Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'm fairly certain it's just a story.
I don't think so. Recently when I was on a flight from Shenzhen to Kunming they made me put my Reader away because all the girls gathered around my seat were making the plane tilt. I am sure the Iliad would have the same effect.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
Sadly, for me it was the opposite. My wife and I were at our honeymoon, just a week ago at a Jamaican resort. I noticed that all the old fogies gravitated towards me when I whipped out my Iliad. It was like an Axe body spray commercial gone terribly wrong... That and my wife kept calling me a nerd...
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigumpah View Post
Sadly, for me it was the opposite. My wife and I were at our honeymoon, just a week ago at a Jamaican resort. I noticed that all the old fogies gravitated towards me when I whipped out my Iliad. It was like an Axe body spray commercial gone terribly wrong... That and my wife kept calling me a nerd...
Nice Honeymoon indeed! My sympathies! Hope that trip was not like that all the way. I would have first thought that the guys were there to oggle your wife with the reader as an excuse. We old farts do that you know! Kidding!

Readers inspire book lovers and mostly learned people to come out of muteness and find out what they are. Kids too gravitate naturally to them mainly due to their forced use of text books. The ebook will take off soon, it's not quite clear what trigger will set it off.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Well, let's face it - on a certain level, the Sony is a gadget, whereas the Iliad is a tool. Gadgets are always sexier. But not necessarily more useful.

<ducks & covers once again>
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
You must have had a rough childhood.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
I'm fairly certain it's just a story.
Who cares? Anything that makes me laugh like that is a very good thing!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #22
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Well, let's face it - on a certain level, the Sony is a gadget, whereas the Iliad is a tool. Gadgets are always sexier. But not necessarily more useful.

I look at it this way, the Sony is a screwdriver, the iLiad is an 18 volt craftsman cordless power drill. Sure, they screwdriver will run forever, but it's not as cool as having a high powered drill.

Edit: we need to have some sort of Sony vs iLiad battle royal. Now that would be entertainment.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
I look at it this way, the Sony is a screwdriver, the iLiad is an 18 volt craftsman cordless power drill. Sure, they screwdriver will run forever, but it's not as cool as having a high powered drill.

Edit: we need to have some sort of Sony vs iLiad battle royal. Now that would be entertainment.
Well I'll tell ya that the tiny 3" screwdriver at the bottom of my toolchest has saved my butt everytime that big fancy driver couldn't get inside the bottom of things, and it's done the work when I forgot to bring up a spare battery. But yeah I love that Bosch, real workhorse it is...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Except that there should be a "Harbor Freight Tools" which offers an Iliad equivalent for a much lower price! Oh wait! There *WILL* be - in the Hanlin V9 series.

Derek

Quote:

delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Except that there should be a "Harbor Freight Tools" which offers an Iliad equivalent for a much lower price! Oh wait! There *WILL* be - in the Hanlin V9 series.

Derek
I've looked at it. It won't be as good as the Iliad.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I've looked at it. It won't be as good as the Iliad.
That depends on how OPEN the V9 is made. if it's as open as the iLiad, there could be a chance for it to blow away the iLiad due to having a better screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #27
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
the problem with the V9 is that you can have either wifi or a touch screen, according to thier Product Plan. Surely those types of connections would benefit from a touch screen?
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #28
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
The only problem as far as I can see is that the V9 has either a touch screen or connectivity options but not both (from their Product Plan). I think they missed a trick there.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So you have wifi, but no touch screen. ow the heck are you supposed to use the wifi?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps it'll be similar to the iLiad, where the WiFi is (primarily) used for automated content download from a pre-defined location.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote