Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #46
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast
MatzeMatz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Youre prepared file for me worked (as I already said here).
Really nice

But I also don't understand why it works.
When I look in /etc/upstart/userstore, the relevant lines for extracting the data.tar.gz file are:
Code:
cd ${MNTUS_MP}
tar xvzf data.tar.gz
And as long as I remember your have to give tar the "P" flag also for extraction to extract with absolute paths.
And the flag is not present on the above two lines (and therefore it should unpack the data.tar.gz relative to /mnt/us)???

Where is my error in reasoning?
MatzeMatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #47
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeMatz View Post
Youre prepared file for me worked (as I already said here).
Really nice

But I also don't understand why it works.
When I look in /etc/upstart/userstore, the relevant lines for extracting the data.tar.gz file are:
Code:
cd ${MNTUS_MP}
tar xvzf data.tar.gz
And as long as I remember your have to give tar the "P" flag also for extraction to extract with absolute paths.
And the flag is not present on the above two lines (and therefore it should unpack the data.tar.gz relative to /mnt/us)???

Where is my error in reasoning?
That's exactly what I thought. I thought that tar only uses absolute paths on extraction not on creation. You would think that's some huge security flaw for all unix systems. Download a tar file. Overwrite settings or delete documents, etc.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #48
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I'm assuming this is simply a bug in the version of tar that ships with the kindle (i.e. busybox). I admit I also wasn't expecting it to work

Semi-serious: Yeah, maybe I should have kept this back until Amazon fixed one of the holes, only to reveal the next. But then again, I found it useful, if only to help folks like MatzeMatze or others who inadvertently bricked their devices. And I mostly believe in full disclosure anyway.

That said, it would be *really* nice if Amazon realized that allowing users to tamper with their devices (at own risk of course), instead of trying to lock them in, can actually be an advantage.

For example, I'm running a (quite old) Linksys 54 Wifi router here, which I bought specifically because there was a possibility to install OpenWRT on it. After that model became hugely popular, Linksys actually released *two* versions of the successor device: one with proprietary software, and one (I think it was called WRT54GL or so) with a Linux OS which was from the beginning designed to be modded by interested people. And it was a big success.

Last edited by ixtab; 12-30-2011 at 03:09 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #49
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Can someone point me to the direction on how to patch existing app/ui if anyone knows how to do it? I'm not familiar with Java but I don't mind looking it up and just learn enough to make some modifications.

Personally I don't really need any additional apps for the Touch, but would rather like to fine tune small things such as displaying page number instead of Loc, or search wikipedia for highlighted word, etc... thanks!
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #50
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I think I just found an alternative way of jailbreaking the device. I actually stumbled upon this while looking for a way to de-brick a KT which is not showing any UI, but is at least capable of booting up to the point of announcing itself as a USB device.

So here's how it goes: [...]

As said, this may not only be useful for jailbreaking, but also for de-bricking devices which don't properly get the UI running anymore. As long as USB drive access works, this method should also work. For a bricked device, the reboot is achieved by long-pressing (30 secs?) the power button.

Let me know if this is reproducible.
It works for me and I've got a SSH connection via WiFi to my "bricked" Kindle Touch. Thank you very much!

That's what I've had:
  • KT hangs at screen with tree before appearance of progress bar.
  • before "bricking" I've successfully installed Yifan Lu's simple_usbnet_1.1
  • after "bricking" KT could be seen as USB disk and also as client at my WiFi AP

What I've did
  • copied data.tar.gz to Kindle USB disk
  • created file RUNME.sh at the root of Kindle USB disk
    Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
  • safely removed Kindle USB disk, then physically removed USB cord from my computer
  • held KT power button for 20 seconds, then released it
  • waited until KT rebooted
  • DIDN'T connected KT to computer via USB (looks like when I've connected "bricked" KT to USB, it is detached from WiFi AP)

And voila: I can connect to KT via WiFi IP. What a relief!
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #51
bmadarasz
bmadarasz began at the beginning.

I need some help.
I connect to my Kindle from putty (Windows7 x64)

login as: root
root@192.168.15.244's password:
#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# mntroot rw
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable

But if i use Winscp then: Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?
What can I do to mount Kindle drive?

(sorry my English..)

Thx
bmadarasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #52
mc2739
mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

The host is not running an sftp server. Change the file protocol in winscp to scp.
mc2739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #53
bmadarasz
bmadarasz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc2739 View Post
The host is not running an sftp server. Change the file protocol in winscp to scp.

Thank You very much!!!
bmadarasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #54
demonseye316
demonseye316 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
wouldn't it be awesome if someone can make an mp3 hack (like yifanlu's) that can disable the ads. play mp3 boom no ads. is it doable?
demonseye316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #55
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No it would not be awesome ripping off $40 from Amazon.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #56
efindel
efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.

Okay, mini-rant time.

I'm new to the Kindle community, but it mystifies me why so many people seem to be looking for some way to turn off the ads on the ad-supported Kindles. The ads aren't badly intrusive -- if it popped up ads while you were reading a book, say, I could see people wanting to remove it, or if a quarter of the screen were taken up with ads in the home page. But removing the ads just lets you use a different screensaver and adds space for one additional book to be listed on the home screen.

I could also see it if the ads were forced on you, and you didn't have the choice of buying a version with no ads. But you do. And even if you bought the version with ads, any time you want, you can pay the $40 difference and get rid of them.

If you bought a Kindle Touch, you already paid $99. Are the ads so bad for these people that they really can't live with them for a month or two to save up another $40 and pay to have them removed? Do people not know that they can remove the ads later? (I know I was surprised to find out that you could -- Amazon doesn't really seem to publicize that.)

Don't get me wrong. I don't like ads. I run an ad-blocker on my web browser... but that's because most sites don't give me the option to remove ads, and some have ads that are extremely intrusive (e.g., popouts that want to suddenly cover most of the page just because you happened to move your mouse pointer over them). I've removed ads from software before, but only when the ads were intrusive (I remember one "free trial" e-reader for the Palm I used that popped up an ad for the full version about every 30 seconds, while you were reading. I wound up finding a way to remove the ads just so I could properly try out the software... and I did eventually register my copy). But the ads on the Kindles don't seem that intrusive, and they do give you a way to get rid of them.
efindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #57
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

I guess it's my fault, but I really don't want another "ads vs no ads" debate. My stance always is: do what you want, it's your device, but don't ask me for help.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #58
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Thank you for your amazing work. I take my hat off to you for coming up with this genius exploit. I have a quick question, and I think you of all people are the most equipped to answer. I've made a folder toggle for your GUI launcher that hides specific folders; more info. My question is this: How can i trigger a refresh of the home screen and a rescan of the documents folder without rebooting the kindle?
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #59
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonseye316 View Post
wouldn't it be awesome if someone can make an mp3 hack (like yifanlu's) that can disable the ads. play mp3 boom no ads. is it doable?
It's already done. http://pathartl.me/5387/remove-ads-on-kindle-touch
http://cl.ly/2O0j2r3K2I32430Y1c0n - direct link to his mp3 zip
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #60
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
I've made a folder toggle for your GUI launcher that hides specific folders; more info. My question is this: How can i trigger a refresh of the home screen and a rescan of the documents folder without rebooting the kindle?
With KK you had to send com.lab126.powerd.resuming event via dbus. But KT does not need that. When I create or delete a file using SSH, it immediately (dis)appears in GUI. Isn't it acting the same with your move scripts?
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote