Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #571
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Pocket PRO only available online!

Quote:
Originally Posted by developerzero View Post
I've been searching , and I can find any mention that the Pocket Pro would only ever be available online. Maybe you could point out where he said that?
Dear developerzero:

In order to sell thru other places, we would have to sell at $239-$249 to allow them to make a margin. Our choice was to only sell thru our website so there is no middleman. Please give us credit for thinking of the end user... particularly the MR user. Eventually we will find some others that can live with a low margin (like sites that sell eBooks) and we will then sell to and thru them also.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #572
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes on downloading additional fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
Can the default fonts for the EZ Reader Pro be changed ? i.e. is it possible for the user to upload their own fonts into the device if they wish ?
Dear rana:

Yes, you can downlaod and use additional fonts on both the EZ Reader Basic and the Pocket PRO. I have finished a new FAQ sheet and they are trying to post it right away on our wesbite: www.theEZreader.com under "Support". That will give instructions!!
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #573
Robertb

Write to Ruby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rling View Post
That's the price I have to pay for living overseas. Will take the discount. What do I need to do to place the order for a pink unit?
Dear rling:

Thank God!! Write directly to Ruby at: Rubyl@astak.com. I will inform her what we promised. Remind her this is the special two units in a box with a freight charge of $72... verified by Bob. Specify the exact colors you want and insist she email back to you with full verification!

IF you already have pre-ordered one unit, please tell her that so she can pull your name for that other color!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #574
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear rana:

Yes, you can downlaod and use additional fonts on both the EZ Reader Basic and the Pocket PRO. I have finished a new FAQ sheet and they are trying to post it right away on our wesbite: www.theEZreader.com under "Support". That will give instructions!!
Thanks Robert (and rling) for the quick and informative answer !

So if I understand correctly, the default font can only be changed for Word and Text file types, right ?

Is there a way to change the font used for more common ebook formats -- like epub, lit, mobi, pdf etc ?

On my Sony 505 (which I am about to give away to my Mom) I was able to use a hack I found on MR to update the firmware and add new font types.

Is something like that possible for the EZ Reader (either the regular one, or the Pocket Pro) ?
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #575
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Robert.
When are the puppies shipping? Sony will be shipping their new 5" soon, if not shipping already! we can't let them take the lead ;P
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #576
Robertb

A hack to add new fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
Thanks Robert (and rling) for the quick and informative answer !

So if I understand correctly, the default font can only be changed for Word and Text file types, right ?

Is there a way to change the font used for more common ebook formats -- like epub, lit, mobi, pdf etc ?

On my Sony 505 (which I am about to give away to my Mom) I was able to use a hack I found on MR to update the firmware and add new font types.

Is something like that possible for the EZ Reader (either the regular one, or the Pocket Pro) ?
Dear rana:

My tech is on a family death trip. I do not even know what a hack is; but if it worked on the Sony 505 it should work fine on the EZ Reader because we support 14 formats.

Wallcraft would definitely know!!

Wallcraft... help again please!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #577
Robertb

Puppies not shipping but Pocket PRO is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
Robert.
When are the puppies shipping? Sony will be shipping their new 5" soon, if not shipping already! we can't let them take the lead ;P
Dear firend SDRebel:

I posted a full shipping schedule today in this Astak Designated Forum! The news, I think, is good!! Some will be shipping in 3-4 working days straight to the end users!!

Griffonwing ships the puppies!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #578
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Dear rana:

My tech is on a family death trip. I do not even know what a hack is; but if it worked on the Sony 505 it should work fine on the EZ Reader because we support 14 formats.

Wallcraft would definitely know!!

Wallcraft... help again please!
The answer is No. No way this same hack is gonna work on your Astak. Please do not try to make it work as the results could be disastrous!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #579
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Dear rling:
Thank God!!
You don't have to use my formal name. rling or Richard will do!

Quote:
Write directly to Ruby at: Rubyl@astak.com. I will inform her what we promised. Remind her this is the special two units in a box with a freight charge of $72... verified by Bob. Specify the exact colors you want and insist she email back to you with full verification!

IF you already have pre-ordered one unit, please tell her that so she can pull your name for that other color!
Will get to it straight away. Thnaks for the info.
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #580
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
But asutralia is west from California.
Not on my map/globe!
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #581
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Not on my map/globe!
You know tha Columbus sailed west to get to the east. Of course he never got there.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #582
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
You don't have to use my formal name. rling or Richard will do!

Will get to it straight away. Thnaks for the info.
:lol: please make me rich and famous
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #583
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I hope I am not being a nag, but I would like to follow up on the issue of margins.

Take a look at the Australian ECOReader which Alex posted here today:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53904

To me, those margins are quite satisfactory.

Now take a look at the photo of the Astak Pocket Pro here:

http://www.techfever.net/images/albu...ok-reader.html

The Pocket Pro's margins seem smaller to me. Do they to you too?

I swear that within the past 48 hours I saw a photo here at MR of a Pocket Pro which had no right margin at all. The last letters in the lines were bumping up against the frame. I wish I could find it today, but I can't.

Since the ECOReader and the Pocket Pro are both Hanlin V-5's, I assume that any firmware upgrade the Pocket Pro might need would be easy and simple.

I'll look forward to what those of you who have pre-ordered the Pocket Pro have to say about this issue when you get yours.

I also wonder if the margins seem wider on the white models - kind of an optical illusion.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #584
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Since the ECOReader and the Pocket Pro are both Hanlin V-5's, I assume that any firmware upgrade the Pocket Pro might need would be easy and simple.
The ECOReader is a V3. I don't know that it matters though, i.e. V3 and V5 may be identical for margins. One problem with trying to compare screenshots is that an ePub can set the margins. Calibre, for example, uses 5 pixels all round by default. So one ePub can look ok and another can get too close to the edge.

I raised the issue of ePub margins earlier, see post #481 and in post #522 Robertb responded:
Quote:
I did take the margin issue up with the factory engineers. They will see what they can do they said to make the margins user-settable. Once done, this would be a firmware upgrade!
In general, mobile Adobe Digital Editions needs to move towards more user settable defaults, so this is good news and should give the Hanlin version a head start over other ADE implementations.

Last edited by wallcraft; 08-28-2009 at 05:10 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #585
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The ECOReader is a V3.
Well in that case, never mind!

Anyway, I hope you can see my point. But I'm confident that this is something that Astak will take care of in short order.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote