Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
CuriousGuy
CuriousGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Android 2.3.6 Phone
Question Convert book with Series in Title?

I'm new to Calibre. I was wondering if it is possible to convert an ebook (from epub to epub) but change how Calibre does the name? I have a lot of books that are in series. I would like to know if there is a way to change the way the conversion works? I have tried (and remarkably succeeded) in making a metadata plugboard. I got it so that I could "Save to Disk" and the title of the epub was what I wanted.

Author/Title/Series - Series Index - Title

So, one series would be:

Christopher Paolini/Eragon/Inheritance - 01 - Eragon.epub
Christopher Paolini/Eldest/Inheritance - 02 - Eldest.epub
Christopher Paolini/Brisingr/Inheritance - 03 - Brisingr.epub
Christopher Paolini/Inheritance/Inheritance - 04 - Inheritance.epub

It worked properly when Send to Disk and Send to Device. However, when I sent it to my Android phone and imported it into Aldiko, it only showed the regular Title. The same thing happened when I Send to Disk. After I did that I removed the books from my Library and then re-added them. Same thing. I realize that the .opf file shows the original metadata. I'm guessing what I changed didn't change the metadata, only the file name.

So is there a way to change the actual Title following the same pattern as what works with a plugboard? I'm more than willing to convert the books that are parts of series. I'm just hoping there is a way to do so without having to individually edit each book in each series.

I only want this to be for books that are in a series. If it's a regular book then I would want the conversion to work the way it does now. I realize it might be something where I have to enable one type of conversion to do this. King of like applying one plugboard over another.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give. As I said, I've very new to Calibre and the little that I've accomplished has been done over a three day period of a lot of post reading/trial and error. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
CuriousGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
save to disk and send to device change the actual title. Go to preferences->saving to disk and tell calibre to not save the opf file. Then when you re-import, calibre will read the metadata from the epub and you will see the title has changed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
CuriousGuy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
save to disk and send to device change the actual title. Go to preferences->saving to disk and tell calibre to not save the opf file. Then when you re-import, calibre will read the metadata from the epub and you will see the title has changed.
OK. That didn't work. Same thing happened. I have the "normal" books in my Library. I went to Preferences->Saving to Disk and unchecked the opf file option. Then I selected the four books in the series and did "Save to Disk." They output to the folder I selected (a temp folder). There was one folder with the authors name, then four folders for the four books. I removed the four books from the Library. Then I went to "add books" and re-added the four books. But each of those only had the normal title. When I selected them and chose "Send to Device", they showed up with the normal title. When I imported from Aldiko I had the same problem.

I'm running the latest version of both Calibre and Aldiko.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. You explained it very well but apparently what I'm doing is wrong. Any additional help would be most appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then your plugboard isn't correct. Make sure you have any_format as the format and save_to_disk as the device. And for sending to Aldiko make another plugboard with epub as the format and ANDROID as the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
CuriousGuy

I'm doing something wrong. It's still not working. I'll post more information tomorrow (and maybe a screenshot of my plugboards). I would do so tonight but I have to be at work in just over 6 hours. It's been a long day.

Thank you for the instructions. I'll retry them tomorrow (I'm sure I'm missing something). Hopefully tomorrow I'll see what I'm doing wrong and let everyone know. If not I'll post what I can to maybe give some more information.

Have a good night.
Advert

Tags
convert, index, number, series, title