my understanding is that this function was dropped in the Kindle Fire (at least as far as the kindle reading application is concerned).
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Immersion Reading is on the updated base Fire too.

Quote:
Experience Immersion Reading
With Immersion Reading, Kindle Fire can now synchronize Kindle text with companion Audible audiobooks with real-time highlighting to create a more immersive reading experience, as well as deepen learning and comprehension. Almost 15,000 Kindle books and 15,000 companion Audible audiobooks across a wide array of genres are available.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Immersion Reading is on the updated base Fire too.
That's not the same as TTS.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's not the same as TTS.
Ah, right.

Then no. The Kindle Fire has never had TTS, nor will the new one. The natural TTS voices aren't good enough yet.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
well since it's a software thing - it very well might be enabled since there are other features that will be available in the KFHD and updated KF - I was hoping that maybe someone would know for sure though.
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Apparently the new kindle fire and kindle fire hd's have tts as well as immersion reading (see link). My question is do they support collections, anyone know?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...x1WEM06OFQ59MC
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Apparently the new kindle fire and kindle fire hd's have tts as well as immersion reading (see link). My question is do they support collections, anyone know?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...x1WEM06OFQ59MC
No. It doesn't look like, from the pictures of the Books section anyway. There is a little star at the bottom, so I don't know what that would be...
Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
No. It doesn't look like, from the pictures of the Books section anyway. There is a little star at the bottom, so I don't know what that would be...
The link I attached is by Kevin Kindle Customer Manager in his Q&A.

Quote:
Q: Does the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD support TTS (Text-to-Speech)?
A: The new Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HD 8.9" support TTS in books where this feature is enabled. They also support Audible books for a rich narrated version of the book, and Immersion Reading which is like Text to Speech but with the rich narration of an Audible book.

Last edited by beckywc; 09-08-2012 at 05:19 AM.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Yeah, I was referring to collections. Saw that after I said no to TTS. Good to know, use that all the time on the Keyboard. I use Collections too, so know how you all feel. Organization on the KF is horrible. I have to use favorites for that reason.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yeah, I was referring to collections. Saw that after I said no to TTS. Good to know, use that all the time on the Keyboard. I use Collections too, so know how you all feel. Organization on the KF is horrible. I have to use favorites for that reason.
I wish they would at least add voice search as with Kindle 4 Android (on 4.1). It works really well, saves a lot of typing and is much faster than navigating collections.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Where are the pics of the books section? I've been looking for it and the reader with no luck.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Where are the pics of the books section? I've been looking for it and the reader with no luck.
Here you go: http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/06/amazon-new-kindles/

I had to look around for it too. I wish they'd do hands-on better.

These guys have a better one: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/09/kin...e-hd-hands-on/

No new pictures of the reader yet.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here you go: http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/06/amazon-new-kindles/

I had to look around for it too. I wish they'd do hands-on better.

These guys have a better one: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/09/kin...e-hd-hands-on/

No new pictures of the reader yet.
Nope no collections. I didn't see Documents on the new Fires are they now in Books I wonder?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard

You have to scroll the menu over to the right see it, along with the Offers tab.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Oh good to know it's there. I'm guessing with all the new Kindle Fires the original will not get another update.