Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
How Come Amazon Is More Popular Than Kobo?

Why do more people know Amazon but not Kobo eReaders?
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
The ability to sync docs and my own books on the Amazon cloud, even if only in mobi format is the only reason I don’t switch to Kobo. I’d literally switch today if they made something like that.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Books may be what gets folks on Amazon But they also sell other things. To me the Amazon eReaders are Cr*p New ones don't even last a year. Buy Kobo eReader 2 years still going strong. Why I updated to the Kobo Clara
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
HotblackDesiato
HotblackDesiato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; iPhone 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Books may be what gets folks on Amazon But they also sell other things. To me the Amazon eReaders are Cr*p New ones don't even last a year. Buy Kobo eReader 2 years still going strong. Why I updated to the Kobo Clara
Not sure what you do with your Kindles, but my 2013 Paperwhite still works even after the dog chewed it. I replaced it with a new Kindle only for cosmetic reasons. It's not the tank my Sony PRS-505 was but I expect it to last years too.
HotblackDesiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotblackDesiato View Post
Not sure what you do with your Kindles, but my 2013 Paperwhite still works even after the dog chewed it. I replaced it with a new Kindle only for cosmetic reasons. It's not the tank my Sony PRS-505 was but I expect it to last years too.
Your dog chewed it?!

Sorry, but for some reason, that seemed genuinely funny to me.
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nothing different then what I do with the Kobo. I READ on them they are Not Chew Toys for my dog.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I read on average 30-60 minutes a day most days on my Kindle Paperwhite that has been going strong since I got it Christmas 2013. It does have a small screen defect that results in a tiny spot of light, but it hasn't bothered me when reading.

Just out of curiosity, how did your Kindles fail? Did the Kindle stop working completely or did it develop a flaw in the screen that made it too difficult to read on?
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
HotblackDesiato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
Your dog chewed it?!

Sorry, but for some reason, that seemed genuinely funny to me.
Yes, alas. I didn't even have my homework on it. The beagle chews everything. It lasted five years of frequent use and still works fine now. The screen lighting didn't impress me much, though, so I went back to a basic one for my second Kindle.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
HotblackDesiato

Quote:
Nothing different then what I do with the Kobo. I READ on them they are Not Chew Toys for my dog.
I didn't imply that they were. I just question what you've done with them and have to wonder how many you've been through to make a sweeping general conclusion.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
Why do more people know Amazon but not Kobo eReaders?
Kobo completely withdrawing from the US market for several years didn't do them any favors.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kobo completely withdrawing from the US market for several years didn't do them any favors.
TRUE! Hopefully with Walmart selling them they make a come back in the US
Old 10-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
I didn't imply that they were. I just question what you've done with them and have to wonder how many you've been through to make a sweeping general conclusion.
Hummm about 6 Different PW ALL Died with in a Year. I Didn't do anything but READ on them!
Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
HotblackDesiato

Quote:
Hummm about 6 Different PW ALL Died with in a Year. I Didn't do anything but READ on them!
In that case, I would be done with them too. I'm only on my second and have had no problems with them. I'm a Sony reader refugee, though, and was none too happy when I had to switch.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've owned 8 or 9 Kindles, and only one just failed, and it was over 2 years old when it did. I had given it to a friend, and the screen scrambled/failed, which could have been caused by something she did. My first Kindle from 2009 still works. I had a Kindle basic, (the little one with thin page turn buttons) that had a battery issue under warranty that was replaced.

I've handed several off to friends etc, and sold the DX I had.

Having used both a Kobo and many Kindles...the Kindle universe is just better, especially for the non-techie users. The ability to wirelessly send non-Amazon books to your devices is a huge plus imo, and having them stored on your Amazon account is also a plus.

Kobo devices are fine, but Amazon wins on all the rest of the issues that pertain to buying and organizing your books. I never dealt with Kobo customer service, but Amazon has always been top flight for me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Lack of marketing on the part of Kobo. People know about kindle and nook because they are marketed in the US. Kobo, not so much. Why would you buy something unseen unless a lot of people have bought it and commented upon it?

I would add that the reason why I didn't buy Kobo was my poor experience of their customer service. That has improved, but for many people, once burned, move on.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote