Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
I Want to hire a Guru....

Yes, I want to hire a Guru for the Nook Color who has rooted their NC and would be willing to show me the advantages resulting from the rooting.

By hire, I'm really talking about beverages and snacks at a local coffee shop or eatery.

I live in Silverdale, WA and I'm willing to travel to the Seattle or Tacoma areas for the meet at a place and time you choose. My reason for this request is that I have no friends who use eReaders, much less have rooted an NC. Add to that, the local B&N sales staff hasn't intimated that there is Life after Rooting Who would expect otherwise?

Anyway, if you are willing to help me, I'm willing to travel.

Thanks in advance. If you want, PM me so all directions etc. is off the main screen.

Ralph
63YO, non-smoker

Last edited by Red Alert; 03-08-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added bolding
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I would suggest you try a different B&N store - many of the employees DO root ... you just might be at a store where those employees don't ...

If I was in WA instead of UT, I'd be happy to show you the ropes. As it is - ask away on this forum .... it isn't hard at all!

(heck, send me a PM and I'll give you phone # to call if you want!)
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
While I love the Tacoma area having been stationed at McChord AFB for 3 years, the travel would be a little far. But if you come to Alabama I'd be glad to share a beverage & NC (rooted) discussion.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree, I wouldn't want to drive to Alabama if the deal was on the other foot. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Red Alert
Zealot

jasoraso, that's a kind offer. However, descriptions via PM or even your generous offer of a phone call would be hard pressed to let me get the "hands on" feel of the rooted NC. I'd like to actually see what some of the apps do for the user vs. what the unrooted NC has to offer. So I'm going to hold out for a kind Samaritan in my area to accept my offer of coffee or tea or soda. Under the right circumstances a micro-brew.
Once again, thanks.

Ralph
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Rooting your devices doesn't do anything magical. As a matter of fact many people who root their device can't tell if it's rooted or not. And a lot of folks ask what now?

The power of rooting is having the freedom to install whatever app you wish to install and configure the device how you wish.

For me I was not happy with the stock nook, I thought it did a lot but did it very poorly. Rooting the nook allowed me to install the apps I wanted making the nook an awesome device. I installed better browser, PDF reading apps, kindle 4 android, Moon+ (epub reader), productivity apps like Documents to Go, and some other fun games.

My advice is decide if you are happy with the nook, don't waste your time rooting the nook. If you are not happy with it and would like to make the device a better eReader and tablet, root the nook so you may install the apps that would make it better.

There are tons of good youtube videos and tutorials on how to root the nook and how a rooted nook looks like. I would recommend watching those videos.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 03-08-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Updated grammer
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
My advice is decide if you are happy with the nook, if you are don't waste your time rooting the nook. If you are not and would like to make the device a better eReader and tablet root the nook and install the apps.

There are tons of good youtube videos and tutorials on how to root the nook and how a rooted nook looks like. I would recommend watching those videos.

=X=
Great advice.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I would think that people not already familiar with Android might not see any advantage right away. On the other hand, those of us who have Android smartphones have a head start on what Android can do. I really like the Android tablet aspects as well as the reader on the NC.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
dmunsil
dmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with others

Device: Kindle; Nook Color
I live in Kirkland and would be happy to show you a rooted Nook. Be prepared to be underwhelmed, though. :-) Feel free to send email: My address is don@munsil.com.

Don Munsil
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
Red Alert
Zealot

Don, thanks a bunch. I've sent an email.

To everyone else who responded to my post. Thanks.

Ralph
Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Good luck - Sadly I'm no longer in Port Orchard or I'd offer to help, too.

The real key to rooting from my perspective was that it let me use other reading apps which I think are better - particularly Aldiko and Kindle.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
Red Alert
Zealot

I've got to award a huge dose of Karma/Thanks to "dmunsil" who welcomed me into his home today, demonstrated his rooted NOOKcolor and then rooted my NC for me!!! I'm sure I would eventually have been able to root my NC, but I'm also sure it would have taken me hours and hours.

At first blush, I like the advantages of a rooted NC. Now I can explore the market and see what interests me.

Thanks!

Ralph