Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
ePUB metadata

Hi all,

I'm considering publishing all the books I've created (and those I make in the future) in ePUB format. Even if there are no full-featured ePUB readers (or none I could find/try), for some like me who likes to hand-craft the (X)HTML of each book, ePUB has the advantage of storing the XHTML and image files unmodified, so there's no need to save the source files, and then the ePUB could be used as a source to editions in other formats.

OK, so my question is, what is the best way to include the publication metadata in the ePUB files? I mean, in particular:

- Having MobileRead appear somewhere. I'm putting it an "publisher" now.

- Adding my name. I have it in the "dc:contributor" element, with "role=bkp" (book producer)

- Stating the source of the original text used for the conversion (Project Gutenberg, Wikimedia, etc.). I put that in the "dc:source" element, of course, but I'm worried that could be seen as a sort of "association" with Project Gutenberg, which is not allowed if the text is modified (and I usually modify it quite a bit).

Do you think this system is OK? Any comments? More data to add?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, and about the different date "events", I use:

"publication" for the original publication year.
"creation" for the day I create the first version of the ePUB file.
"modification" for the day I made the last change in the ePUB file.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Sounds pretty good Jellby. I'd like to see more files using dc:description too. I've added support for this in both our Mobipocket and ePub files on Feedbooks, and it is very nice to have a description displayed in Mobipocket Desktop.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Sounds pretty good Jellby. I'd like to see more files using dc:description too. I've added support for this in both our Mobipocket and ePub files on Feedbooks, and it is very nice to have a description displayed in Mobipocket Desktop.
Yes, I'd also like to add dc:description, dc:subject, and dc:type, but I think we need some kind of standard for the last two and a creative writer for the first
Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, I'd also like to add dc:description, dc:subject, and dc:type, but I think we need some kind of standard for the last two and a creative writer for the first
dc:type is usually quite limited: a MIME-type or something like "Text".
For dc:subject, sure, a controlled vocabulary might be better but you can use anything (use multiple dc:subject elements).

dc:rights is useful too, you can describe where the book is in the public domain or include the URI of the license if it's a CC-licensed book.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
dc:type is usually quite limited: a MIME-type or something like "Text".
Really? What if it's a book with illustrations? Or a picture book with some verses?

Ah, I see... I've found this page. But it looks like almost every ePUB will be "Text".
Old 12-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Really? What if it's a book with illustrations? Or a picture book with some verses?

Ah, I see... I've found this page. But it looks like almost every ePUB will be "Text".
Yeah, although you could potentially use a different controlled vocabulary.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Yeah, although you could potentially use a different controlled vocabulary.
Apparently, the Dublic Core suggests using multiple Type elements, with as many tags from the "DCMIType vocabulary" as needed (for instance "Text" and "Image" for an illustrated book), and also with tags from other vocabularies:

http://dublincore.org/documents/usag...elements.shtml

But I don't know if the ePUB specification allows multiple <dc:type> tags...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
From the OPF spec:

Quote:
The metadata or dc-metadata (deprecated) elements may contain any number of instances of any Dublin Core elements. Dublin Core metadata elements may occur in any order; in fact, multiple instances of the same element type (e.g. multiple Dublin Core creator elements) can be interspersed with other metadata elements without change of meaning.
So there you go.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
From the OPF spec:
Thanks! That's much better. I saw that it was specifically stated for some elements the possibility of multiple instances, but not for every one.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Thanks! That's much better. I saw that it was specifically stated for some elements the possibility of multiple instances, but not for every one.
Yeah, that's very common, actually. I use several dc:subject both in our files and on our webpages (using RDFa).
Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Apparently, the Dublic Core suggests using multiple Type elements, with as many tags from the "DCMIType vocabulary" as needed (for instance "Text" and "Image" for an illustrated book), and also with tags from other vocabularies:

http://dublincore.org/documents/usag...elements.shtml

Multiple types are allowed but both TEXT and IMAGE would be confusing as one is defined to be primarily text while the other is defined to be primarily images (a coffee table book). Which is it?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Multiple types are allowed but both TEXT and IMAGE would be confusing as one is defined to be primarily text while the other is defined to be primarily images (a coffee table book). Which is it?
TEXT most of the time.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Aside from the files themselves, I also recommend using RDFa on the webpage of the book to describe it:
For example on Feebooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/348
... can be extracted as: http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa/ext...true&submit=Go!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

And what about an author's alternative names (pseudonyms, real name...)? Is there any field/way to store them?

For instance, I would put "Mark Twain" as a creator with role="aut" and file-as="Twain, Mark"... but where could I put "Samuel Langhorne Clemens", his real name?