Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
You can get a 4 GB card for $10.
I know.

Nook ($149) + spare battery ($30) + matte black skin ($20) + 2GB card ($5) = $204

Kindle ($139) + long battery (incl) + black body (incl) + extra GB (incl) = $139

Do the math.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #47
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I know.

Nook ($149) + spare battery ($30) + matte black skin ($20) + 2GB card ($5) = $204

Kindle ($139) + long battery (incl) + black body (incl) + extra GB (incl) = $139

Do the math.
So why don't you just buy the Kindle 3 and have done with it? Why are you hanging around this forum, whining and complaining.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
So why don't you just buy the Kindle 3 and have done with it? Why are you hanging around this forum, whining and complaining.
Kindle doesn't do library books. Look, if this is really bothering you, then address your concerns to those who won't take my reasons (see post 8) at face value. I'm not the one prolonging this; I'm just responding.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #49
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Personally, I think the conversation has been interesting, with applicable information for folks thinking of making a similar choice.

I'd love to bring Astak into the converstation, but there are limited supply problems atm making them hard to find, except on Buy.com. Their units come with a hard cover, so sticking it in a backpack (when needed) isn't difficult. Like the Kobo, the battery length doesn't reach the K3 claim of 4 weeks, but it does (like the Kobo) access Library books. It also has a user-replaceable battery which means a second battery would easily provide the required 4 weeks.

Anyway, just remember that if it weren't for Thomas Edison, we'd be reading our ebooks by candlelight, and when the batteries ran down, we'd all be out of luck.

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-30-2010 at 04:41 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #50
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Kindle doesn't do library books. Look, if this is really bothering you, then address your concerns to those who won't take my reasons (see post 8) at face value. I'm not the one prolonging this; I'm just responding.
Yes we know the Kindle doesn't do library books. The point is that the reader you want doesn't exist and as far as we know may never exist. We try to point out alternatives that come close as close as possible to meeting your requirements and you will point out where they fall short.

For example, it was essentially pointed out to you that the new Kobo will meet most of your criteria except fall a week short on the battery life (even though most believe that the Amazon claim is optimistic for the Kindle 2); yes it requires an SD card, but even with the SD card we are talking $149, the price of the Nook.

The Nook falls way short on battery, and color, but you insist on waiting for the Nook2 which is unannounced and complaining about the existing Nook at the same time.

Here is a thought, you don't have to personally reply to every post a person makes... Just state to everyone that no existing reader meets your requirement, so you will withdraw from the conversation.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Yes we know the Kindle doesn't do library books. The point is that the reader you want doesn't exist and as far as we know may never exist.
That's why I said I'm waiting.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #52
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You hav emore patience then I. I would be seriously bummed had I not had my Kindle these last few years.

OK, probably not because I wouldn't know what I had been missing. But I know I would have read less, I hated driving to the library and bookstores, and spent more buying hardbacks of my favorite authors when they came out.

Knowing that, I am thrilled that I got my K1 when I did. It wasn't perfect, silly lack of organization, but it worked quite nicely and I enjoyed it for the 18-19 months I read on it before I got my DXG.

If you are willing to wait then you are a stronger person then I. Heck, I couldn't wait three months for my birthday so that my Husband could get me the DXG. I had to have it the day it came out. Paid for the one day shipping and everything.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #53
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I think this has been an interesting discussion. Whine way!
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote