Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
automa
Zealot
automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Kindle app on iPod Touch 1st generation

I have an iPod Touch 1st generation.

Kindle app and others wouldn't work because the OS on my iPod touch first generation is too old. I want to add .ePub files to it, and I used to do this by downloading from Box.com on Stanza and also just by inserting the .ePub/.mobi files from iTunes to Stanza/Kindle app, but I cleared my iTouch which resulted in the two apps from disappearing for good, while the only downloadable versions of the two are incompatible with the old iOS of the iTouch.

How can I download older versions of it, and is there some sort of crack to make the font size bigger on Kindle for the iPhone?

Would buying a bigger thing help like Samsung note, with the font size on the Kindle?

It has been noted elsewhere that the Kindle app font is small:

Quote:
Lastly, I would say that the Kindle app is a little easier and faster to navigate. Its only shortcoming is that the screen size of the iPhone may be too small for reading at long stretches of time.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...ne-ipod-touch/

Quote:
An iPhone and iTouch does not make for a good Kindle substitute, partly because of the disadvantages of the app mentioned above but mostly because the screen is too small and hard on the eyes.
http://tech.spotcoolstuff.com/apple-...pod/kindle-app

However, the real problem seems to be the actual limit on the size, not the screen itself. I have no problem reading with bigger fonts in other readers. Kindle is unique in that it will not let you make the font bigger than a certain size that is too small to read comfortably.

Anyway, is there an e-reader that is both compatible with the very first iOS of the iTouch and has the capability to insert ebook files of your own choosing that you have downloaded elsewhere, instead of the limited selection on their stores? (besides Stanza, Kindle, Kobo, since those won't work with the old iOS)

Last edited by automa; 04-04-2012 at 02:02 AM.
automa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
What IOS version are you using?

Kindle app works fine for me on my 1st gen ipod touch 8GB with IOS 4.2, but it also worked fine on the older system. And why do you not upgrade to the latest IOS?

Regarding epub, you could convert those to kindle format with Calibre.

Regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 04-04-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
What IOS version are you using?

Kindle app works fine for me on my 1st gen ipod touch 8GB with IOS 4.2, but it also worked fine on the older system. And why do you not upgrade to the latest IOS?

Regarding epub, you could convert those to kindle format with Calibre.

Regards,
Andy
Are you sure you have the 1st gen ipod touch? I have the 1st gen and cannot upgrade past 3.0.

Also, the Kindle app works fine for me.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Good question.

Yes, I have the 2nd Generation 8 GB iPod touch but was under the impression that technically the 8 GB version was not upgraded (only the 16 GB and 32 GB version) so that it was in reality a 1st gen model (hence some software that required "2nd generation ipod touch" only worked on the 16GB and 32GB models.) I now see that I was mistaken and that this refers actually for the upgrade from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen (that the 2nd Gen 8GB model did not receive) so I have now learned that I have actually a 2nd Gen model - sorry for confusing the thread!

Best regards,
Andy

(As a sidenote, the 480x320 pixel display does not predestine the iPod touch as a bookreader anyway - I use it mainly as a fallback option when my Kindle Fire and iPad are in use by my kids).

PS: FWIW, wikipedia mentions system 3.1.3 as highest upgrade for the 1st generation iPod touch

Last edited by Andy_T; 04-05-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote