Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #466
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Horn, by D. Keith Mano. (A postmodern novel.)

It's available at Archive.org, but yellowed and slow as beans on all my ebook readers.

When? Oh, when?

I actually had this book almost 50 years ago, but was too young to understand it, let alone appreciate it.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-09-2021 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Corrected the website to '..org'
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #467
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's available at Archive.com, but yellowed and slow as beans on all my ebook readers.
Should that be archive.org not Archive.com?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #468
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Should that be archive.org not Archive.com?
Yes, you're right. I'll correct it in my original post.

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #469
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Horn, by D. Keith Mano. (A postmodern novel.)

It's available at Archive.org, but yellowed and slow as beans on all my ebook readers.

When? Oh, when?

I actually had this book almost 50 years ago, but was too young to understand it, let alone appreciate it.
A couple of years ago I found a pdf of Mano's The Bridge and ocr'd an epub of it to read on my Kobo. As I recall, that was a bit of a restoration project; awful images. (And a very dark book, as in dark dystopian.) So I had a look at this one--they only have it for their stupid 1-hour loan, and the images again look terrible. Maybe a project if the winter gets too long...
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:15 AM   #470
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
A couple of years ago I found a pdf of Mano's The Bridge and ocr'd an epub of it to read on my Kobo. As I recall, that was a bit of a restoration project; awful images. (And a very dark book, as in dark dystopian.) So I had a look at this one--they only have it for their stupid 1-hour loan, and the images again look terrible. Maybe a project if the winter gets too long...

Yes, just horribly OCR'd.

The Bridge is classified as a dystopian SF novel - I have not read it; but Horn (if I remember correctly) is more literary in scope.

(Let us hope the winter is long and cold where you live!)
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #471
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
So I had a look at this one--they only have it for their stupid 1-hour loan...
Check your PMs
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #472
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Check your PMs
Nothing there - yet?

Sorry: I see you meant retiredbiker.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #473
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Yes, just horribly OCR'd.

The Bridge is classified as a dystopian SF novel - I have not read it; but Horn (if I remember correctly) is more literary in scope.

(Let us hope the winter is long and cold where you live!)
So I got hold of the HORN pdf, and guess what? the base images, after you get to them and sort them out with ImageMagick for a while, are just beautiful. And so huge I had to resize them drastically to speed up the OCR, which worked like a dream. Really makes you wonder why the Internet Archive ocr is so bad. They must run ocr on the pdf, instead of the original images. Another mis-use of a pdf.

This is a really, really good read, thanks for pointing it out.

So look for an epub in the usual Sargasso Sea of ebooks.

Last edited by retiredbiker; 11-15-2021 at 07:33 PM.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #474
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
For fellow “pony book” fans, Jane Badger Books has bought the rights from HachetteUK to reprint Ruby Ferguson’s Jill books. They’ll be out as ebooks early next year, starting with Jill’s Gymkhana.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #475
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
So look for an epub in the usual Sargasso Sea of ebooks.
Looks like a good scan, retiredbiker. Thanks!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #476
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, Thank you, retiredbiker.

(See your PMs, please.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-17-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:14 AM   #477
Nonya
Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara HD
The vast majority of gamebooks.
Sure, you can find a lot of them in PDF format but they don't reflow and most aren't linked making them useless as "ebooks" and don't convert well to EPUB or KEPUB formats.
The only ones that come close are the Time Machine series in PDF.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #478
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
The vast majority of gamebooks.
Sure, you can find a lot of them in PDF format but they don't reflow and most aren't linked making them useless as "ebooks" and don't convert well to EPUB or KEPUB formats.
The only ones that come close are the Time Machine series in PDF.
When you say 'gamebooks' do you mean the Choose Your own Adventure type of books? (I'm not familiar with the Time Machine series.)

I thought Joe Dever's Lone Wolf books were available, though checking now looks like they are currently only available in German.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #479
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have been looking high and low for Icefire and its sequel Freefall by Judith Reeves-Stevens & Garfield Reeves-Stevens... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icefir...-Stevens_novel)

I remember reading these many, many years ago (I guess around 1998) and recall really enjoying them. I know I had the first editions but they seem to have been lost in one of my many moves.

Would be nice to have these released as ebooks.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:40 AM   #480
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I have been looking high and low for Icefire and its sequel Freefall by Judith Reeves-Stevens & Garfield Reeves-Stevens... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icefir...-Stevens_novel)

I remember reading these many, many years ago (I guess around 1998) and recall really enjoying them. I know I had the first editions but they seem to have been lost in one of my many moves.

Would be nice to have these released as ebooks.
you might like to see this:

https://archive.org/search.php?query...s%2C+Judith%22
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote