Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks. How do those screen dimensions compare with those of the Sony 350?

The Galaxy player just may be my ticket out of Apple's ecosystem.
A 5" screen that used 4:3 aspect ratio has 3" x 4". A 3-4-5 dimension golden triangle. To compare various sizes use the wiki page for screen sizes. It shows various aspect ratios and uses the area computation to compare the reading area.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A 5" screen that used 4:3 aspect ratio has 3" x 4". A 3-4-5 dimension golden triangle. To compare various sizes use the wiki page for screen sizes. It shows various aspect ratios and uses the area computation to compare the reading area.

Dale
Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
emt
Nameless Being

I Took The Plunge..

and am glad I did. This is a fabulous device for $269 (Best Buy for the 5" model. Several things to note:

1. I rooted it (easy - see the posts over on XDA: [HTML]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1141893&page=4[/HTML] Now you can do all kinds of things like backups (with Titanium Backup), remove the dumb Android screen lock, overclock, etc... Those familiar with rooting will understand - just check out the Nook Color development threads.

2. The battery life is very good - I use WiFi and Bluetooth simultaneously while playing a game or surfing the web and I get at least 12-14 hours at about 1/3 screen brightness.
It's very light and I don't get wrist fatigue.

3. I'm using Moon Reader in scrolling mode and it works well.

Can't wait for a custom ROM or MIUI
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #19
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
A small nit. A 3,4,5 triangle is just that a 3,4,5 triangle but is is right angled triangle. You may be confusing this with the Golden Ratio which is described here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio which is actually quite close to a 10:16 screen.

More importantly, does anyone know if this device is available in Canada? This would be the perfect replacement for my now defunct Tungsten E2. An iTouch would have been ideal but I will not even consider any device that requires iTunes. Ever!
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
bernardpar
bernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it is

Device: hx4700
Is there any easy way to install Android 2.3.x on Galaxy Player? Is there any official info about Samsung update for the device. I bought 5.0 version and I am happy with the purchase but if I were to get stuck with Froyo I would sell it.
bernardpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
i dont blame you my 7 inch galaxy tab is stuck with froyo and ill be darned with buying a new galaxy tab plus 7' just to get a slight cpu boost and a software upgrade. i got a 4.3 inch motorola electrify instead and i can tell a major difference between android 2.3.4 and the 2.2 on my galaxy tab 7" also motorola has already announced that my phone will get android 4.0 next spring.... im not thrilled with samsung leaving me with an orphan then asking me to buy a new tablet for a software update. the new galaxy tab plus hammered a nail into the coffin of my galaxy tab 7.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Head over to www.xda-developers.com or www.modaco.com and download a custom ROM for your device. That will keep them fresh a lot longer. I am sure before long you can enjoy "ice-cream on TAB".
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote