Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Speculation on eBook Library 2.0 PC Software

JSWolf posted from the Sony text:

"The Reader Digital Book isn’t just about reading eBooks. Using the included eBook Library 2.0 PC Software, you can easily transfer Adobe® PDF documents10, Microsoft Word documents5, BbeB Book, and other text file formats to the Reader, allowing you the flexibility to access and view multiple files at any time."

Anyone willing to speculate what this is?
Is it a new version of the Librie LRF program or 2.0 of the Connect Reader software?
Will Sony make it available to us early adopters?
If its the Connect Reader software, what do you think of dropping Connect from its title? Is Sony considering dropping the brand from the eBook store?
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I think it just a facelift for the Connect software with a new name.

The Connect name was so associated with the now deleted Sony music store that they are better off giving it a new name. I feel that the Connect name has little or no marketing value as it has more negatives than positives.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Since part of the marketing verbiage also specifically mentioned accessing "unrestricted" or "DRM-free" content from other Web stores, dropping the Connect name also promotes it as a more open device.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe this ebook library is a way to organize your ebooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe this ebook library is a way to organize your ebooks?
That's what I thought too. That this new software will be a way to keep track of all the books that you have and organize them.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Real organization functions would be nice. It would also be nice not to have to specifically distinguish between the ConnStore and the ConnSoft.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
So I wonder if "eBook Library 2.0" will be usable by us Reader 1.0 folks?

I hope so, because I find the Connect software the weakest link in the Reader setup...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
So I wonder if "eBook Library 2.0" will be usable by us Reader 1.0 folks?

I hope so, because I find the Connect software the weakest link in the Reader setup...
Many have thought the same thoughts as you. Many use libprs500 to manage the loading and unloading of their Reader.

I suspect that new software will be for all Readers -- 500 and 505. There does not seem to be a major change in the hardware that would require a whole new set of firmware. It is also easier and less costly to maintain one release level than two. (Think of those user accounts that will have one 500 and one 505.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
The Connect Reader software has its problems and "eBook Library 2.0" will be a welcome upgrade for all Sony Reader owners. Even though the Connect Music Store seemed doomed to failure from the start (iTunes already had the battle won), Sony regularly updated the Sonic Stage software, and each version was better than the previous one. My 3 year old Network Walkman device is still supported. From a user standpoint, Sonic Stage was no better or worse than iTunes, IMHO.

Apple was lauded for providing an integrated solution for buying and using music and other audio. I don't like DRM or proprietary formats any more than anyone else but sometimes I think Sony gets unfairly slammed for doing the same things that Apple does.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote