Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Loading Times

Alright, here's a question about my Sony reader.

I've been plugging into Calibre and updating my library as it grows, but last night I wiped my SD card completely and loaded my entire library fresh. [900 Epubs, 500 PDFs] Good grief, that took something like 4-5 hours, but it was done, I ejected everything, the "loading" circle arrows came up, spun for awhile, and then....stopped.

Waited. Waited. Waited. Waited. Nothing. Still stuck on the arrow.

I'm fairly certain that none of my books are corrupt, since they were on the device BEFORE without issue, so maybe it's the strain of loading all the books at once? I wiped the SD card and loaded only the Epubs [900] this time, thinking that maybe the PDFs were being shirty.

Waited. Waited. Waited. Waited. Nothing. Still stuck on the arrow.

*sob*

I had to give up and go to work at this point. I'm thinking tonight I'll load everything in batches of 100, which will mean 14 hookups to Calibre, and god knows this will take something like 8 hours total because in addition to the 4-5 hours to load the library, there's the HUGE amount of time Calibre takes to read the Sony device. Not looking forward to it.

Has anyone else seen this "arrow hang" issue? Is it something that will work eventually after 8 hours or does it mean a corrupt book or is it a "too many new books, screw you Ana" indicator or WHAT?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I feel your pain, Ana. You are using PRS+, right? That might be helpful for people to know to help you better. Maybe your database files have gotten corrupted. Since you are reloading all of your books anyway, have you thought about doing a reformat of your 950 from the Settings menu. That would make everything fresh. Then I would reload small quantities at a time, say blocks of 50-100 books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, yes, PRS+ is running on my 950, that's correct.

I would so truly hate to reformat the reader if that removes the PRS+ and/or custom font I loaded.

Is such long/hanging loading times normal when loading 1,000+ books to the Sony Reader? My PocketBook doesn't blink at 1,000 books, but then it doesn't have metadata to contend with.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Check to see if you have card scan set on or off...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Is the arrow hang issue due to running out of power while reindexing? Maybe plug it into the wall and see if this helps?
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Clean up your tags?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Seems like I was just too impatient -- I slapped the 900 epubs in again and waited an hour and it finally loaded. So I guess the hanging arrow didn't mean anything.