Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #316
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I also have Charis SIL as my default 'Original'. I don't have the equivalent smallcaps, though. Was that a pay-for addition?

Regarding the installation, I'm afraid I can't answer that one as I used porkupan's restore-set-1.0.04.12210 beforehand to be on the safe side. However, in post #307 soseono claims that installing the June version directly over the April version worked.

[Edit:] Re: the Charis smallcaps, Google was my friend, I see you helpfully posted them for someone back in March. Thanks, I'll give them a go tomorrow.
See PM for better editions of the Charis SIL fonts.

Thanks for pointing out post #307. I'll be able to give the T1 a go tomorrow. To be honest, the only font used on it that's not embedded by the publisher is Charis SIL. It's a very nice readable font and with my slight darkening of it, it's now even better to read.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-04-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #317
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have installed the new reader app for the current firmware on top of the reader app from the previous firmware and it went without a hitch.

The clock is a nice addition. And also, the CSS for each font change is a nice addition. I've only really changed the default. So now the default is Charis SIL with a smallcaps version and Arial as the sans-serif. I think that should do it.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #318
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that after updating to the new Reader app over the previous Reader app, it did survive a reboot no problem.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #319
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here is the link to my improved Charis SIL with smallcaps.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-31-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #320
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Since I've posted the link to my modified Charis SIL fonts with smallcaps, 17 people have downloaded them.

If you've downloaded them, I'd like to know what you think of them.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #321
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question

In the latest PRST2 thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=183760&page=2 ,
a side discussion began about using code in here to add clock, battery level and upgrade homescreen. Myself and a few others expressed interest in learning how to do this. I can only speak for myself, but I am rather intimidated by my lack of expertise in how to actually add this to an unrooted T1. If someone has a simple, step-by-step guide in how to do [and perhaps undo] this and would post it here it would be appreciated. I did skim through the thread and didn't see any exact instructions, so if I missed it I apologize.

Thank you for your time and assistance if you can point me in the right direction.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #322
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
In the latest PRST2 thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=183760&page=2 ,
a side discussion began about using code in here to add clock, battery level and upgrade homescreen. Myself and a few others expressed interest in learning how to do this. I can only speak for myself, but I am rather intimidated by my lack of expertise in how to actually add this to an unrooted T1. If someone has a simple, step-by-step guide in how to do [and perhaps undo] this and would post it here it would be appreciated. I did skim through the thread and didn't see any exact instructions, so if I missed it I apologize.

Thank you for your time and assistance if you can point me in the right direction.
There are some outline instructions included in Morkl's download zip file, in the file called readme.txt.

These are probably detailed enough if you have already owned one of the earlier Sony models (PRS505/300/600/350/650/950) and you installed the PRSPlus enhancement package. Especially if font customisation via extra css files is one of the features you have already used.

Installing Morkl's modified reader app is very straightforward if you're using a Windows PC. However, if the PRST1 is your first Sony reader and you have never dabbled in font customisation using extra css files, then a more detailed step-by-step may be helpful when configuring to suit your personal tastes. For Mac/Linux users pssquirrel has written some extra instructions for the installation procedure, in post #303.

If you are also a Windows user, I'm willing to have a go at writing a detailed step-by-step via PMs. If that goes well I can try and condense our (possibly lengthy) dialogue into something which may be useful to all newbies and post it here as a single post.

If you want to give it a try, contact me via PM and we'll take it from there.

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-07-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #323
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Once I get access to the T1, I'll copy the default.css and post it here so others can see what it is I've done to maybe get an idea.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #324
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
There are some outline instructions included in Morkl's download zip file, in the file called readme.txt.

These are probably detailed enough if you have already owned one of the earlier Sony models (PRS505/300/600/350/650/950) and you installed the PRSPlus enhancement package. Especially if font customisation via extra css files is one of the features you have already used.

Installing Morkl's modified reader app is very straightforward if you're using a Windows PC. However, if the PRST1 is your first Sony reader and you have never dabbled in font customisation using extra css files, then a more detailed step-by-step may be helpful when configuring to suit your personal tastes. For Mac/Linux users pssquirrel has written some extra instructions for the installation procedure, in post #303.

If you are also a Windows user, I'm willing to have a go at writing a detailed step-by-step via PMs. If that goes well I can try and condense our (possibly lengthy) dialogue into something which may be useful to all newbies and post it here as a single post.

If you want to give it a try, contact me via PM and we'll take it from there.
JackieW, thank you so much for your kind offer, you truly are a wizard! I downloaded the June zip file, and read the 'read me' portion as you suggested. After looking at it, I do believe this is beyond my comfort level. It's not that it necessarily sounds that difficult per se, just beyond any limited computer knowledge of mine.
I'm also fairly unsure of the limitations to posting questions about installing such here at MBR as it appears I may have crossed some line I'm not aware of. So I think I'll pass right now. But again thank you for your very kind offer to assist.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #325
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
So I think I'll pass right now. But again thank you for your very kind offer to assist.
That's OK. I don't think it's as difficult as you're probably imagining, but I quite understand that the idea of doing this kind of thing is outside the comfort level of many.

Maybe some other guinea-pig willing volunteer will step forward
Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #326
HANZ
HANZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Nvm, the old homemod works! Plus the new reader! (on an unrooted PRS-T1)

Thanks Morkl for all your hard work!

Last edited by HANZ; 07-08-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #327
Montezuma
Montezuma began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since I've posted the link to my modified Charis SIL fonts with smallcaps, 17 people have downloaded them.

If you've downloaded them, I'd like to know what you think of them.
I found the original Charis too light for my taste, which is why I used the Lexia Dama font.

Really like your darker version of Charis. Am using it now. Thank you.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezuma View Post
I found the original Charis too light for my taste, which is why I used the Lexia Dama font.

Really like your darker version of Charis. Am using it now. Thank you.
Happy to help.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #329
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:

I was on of the others who expressed an interest in this, only just found my way here. I'll give a look around and see if I'm up to doing it.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #330
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I was on of the others who expressed an interest in this, only just found my way here. I'll give a look around and see if I'm up to doing it.
I can give you a hand if you like. I've already installed the modified reader on an unrooted T1. I have one other T1 to install the latest version on.
Closed Thread