Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Sharealike Problem

So I was thinking about placing the Authors Against DRM logo in a future ebook, which will probably be my NaNo project for this coming year. The only trouble is that the logo, which is available here, is CC BY-SA. While the website explaining the license claims that I can use it in commercial products, it says further down that I have to distribute that product under the same license as the original work.

Thus I can use it for commercial work, as long as I don't charge money for it? Wouldn't that make it a non-commercial work?

Anyone got any experience with this?

Edit: I emailed the website that hosted it, so maybe they can also shed some light on the subject.

Last edited by teh603; 08-14-2012 at 09:01 AM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I do not know, but when you find out, please post!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
It's my understanding that you can still charge for the book, but if someone then uploads it for free sharing, you can't complain.

Basically, the share-alike clause "grandfathers" the license so that the next item has the same license. Which would mean that anyone who gets a copy of the work has the right to:

Quote:
You are free:

to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to Remix — to adapt the work
to make commercial use of the work
I think this also means that someone could charge money for your work, since that would count under "commercial use".

I use a CC license on my book, but not this flavor. I don't like what this seems to be saying, personally.

ETA: Mind you, I am not an expert on this. Let us know what you hear back.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Ain't heard jack thus far, and nothing in the spam filter other than the usual.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote