Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
boriz
boriz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Solar charger?

This would be sweet.

Seriously.

An infinite book. If I was stuck on an Island, it would be nice to have a solar charger for my e-book. This means a lot of music and books.

Concept picture:

What do you think of THAT!?
boriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well you can get a Solio Hybrid Charger now. No concept needed.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
boriz

Sir no way and I going to spend ~70 dollars on one! I bet the same can be made for FAR less.

I would also like to add that having the wires inside the cover and plugging into the reader by having the metal contacts touch would be excellent, kind of like on a home phone.

Having the device run on strictly a solar panel would be an advantage, and having it run making it switch to battery mode when there is no sun around would be just as nice.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriz View Post
Sir no way and I going to spend ~70 dollars on one! I bet the same can be made for FAR less.

I would also like to add that having the wires inside the cover and plugging into the reader by having the metal contacts touch would be excellent, kind of like on a home phone.

Having the device run on strictly a solar panel would be an advantage, and having it run making it switch to battery mode when there is no sun around would be just as nice.
Not a "sir" but do it the way that works best for you. I was just suggesting a solution that already exits. If you make a solar cover, I'm sure you'll make a lot of money.

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-21-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Patricia has a solar charger that works for her, even in blustery Wales.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I have the Solio and it works for me, not only on my Kindle but my iPod and cell phone as well.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I like the concept. Except I typically flip the flap all the way back.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have the Solio and it works for me, not only on my Kindle but my iPod and cell phone as well.
Great idea!

How long does the normal charge take?
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
Great idea!

How long does the normal charge take?
It's a Hybrid charger which means you can charge it by the sun or by plugging it into the wall. The charge is supposed to last one year if unused.

I live in Southern California, so I just keep it out on my balcony all the time (it's part of my earthquake kit), so I don't know how long the sun takes to charge it. I'm sure the stats are on Solio's website.

I'm able to connect my devices with their USB cables (with my K1 I did have to use a Palm Zire USB cable to charge it but no problem with K2). You can also use tips from iGo.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
boriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I like the concept. Except I typically flip the flap all the way back.

=X=
I do this SOMETIMES. I guess you guys win, because I'd need to use the internal battery more than the charger.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Patricia has a solar charger that works for her, even in blustery Wales.
Really? Is there a thread where she discusses/reviewes it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
boriz

Any more ideas?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
slaughters
slaughters began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Just create your own solar powered USB charger using those old solar powered garden lights you have laying around:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/800000..._easy_to_make/
slaughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Another entrant on the solar front. The USB Solar Charging 4-Port Hub. It does not have to be connected to a computer to charge devices. It's about $20 so I may have to buy it and see how long it takes to charge a Kindle.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have a "solar powered" calculator that runs from power from interior lighting, not just direct sunlight.

Does anyone know of a similar charger that will work with the ebook readers? The Solio, for example, requires direct sunlight.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote