Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Noticeable slowdown for 1000 page + ebooks?

My reader still hasn't been delivered so can't check this...

I've read that extremely long books can cause noticeable page-turn slowdowns (perhaps relating only to pdf files - not sure).

Here's my issue - I'd like to do series of books as one (like HarryT does) but am wondering whether there is a noticeable slowdown in performance/page turn speed with ebooks of more than 1000 pages...

1. lrs file using reader fonts
2. lrs file using embedded fonts
3. lrs file using embedded fonts and 4-6 cover photos...

What is the performance hit (if any) for these scenarios compared, say, to a 300 page ebook?

Are there reader agility issues? memory issues? (Have no idea how it works)

Thanks...
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's certainly no slowdown with long LRFs compared with short ones. I have read that embedded fonts cause severe slowdowns, but have no personal experience of this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I've read a few eBooks over 1,000 pages, haven't noticed a difference between them and shorter books.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I think, like you said pitolee, that this issue is related to PDF files only, and it depends on which tools were used to generate the PDF (some generate more efficient PDF code than others).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
PDF slowdown noticeable after ~200 pages, gets worse as you get further into the document. There seemes to be a 1000-page limit after which pages are blank (at least using my set of PDF tools).

LRF and RTF seem fine. Embedded-font LRF is about 2-3x slower.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstampe
PDF slowdown noticeable after ~200 pages, gets worse as you get further into the document. There seemes to be a 1000-page limit after which pages are blank (at least using my set of PDF tools).

LRF and RTF seem fine. Embedded-font LRF is about 2-3x slower.
dstampe, what tool did you use to convert your PDFs? For instance, with htmldoc, I notice the same performance problems as you described. When I use Adobe Acrobat, there seems to be no decrease in performance, even with books with more than 1000 pages.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i'm the only thing that slows down after a thousand pages
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke
i'm the only thing that slows down after a thousand pages
*grin*
Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I see no noticeable slowdown reading 1200 page book in rtf format. Simple rtf. I have just set sans-sherif font size 12.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've read a number of files in RTF & LRF both that were well above 2000 pages, with no noticeable slowdown.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have not had any problems with RTF, LRF, or PDF formats.

One of the LRF books had over 5,000 pages and had no speed problems at either the start or end.

I created a properly page-sized PDF of 1,800+ pages in Adobe Acrobat and had no slowdown. I repeated it in ABBYY PDF Transformer and again no speed problems.

All of these were done using internal memory.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote