Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
PRS-650 on Mac after Windows

After I bought my T1 a while ago I was able to coax my wife into reading ebooks occasionally on the 650 I had been using for a year or so. I bought her ebooks for her, and transferred them on to the 650 using calibre on my ThinkPad running Windows 7.

She has become interested enough now to want to use the 650 regularly, and do her own downloading and transfers and so on, and we tried to set it up this afternoon; she downloaded and registered ADE, Sony Reader Software, and calibre on to her Apple computer.

But when she connected the 650 to her Apple computer she could only find the calibre manual, not any of the many other ebooks which are on the reader and which I can see when I attach the reader to my computer. And I could not see the manual which she had loaded on to the reader when it was attached to her Apple.

Is there some incompatibility between Apple OS and Windows which prevents her seeing the ebooks I had loaded through Windows? Is there any way she can set up the 650 so it can display the books I have loaded on to it?

Last edited by AlexBell; 01-18-2012 at 02:54 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Strange, was the reader mounted?
Have you tried to check the removeable media "READER" with MacOs Finder?

Sorry no experience with MacOS and calibre. - Maybe Bookworm_Girl will help out.

Still the files shoud be there and visible to the filesystem, but there could be problems with importing the books into her new, probably blank calibre.

The bigger problem I see is, if your wife has setup her own ADE account, she will have to authorize the reader to her account, and that moment will lose the ability to open and read DRMed ebooks authorized to you.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Did she click on the device button at the top of the Calibre window? (in the pic below, it is the button on the right). The button only appears when the device is mounted on the Mac.

To find the books on the Sony itself via the Finder, they are located in

database -> media -> books
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This behavior is most strange. In theory it shouldn't matter that the books were loaded onto the 650 using Windows. I do have a hypothesis. Can you provide a little more info?

First question (which I apologize is very basic but will rule out problems) do you see the various books on the 650. Forget about the computers for a moment. Are all of the books there on the ereader so you know they were actually transferred properly from the computer to the device.

My second question is as Mark asked, do you see the ereader mounted in the Finder window? If so, do you see all of the books in the folders under READER?

My last question is do you see the 650 mounted as a device in the toolbar on calibre? When you do a clean install of calibre I seem to recall that it autoloads a quick-start user manual. That would be the only book in your library. Is it possible that you wife was only looking at books in the Library book list? Can you confirm that she clicked the device icon in the toolbar to look at books on the device? Does she understand that you see the two sets of books separately and not merged together? That may explain why she doesn't see anything but the manual? Also when you are viewing the Device book list make sure that something isn't accidentally typed in the search box. I have done that before and wondered why I couldn't see my books!

Hope that helps! A little more info might be useful to asset further.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I see pidgeon92 had the same thought as me when I was typing my response! Seems like that might be the issue.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert