Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Doctor Strangelove

Most people will know the movie because it's considered one of the 100 best films made in the 20th Century, but I'd never seen the book version until I stumbled on it at Fictionwise. They have it as both a DRMed and DRM-free, (multiformated) eBook. Without DRM it costs less than 4 USD.

The author is listed as "Peter Bryant" but his real name was Peter Bryan George. He was an active officer in the RAF when the book was published, so speculate all you want about the author's name: the book is great! And it's quite different than the movie.

The original title of the book was _Red Alert_. Originally it was a Cold War thriller which Stanley Kubrick turned it into a satire for the movie. The original thriller reads well. The changes they made to turn it into a satire are interesting and the contrast between book and film help highlight those differences. Just the changes in the character's names are amusing in a Freudian sort of way. Some are obvious: General Jack D. Ripper, Colonel Bat Guano ("bat shit" is American slang for crazy), President Merkin Muffley (reference to a sort of wig worn by certain ladies), Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, etc., etc. The final solution in the film as suggested by Strangelove (who changed his name from Merkwurdigliebe when he left Hitler's service): every man in the President's administration is to go underground with a ratio of 10 women to every man, something Strangelove claims is necessary to preserve the species.

These characters had normal names in the book, which is written using realism. As a result it is both darker and more ominous than the film. Peter George opposed the very idea of a nuclear war: something he thought that no one can win.

I'm confident in recommending this book. At 3.99 to 2.43 USD (for club members) I think it's a bargain.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Also highly recommended. I had flown with the Alabama Angel for the first time back in the mid sixties (as a kid). Warning, there are typo's. Later this week, I'll provide a list of them. The nice thing about un-DRM'ed books is that you can fix the typo's.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
BTW, Red Alert is available at Munseys: http://www.munseys.com/detail/mode/title/red_alert
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Also highly recommended. I had flown with the Alabama Angel for the first time back in the mid sixties (as a kid). Warning, there are typo's. Later this week, I'll provide a list of them. The nice thing about un-DRM'ed books is that you can fix the typo's.
Here is my errata list. I don't claim perfection, these are the one's I spotted.

1. short clatter of mores
short clatter of morse

2. had known it happen before
had known it to happen before

3. first stammer of mores
first stammer of morse

4. one wing would fulfil
one wing would fulfill

5. bury you:'
bury you.'

6. 'Taut I think I am
"But I think I am

7. ..forgotten?
forgotten?

8. like to stay on your own
like to say on your own

9. one mile radius from tie centre
one mile radius from the centre

I wish renaissance book would do a decent proof job on their books. I usually have to reproof them.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote