Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Chariots Of the Gods? Anyone read it?

I am not far into it, but I see some potential in it.

Product Description:
Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods is a work of monumental importance--the first book to introduce the shocking theory that ancient Earth had been visited by aliens. This world-famous bestseller has withstood the test of time, inspiring countless books and films, including the author's own popular sequel, The Eyes of the Sphinx. But here is where it all began--von Daniken's startling theories of our earliest encounters with alien worlds, based upon his lifelong studies of ancient ruins, lost cities, potential spaceports, and a myriad of hard scientific facts that point to extraterrestrial intervention in human history. Most incredible of all, however, is von Daniken's theory that we ourselves are the descendants of these galactic pioneers--and the archeological discoveries that prove it...
* An alien astronaut preserved in a pyramid
* Thousand-year-old spaceflight navigation charts
* Computer astronomy from Incan and Egyptian ruins
* A map of the land beneath the ice cap of Antarctica
* A giant spaceport discovered in the Andes
Includes remarkable photos that document mankind's first contact with aliens at the dawn of civilization.

I usually like reading this stuff to see what far out ideas people can come up with. I saw that the History channel has a show debuting on Tuesday, and they talk about this book on their website.

3 chapters in and I am amazed at some of the things he is predicting in 1968 about space travel and how close somethings are to reality in our space program, ans some way off (like being able to travel at the speed of light).

Anyways wonder if anyone read this before, and if it gets better. It seems the first few chapters is trying to open up the readers mind, because I guess in those times it was much different.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Yes, read them all!

Hi rock

I read all the von Daniken ("extra-terrestrials were here") books when they first came out, and enjoyed them tremendously. Okay I was a teenager then, and fairly gullible I suppose... but they make one think of what may have happened, and what's possible! Here's the author's website if you want to know more.
http://www.daniken.com/e/index.html
By the way, my very smart Dad (who passed away last year age 93) told me at the time -- "well, he [meaning von Daniken] may be full of hooey but he sure does tell a good story". So whether or not you are a believer, the books make for grand reading!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
yeah I can already tell he is very good story teller.

I will say some of the stuff does make sense though.

He says we been around a million years, but only have 8000 years of history what's up with that. It makes you think about it.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
After you get done with that, may I suggest Flim-Flam, by James Randi? He has a very amusing analysis of von Daniken's theories, IIRC, among other topics. (The chapter about Conan Doyle and the Cottingly Fairies is worth the price of admission by itself in my opinion. Sadly, I don't think it's out in ebook.)

Last edited by wayrad; 04-19-2010 at 05:21 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I read it (and several other von Daniken's books) as a kid. I was really into ancient alien visitors when I was twelve. Then I went to college and took some anthropology classes and realized how he picked out the images and facts that seemed to fit his story and dumped the rest. Great story telling though--I do admit.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
yeah I can already tell he is very good story teller.

I will say some of the stuff does make sense though.

He says we been around a million years, but only have 8000 years of history what's up with that. It makes you think about it.
Most of that would be some pretty boring history.
"Today Otag found a rock."

"Today Otag hit me with his rock."

"Today I found my own rock."

"Today I was going to his Otag with my rock but he was eaten by one of those pussycats with the big teeth."

"Today Omlat found a different rock."
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
NOOOooooOOOOooooOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't, or the archaeologist in me will die a little
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read CotG when it came out, too. It went well with the physiological, psychological and sociological studies I was into back then (along with anatomy and most religions), to help me understand why people believe what they do. In fact, the book (and its popularity at the time) says more about human nature than it does about Von Daniken and his theories.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Ain't it funny how Erich von Daniken appeals to teenagers (or teenager mentality)? I too read nearly all of Erich's books when I was about 12/13. Thought he wrote a good story then and probably half-believed most of it. Then I grew up.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:04 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have always believed this (in bold) to be the case.

Maybe my belief came after seeing UFO's checking us out... I was only in my early twenties then, but since then I'm sure they have something to do with us being here.

[QUOTE=rock;877349]I am not far into it, but I see some potential in it.

Product Description:
Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods is a work of monumental importance--the first book to introduce the shocking theory that ancient Earth had been visited by aliens. This world-famous bestseller has withstood the test of time, inspiring countless books and films, including the author's own popular sequel, The Eyes of the Sphinx. But here is where it all began--von Daniken's startling theories of our earliest encounters with alien worlds, based upon his lifelong studies of ancient ruins, lost cities, potential spaceports, and a myriad of hard scientific facts that point to extraterrestrial intervention in human history. Most incredible of all, however, is von Daniken's theory that we ourselves are the descendants of these galactic pioneers--and the archeological discoveries that prove it...
* An alien astronaut preserved in a pyramid
* Thousand-year-old spaceflight navigation charts
* Computer astronomy from Incan and Egyptian ruins
* A map of the land beneath the ice cap of Antarctica
Includes remarkable photos that document mankind's first contact with aliens at the dawn of civilization.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Drivel. Utter drivel. Preudo-science of the worst kind. Moreover, I actually find the idea that our ancestors were incapable of large-scale engineering projects without the assistance of "aliens" to be somewhat offensive. Their achievements were even more astounding when you consider that it was all done without the aid of sophisticated machines.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #12
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I always thought of von Daniken's books as a useful part of that adolescent search for meaning in the universe and the "what are we doing here" part of growing up - a bit like Herman Hesse but not as well written! I didn't realise grown-ups read them.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods***

In the mid-seventies, one of my jobs as European corr of a big US paper was to check out UFO stories. I interviewed Erich several times and used to attend the annual meetings of his organisation 'The Society of Ancient Astronauts'. He was great company, as was his wife, Elizabeth, and the eccentrics who used to surround them.

But I also found him a plausible rogue.

Much of his 'research' was tailored to suit his theory and his second book, especially, contained things (even pictures) that were brazenly fake beyond a doubt. Like all pseudoscholarship, his work is great fun ... but it should be taken with a shovel of salt, as should most of the similar books that his success spawned.

Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #14
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
Even if the "runways" weren't on soft sandy ground, why would an advanced technology need runways several miles long?
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ain't it funny how Erich von Daniken appeals to teenagers (or teenager mentality)? I too read nearly all of Erich's books when I was about 12/13.
I was probably around that age (in the 1980s) when I read COtG/tGfOS-- and Velikovsky's crap, too.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote