Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #61
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
We just back from shopping out of town and got a chance to go to Barnes & Noble. They had the NookColor on display. My husband played with it quite a bit (I think he wants one!) I thought it was impressive for the size, being much more portable than an iPad. It says that it views well in sunlight too. Is that really true? I'm a tad bit skeptical. I didn't find the touchscreen as responsive as my Sony. I don't know if it comes with a stylus, but the display didn't have one, which is typical. I would love to be able to get one for my husband! He was like a kid, he seemed so excited about all that it could do. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on his computer right now researching it! His birthday is coming up, I'll have to see if I can manage it financially.
that is too funny, I did the pre ordered no obligation through my local BN. They called on Wednesday and went down on Thursday to play around with it before I made a decision to buy it.

Well like your husband I too was like a kid in a candy shop. And my wife looked at me and asked, well I guess i don't have to aske if we are walking out with tonight

I'm stlll playing and having fun with.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #62
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
that is too funny, I did the pre ordered no obligation through my local BN. They called on Wednesday and went down on Thursday to play around with it before I made a decision to buy it.

Well like your husband I too was like a kid in a candy shop. And my wife looked at me and asked, well I guess i don't have to aske if we are walking out with tonight

I'm stlll playing and having fun with.
Yeah, that sounds like my husband alright! Luckily they didn't have it in stock, just the display model.

I've had my Sony Reader for almost 2 years and he wasn't the tiniest bit interested in it. I could go on & on about my Reader and he would be like "yeah, yeah" ... no big deal to him.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with it! Enjoy!

If I get him one for his birthday, he'll have to share it with me! So, it's Win Win!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #63
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds like my husband alright! Luckily they didn't have it in stock, just the display model.

I've had my Sony Reader for almost 2 years and he wasn't the tiniest bit interested in it. I could go on & on about my Reader and he would be like "yeah, yeah" ... no big deal to him.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with it! Enjoy!

If I get him one for his birthday, he'll have to share it with me! So, it's Win Win!
sounds like a good plan
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #64
lacemaker
lacemaker began at the beginning.

Device: colorNook
from a clueless consumer

My color Nook arrived two days ago, and I managed to crash it within ten minutes of start up while web searching free e-book titles, of course. My main complaint is that I had to fiddle and fool around for two hours to learn HOW to downlaod ePub titles from my darling local library (clueless consumer with an iPod Classic 160gb. HEAVY library audio book user.) Have not tried MP3 on the Nook yet (and why would I, the iPod is pocket light portable.) Love the read to me children's books (my grand daughter will love it too.) As a web search tool it is as useless, as slow and clunky as my two year old $250 net book. It wanted to be charged this evening, and it's still charging 3 and half hours later. Is this normal? No, it's not as wonderful as I had hoped, and yes, I should have held out for an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I really want to see reviews from clueless consumers--people who don't have experience with smart phones and tablets and Android and are just jumping in for the first time. (As I am thinking of doing!)
lacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #65
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Hmm, I web browsed on mine for an hour last night without issue. Seemed to be just as good as the browser on my iPod Touch. This thing is definitely not an iPad replacement though. It is an ebook reader and it is excellent at that. The extra stuff is nice, but this device will never be an iPad nor should we honestly expect it to be.

I think many people went into this thinking it was a full android tablet, but this is an eReader and anyone wanting a tablet should really look elsewhere.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #66
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacemaker View Post
My color Nook arrived two days ago, and I managed to crash it within ten minutes of start up while web searching free e-book titles, of course. My main complaint is that I had to fiddle and fool around for two hours to learn HOW to downlaod ePub titles from my darling local library (clueless consumer with an iPod Classic 160gb. HEAVY library audio book user.) Have not tried MP3 on the Nook yet (and why would I, the iPod is pocket light portable.) Love the read to me children's books (my grand daughter will love it too.) As a web search tool it is as useless, as slow and clunky as my two year old $250 net book. It wanted to be charged this evening, and it's still charging 3 and half hours later. Is this normal? No, it's not as wonderful as I had hoped, and yes, I should have held out for an iPad.
You can do a factory reset by pressing Power + Home + Volume up.
This seems to solve all kinds of problems.

Downloading e-pub books from a public libary works the same for every e-reader device. You cannot blame this on the Nook.

Webbrowsing should be fast and responsive. Do you have a good Wifi/internet connection?

According to the quick-start guide charging should take about 3 hours.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #67
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
More reviews. The downside is that B&N says you can only have 600,000 books on the device with no SD card...
http://www.slashgear.com/A week with nookcolor hardware/
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #68
lacemaker
lacemaker began at the beginning.

Device: colorNook
Thanks for the tips!

Not exactly the same: there's a video on You Tube which purports to show it's done, but that method does not work unless the file is downloaded via Overdrive from the library web site, saved on the computer first, then transferred to Adobe Digital Editions, and thence to the colorNook. My whine was that I had to search for the information (you wanted to hear from a clueless comsumer, remember, y'all) since BN certainly was not going to be helpful (i.e., obvious) on the topic. (I bought 4 children's books today, they should be happy.)
Let's see, Power, home, volume up - I'm going to borrow a hand from my luddite husband for this one.
DSL, yup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can do a factory reset by pressing Power + Home + Volume up.
This seems to solve all kinds of problems.

Downloading e-pub books from a public libary works the same for every e-reader device. You cannot blame this on the Nook.

Webbrowsing should be fast and responsive. Do you have a good Wifi/internet connection?

According to the quick-start guide charging should take about 3 hours.
lacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #69
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacemaker View Post
Not exactly the same: there's a video on You Tube which purports to show it's done, but that method does not work unless the file is downloaded via Overdrive from the library web site, saved on the computer first, then transferred to Adobe Digital Editions, and thence to the colorNook. My whine was that I had to search for the information (you wanted to hear from a clueless comsumer, remember, y'all) since BN certainly was not going to be helpful (i.e., obvious) on the topic. (I bought 4 children's books today, they should be happy.)
Let's see, Power, home, volume up - I'm going to borrow a hand from my luddite husband for this one.
DSL, yup.
According to newer information the factory reset is just power+home.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #70
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
We just back from shopping out of town and got a chance to go to Barnes & Noble. They had the NookColor on display. My husband played with it quite a bit (I think he wants one!) I thought it was impressive for the size, being much more portable than an iPad. It says that it views well in sunlight too. Is that really true? I'm a tad bit skeptical. I didn't find the touchscreen as responsive as my Sony. I don't know if it comes with a stylus, but the display didn't have one, which is typical. I would love to be able to get one for my husband! He was like a kid, he seemed so excited about all that it could do. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on his computer right now researching it! His birthday is coming up, I'll have to see if I can manage it financially.
Just had to share this! My giddy over the NookColor husband keeps calling it a Noodle! We've figured out that when you put a Kindle with a Nook (or rather a Nook with a Kindle, kind of like a Labradoodle) you get a "Noodle"! It just cracks me up when he calls it that, so innocently. He's now catching himself right after he says it. Maybe that'll be his pet name for it, if I get him one!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #71
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Take a look at the Pocketbook IQ, it's an Android tablet and completely open so you can load the Nook Android App and access your library. You can also load the Kindle app, the upcoming Sony app, Aldiko,FBReader, etc.

At $149.99 it's a good deal and completely open! Nice screen, responsive touchscreen, running Android 2.0 and new firmware is due this week to give the IQ Android 2.2.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #72
boswd
Banned

Nook color video review

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...s&Number=39215
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #73
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

I bought my color nook today. Sorta pleased - there are a few bugs in the system. 32GB cards are not workign for me unless I jump through some hoops. Formatting the card does not work if the card is over 16gb. Directories are created on the card in read only mode so you have to change the attributes to write to the card.

Biggest complaint - you need wifi to set it up and they do not tell you the mac address until you have already set it up. All of my access points have mac address control - so I had to walk to a neighbor's yard to leech his wifi to do the initial setup.

The screen is not as responsive as I would like.

In general - worth it with the understanding that there will be a new software release coming. Heavier than I expected. but since my kid has taken over my ipad, I did need a color ebook reader. I have the ipod touch 4 for shirt pocket use, and this is decent for taking with when I pre-plan trips.

The file system for me is SO MUCH BETTER than the Sony that takes minutes to boot. I have an android tablet from China that is above the general quality, and the color nook is better. Half of the memory of the tablet though.

Oh - the nook specs say 8GB - I only see 5gb useable.

Loaded 18K ebooks as a test. Seems to be working as I pull them from the filesystem.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #74
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
It looked like it could be a really really nice device...I'm torn right now between getting rid of my Nook and getting this, or just sticking with the Nook and using my Phone as the "color" reader. I have a hard time with LCD screens, but this device might force me to "deal with it"
I'm considering keeping my Nook Classic for eBooks, and getting a Nook Color for magazines, comic books, graphic novels, and movies.

I do have movies on my iPod, but the screen is just too small. And I have read several reviews that state that the Nook Color is just perfect for color comic books.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #75
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Nice review from Time:

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...032751,00.html

Another good one:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-11/...he-nook-color/
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote