Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
LoppyThug
LoppyThug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Changing Deault Folder

My Kindle automatically creates new folders for e-books in my documents folder, but I would like to switch that to be a special e-books folder. How would I go about doing that?
LoppyThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Is this a calibre issue, or a Kindle-specific issue? It looks like a Kindle issue to me, in which case it should probably be moved to the Kindle section. Or, if it's a problem with where calibre creates its private folder for storing the Kindle's ebooks, you should let people know that so they don't say "oh, that's a Kindle thing and I have a Sony" and pass over without answering.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Ok, let me ask my own request then and specify it a bit more.

Calibre saves the books in a specific folder on the Sony: \database\media\books

But I want those books to be saved in the folder \ebooks. Can I change that?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

No, not when you use send to device. My understanding is that putting books in \database\media\books is required by at least some Sony models.

You can use connect to folder and store books wherever you want, but collections won't work for these books.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
No, not when you use send to device. My understanding is that putting books in \database\media\books is required by at least some Sony models.

You can use connect to folder and store books wherever you want, but collections won't work for these books.
With collections you mean the automatic generation of collections?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
With collections you mean the automatic generation of collections?
I mean calibre-managed collections of any kind, manual or automatic. The folder device doesn't do collections.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I mean calibre-managed collections of any kind, manual or automatic. The folder device doesn't do collections.
I'm still very new at this collection thing... I only noticed, that when I tried to add my books to my Sony, I suddenly had about a million collections (or so it seemed), while I originally had only 2... If you mean those collections, I can do without them...
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm still very new at this collection thing... I only noticed, that when I tried to add my books to my Sony, I suddenly had about a million collections (or so it seemed), while I originally had only 2... If you mean those collections, I can do without them...
It you don't want collections built from tags and/or series when you send a book, you must change the settings in device customization.

See this entry in the FAQ for more information.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
In reality on the Sony, I can see one not wanting collections built from tags (particularily if you have a lot of them). However those built from series are very useful for finding related books and also knowing what order they are in the series.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm, I never looked in the plugin settings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
In reality on the Sony, I can see one not wanting collections built from tags (particularily if you have a lot of them). However those built from series are very useful for finding related books and also knowing what order they are in the series.
I have other ways of doing that. Not all my devices support collections or even meta data.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

calibre has a preferences screen where you can try setting that, but Sony hardware may not like it!

NB it's in send to device preferences

PS Kindle itself does not create subfolders - anything you get from amazon via wireless goes into the root documents folder.

Last edited by cybmole; 09-26-2010 at 02:25 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
calibre has a preferences screen where you can try setting that, but Sony the hardware may not like it!

NB it's in send to device preferences
That preference affects what comes after the built-in path. It doesn't override it.