Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
yolan
Connoisseur
yolan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & Kindle PW
UK deals for Sony PRS-505 around BRISTOL?

Hi there!

First of all, hello to everybody.
I've just registered, though I've been reading the forum for a while now.

I'm interested in getting a sony prs505 reader, but unfortunately Sony does not sell it in Spain, where I live.

My sister is going to travel to the UK next week (Bristol), and I've asked her to buy one for me over there.

I found a great deal at dixons.com (149 GBP!!) but they only sell online and worse... won't accept payment from outside UK.

I also found it at Waterstones (179 GBP) which has street stores in Bristol so my sister can go in and purchase directly.

Any other great deal that I should be considering?
Thanks a lot.

Yolan
yolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Hi Yolan, welcome to MobileRead.

The other two places I can think of in Bristol to buy a prs-505 in store are John Lewis (£199) and the Sony Store - currently advertising them for £224.99. Other places offering it online that I know about are either more expensive or again limited to UK credit card holders only.

The only thing I would say (as I live in Bristol) is that last time I was in Waterstones they didn't have any readers in stock in their central Bristol store. I will be in the area again tomorrow so can find out what their current availability is, if that would help!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
yolan
Connoisseur

Thanks Ruth.

I have contacted the Galleries store manager myself and they have some units in stock. He even offered to put one aside for me (cool guy!)

Do you know if WHSmith sells the reader at their stores? I've just seen their online promo 163 GBP and I think they have a store in the Galleries too..

Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I'm not sure about WHSmith - I seem to remember wandering round there and not finding anything, but I can definitely check tomorrow for you if it would help.

The Waterstones store in the Galleries is usually great and their staff have always been incredibly helpful when I've been in there.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
ruth1304
Addict

By the way, have just noticed on the WHSmith website that although you can't have items delivered outside the UK you can order from outside the uk for delivery to a uk address. Would you be able to order one for your sister to collect from the Galleries store? I think you might get a £10 ebook voucher as well.
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
gjim
gjim began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolan View Post
Hi there!

First of all, hello to everybody.
I've just registered, though I've been reading the forum for a while now.

I'm interested in getting a sony prs505 reader, but unfortunately Sony does not sell it in Spain, where I live.

My sister is going to travel to the UK next week (Bristol), and I've asked her to buy one for me over there.

I found a great deal at dixons.com (149 GBP!!) but they only sell online and worse... won't accept payment from outside UK.

I also found it at Waterstones (179 GBP) which has street stores in Bristol so my sister can go in and purchase directly.

Any other great deal that I should be considering?
Thanks a lot.

Yolan
www.play.com is selling it for £149 with free postage . Although probably not free to Spain.
I went onto the site and with the Sony reader in the shopping basket, created an account . Spain did come up as one of the location options on the form. You could be lucky here . Although similar to Amazon.com in the USA if you try and buy electronic items it will politely decline the order, saying that this item cannot be sent to your location. You could try though.
gjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm pretty sure that play.com don't ship outside the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
damn good deal at play.com !

I am now going to consider buying prs-505 instead of repairing my cybook !
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm pretty sure that play.com don't ship outside the UK.
Harry you are quite correct! in the early days they used to ship everything EEC wide FOC but for a long time now have excluded many items (shame I used to use them all the time) their FAQ for shipping outside UK says;

"Products eligible
DVD, music, games, books, and clothing are eligible. Unfortunately, we cannot delivery electronics, personal computers, gadgets, or mobile outside of the UK."
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
yolan
Connoisseur

Thank you guys!

The problem with most of the online stores I have checked is that they'd only ship the item to the card holder's address, which in my case is outside UK... They say is to prevent fraud... and I guess the hand of Sony UK is probably behind this policy too.

Anyway, I'm going to try play.com ...

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
yolan
Connoisseur

No luck.. I get a pop-up message to remind me that "for security reasons, this item can only be delivered to my billing address"... Too bad

However, the price seems to be £194 today...

Hey, I went back to WHSmith website and they have a great deal today!!! £147 and £5 voucher.. but no delivery to local stores.

Ruth, was it possible for you to check WHSmith at the Galleries? Thank you so much
Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
ruth1304
Addict

I did have a quick look round WHSmith - I didn't have as long as I wanted unfortunately. Couldn't see anything in the electronics or the books sections (I have looked for ebooks in their stores before without success) but didn't have time to wait for a member of staff to be free to ask. Sorry. This doesn't mean they didn't have one as their store is really difficult to find things in. It is very close to Waterstones though - I don't know if your sister would be able to visit both for you?

That's a pain because the item details online suggest that you should be able to order it to a store. It's only when you add it to your basket that it starts imposing restrictions.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
yolan
Connoisseur

Thanks for the favour.

I'll try to phone the WHSmith store tomorrow, the number is on their website. I tried last week several times, when they finally picked up the phone, I asked for the reader but I couldn't barely understand a word the girl said over the noise... just the end of the sentence: "blah-blah-blah... I'm afraid."... which does not sound like good news, eh? And then she just hung up!

I'll try to figure out tomorrow if the problem is that they only sell it online, they don't have it in stock right now or what.. I'll pay careful attention this time, though it is hard to understand a foreign language over a noisy line... and this girl spoke really fast!!

Anyway, I will tell my sister to visit WHSmith in the first place when she goes to the Galleries.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
gjim
gjim began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Have you tried this site Apolo XXI its based in Spain.

Last edited by gjim; 08-11-2009 at 04:27 PM.
gjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
yolan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjim View Post
Have you tried this site Apolo XXI its based in Spain.
Thanks gjim

Yeah, I do know them, I think they must import them somehow, because Sony is not selling them anywhere else in Spain. Anyway, spending 350€ (295-300 GBP) on the prs505 is out of discussion.

Prices in the UK are really low in comparison. If my sister can bring me one from the UK, that's fine. If not, I will live without it until Sony Spain decides to import it... and at a reasonable price.

I think it's going to be Waterstones finally. WHSmith in Bristol said they don't sell it anymore and they won't be receiving because Sony is not manufacturing them... I don't know if this is true, probably it is, as Sony has recently announced the new 300 and 600 models. That would explain why there are so many bargains these days.. everyone's trying to sell out all of their current stock!