Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
kennyc,
Startup is much faster going from the Home page to get where I can open a new book or the one I was previously reading. If I was just starting up where I left off in a previous book, the slowness wasn't as noticeable. Change over to other functions is faster. I deleted one item today and that is much faster. My DX was really hanging up on deletes.

Thanks for the follow up. I'm just trying to decide if my K2 is faster or not. I think maybe it is in the areas you are speaking of.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
2.3.3 and screensaver seem working together nicely on my Sprint K2.

It does seem a little peppier
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I notice that the cursor movement (either on the home screen or within a book) is much faster. I guess it's faster to open books or move to the home screen, but I don't keep my Kindle too full, so that hasn't been a problem for me.

What has been a problem is deleting books - sometimes (since 2.3) it simply hasn't worked - the book stays on my home screen (sort of greyed-out). I haven't had this problem since 2.3.3, but I didn't see it all the time so I'm not sure. I'll be convinced it's gone if the problem doesn't reappear for a while.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
OhEmGee!
Reader
OhEmGee! began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3-3g, Sony PRS600
Hi new people ...ok, I'm the new one, but you're all new to me

I installed the 2.3.3 update, then the font hack, which is working, then the screensaver hack (the newer one that works with previous 2.3 update), but it's not working for me with this newer update. I have a K2 US. Can anybody please help? I'm putting the install file in the system folder. I haven't touched my screen_saver folder which is still in there and I'm assuming doesn't need to be touched.

Thank you.

If I should have started a different thread, or should even be in a different area, I apologize. Feel free to move my post where it belongs. (Hey! Not the trash!)

Last edited by OhEmGee!; 02-14-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Good grief...I had to edit in a polite please. Where are my manners?
OhEmGee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
sjeffrey
sjeffrey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Did you have the hack working before?
I updated from 2.3 to 2.3.3 by uninstall screensaver and usb hacks, apply update, reinstalling hacks and had no issues. I'm on Kindle DX US version.
sjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The install file doesnt go into the system folder but into the root directory.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #22
OhEmGee!
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeffrey View Post
Did you have the hack working before?
I updated from 2.3 to 2.3.3 by uninstall screensaver and usb hacks, apply update, reinstalling hacks and had no issues. I'm on Kindle DX US version.
Yep, that's exactly what I did, too.
Everything, i.e., the screensaver hack and the font hack, were working perfectly with the last update. The font hack is working with this one, but I can't, for the life of me, get the SS hack working.
I've uninstalled, reinstalled, each in different orders. I can't uninstall the new update, but I tried, nonetheless, to do another manual install. That did nothing -I couldn't update- but I thought I'd at least try .
I've just finished a factory reset thinking I'd reinstall everything including the update, and the two hacks. Unfortunately (well, usually I s'pose it'd be a good thing), the update remains 2.3.3 and the font hack remains installed.
I'm currently waiting for all my folders that I'd backed up to reinstall.
One thing I noticed that I'd never noticed before, but perhaps I just wasn't looking, is that when I hit Menu>Settings, the Update Kindle flashes black for a split second before graying out.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #23
OhEmGee!
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
The install file doesnt go into the system folder but into the root directory.
Wait...what??

Here are the directions I've been using:

Instructions for use:
---------------------
1) Plug your Kindle2 into your computer.
2) Copy "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin" to the root of your Kindle2.
3) Change directories to the "system" folder.
4) Create a new folder called...

OMG...I hope it's just that simple.
When the directions say to change directories it doesn't mean to move the install file, it means change directories in order to make the screensaver folder!!

Argh and yay.

I'm trying it. I'll be back in a few to kiss you, or cry some more.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #24
OhEmGee!
Reader

Ha! I owe some internet stranger a kiss. Hm. Glad I didn't promise more in my excitement . Thank you, Pushka!! *smooch!*

Simple. Worked perfectly. I'm my own worst enemy tonight, though. I 'd reinstalled all the folders except the screensaver one. (Don't ask...I don't know at this point why it wasn't inside the system folder and easily reinstalled. I don't know what brilliant idea I had at what point that made me back it up w/the SS folder separated. *sigh*) When I updated this time, it created a SS folder with all the old default SSs. Oy.

Yaknow when you do so much it starts getting hard to keep track of everything? Yeah, well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Cheers! I think the info about the systems folder was when you were creating your screensaver folder, (to put your photos into) but not the actual hack! Lucky I am a gal, hey!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #26
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
It does seem a little peppier
Maybe you weren't affected by the slowdown. Version 2.3 made a very noticable slowness in opening and closing documents (for me, and apparently for some others). I'm off to go get this new 2.3.3, since I *did* have the slowness issue and will greatly appreciate the fix!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #27
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I don't notice any performance increase. And there are still bugs to be fixed, like not showing pictures in full screen when the option is toggled on (I have to toggle off and then toggle on again to make it full screen again).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #28
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Anyone have the link to the font-hack install/uninstall file or thread?
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #29
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
This may have been a update allowing the new apps to be ran in the future. But who knows.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #30
sjeffrey
sjeffrey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Am I crazy or does the PDF margins handling rendering seem better?
I updated this weekend and I continued on reading a PDF and I noticed that there was hardly any left/right margins. It would be interesting if someone could do a comparison of 2.3 to 2.3.3. I would do it but unfortunately it's impossible to downgrade.
sjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote