Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Day, Clarence: God and My Father. v1. 05 July 2012

By Clarence Day (1874 - 1935), the author of “Life With Father,” “Life With Mother,” “The Crow’s Nest,” “This Simian World,” etc.

Clarence Day, Jr., writing with affection and gentle humor, gives us a snapshot of an affluent family in New York City in the 1880s. The times were prosperous and the nation strong, in Clarence Day, Sr.’s view largely because he willed it thus. His prayers reflected this; they turned to shouting matches if God failed to act on schedule.
This, the first in the trio of memoirs about the Day family, describes Father Day’s dealings with church-attendance and with religion in general. He is a church-going man, but when his wife discovers he has never been baptized, the battle is joined...

An excerpt:
Quote:
I never saw Father kneel in supplication on such occasions. On the contrary he usually talked with God lying in bed. My room was just above Father’s, and he could easily be heard through the floor. On those rare nights when he failed to sleep well, the sound of damns would float up - at first deep and tragic and low, then more loud and exasperated. Fragments of thoughts and strong feelings came next, or meditations on current bothers. At the peak of these, God would be summoned. I would hear him call “Oh God?” over and over, with a rising inflection, as though he were demanding that God should present himself instantly, and sit in the fat green chair in the corner, and be duly admonished. Then when Father seemed to feel that God was listening, he would begin to expostulate. He would moan in a discouraged but strong voice: “Oh God, it’s too much. Amen . . . I say it’s too damned much . . . No, no, I can’t stand it. Amen.” After a pause, if he didn’t feel better, he would seem to suspect that God might be trying to sneak back to Heaven without doing anything, and I would hear him shout warningly: “Oh God! I won’t stand it! Amen, Oh damnation! A-a-men.” Sometimes he would ferociously bark a few extra Amens, and then, soothed and satisfied, peacefully go back to sleep . . .
------
No illustrations (I believe these may have been illustrated when first published, if anyone knows of a source, please do let me know.) Decorative fonts for chapter-heads, tail decorations, and drop-caps. Large-cap version also available.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Day-GodAndMyFather.epub (133.9 KB, 548 views)
File Type: epub Day-GodAndMyFather-plaincaps.epub (133.8 KB, 431 views)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 04-12-2013 at 04:21 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Have you tried Google Images? I just had a quick scan, and there are some covers there and some scenes from films. Or I've sometimes found images by googling the name of the illustrator.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Thanks for the tip! I never thought of Google Images for illustrations. To be honest, I've never gone there, no internet at home, and workplace policy blocks me. I feel a library trip calling me!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biography, family life, humor, memoir, victorian era