Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Skybch30
Skybch30 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Switching from Sony to Kindle

Hello. I have a Sony Reader PRS-505 that has just died. RIP... Anyway, Sony's tech support has deemed it unfixable. My question is; Can I switch to Kindle/Ipad and take my 300 books with me? Or must I start from scratch?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Skybch30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If your books are in ePub format then it's just a matter of setting up Calibre, stripping the DRM, and copying them to your Kindle. If they're in Sony's LRF format I'm not sure.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
If your books are in ePub format then it's just a matter of setting up Calibre, stripping the DRM, and copying them to your Kindle. If they're in Sony's LRF format I'm not sure.
No difference unless they are DRM file in which case they would be lrx not lrf... the latter is just convert with calibre but if lrx then I think you may be stuck...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
could you wait for the new kindle tablet to be released or by a tablet that was android based?

the android based tablets have applications for both sony ebooks as well as kindle books.

i have never owned an ipad or iphone so i am unsure if they have apps for DRM'ed ePub books but android does

Last edited by willanaya; 09-07-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: clarification
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
kindle instead of sony

This is seriously such a bad time to get a new ereader because of all the new hardware that's comming out in the next few weeks.

But if my ereader were totally fraged, I guess I wouldn't be able to wait a few weeks either.

I had another chance to play with a Kindle WiFi today at Karstadt(FRG department store). They told me it's a "brand new offering"(haha), which I guess it might be, at a German retailer.

It's really quite a nice device. I'm used to using a reader with a touchscreen, so the first thing I tried was quickly selecting a word somewere in the middle of the page for look-up or search. It was actually really fast! But maybe that's just 'cause your doing something and getting good feedback from the device.

Not any current touch-Eink device can even come close to the instantaneous reaction time of my old dinosaur Gemstar! But it does need replacing none the less.

It shouldn't be a problem to convert your current library of ebooks to use on any new Kindle you might buy.

=> Calibre, it's been mentioned before.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sorry to hear about your 505. If you can wait a few weeks, then there is a new Sony model coming out called the PRS-T1. Your profile doesn't say where you are located. If you are in the US or Canada, other options that you could consider are the Nook or Kobo ereaders. They read Adobe EPUB's, and then you wouldn't have to deal with removing DRM and converting to MOBI. You can re-download any LRX files you purchased from the Sony bookstore as EPUB through your account page in the Sony Reader Library software (well, most have them have been converted).

EDIT: Nook and Kobo also have iPhone/iPad apps.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
EDIT: Nook and Kobo also have iPhone/iPad apps.
They are available for Android as well, if you get a tablet running that.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
i have the patience of a highly caffeinated gnat on speed. I need 2 readers in place at all times...just in case, while shopping for a 3rd.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybch30 View Post
Hello. I have a Sony Reader PRS-505 that has just died. RIP... Anyway, Sony's tech support has deemed it unfixable. My question is; Can I switch to Kindle/Ipad and take my 300 books with me? Or must I start from scratch?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
For what it is worth I have a Sony and a Kindle, and rarely use the Kindle.

I also have an iPad, and have loaded some of my ePub books on to it, using their iBooks reading software. They can be read on the iPad, but quite often paragraphs which are centered on the Sony are flush left on the iPad. It's a known bug, and if you can edit ePub files can be fixed.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Hmm, several people have reported that they have been offered low price deals on a later Sony reader (650 in most cases). Maybe ask about that.

Heck, even if you don't want the 650, you can sell it. I will buy it from you.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Skybch30
Skybch30 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Great advice here. Thanks so very much everyone. I have heard about the new Sony coming out next month. It does sound quite nice, but price will determine whether I decide to purchase that or go for the kindle or ipad2. If I am paying $300 for a new reader, might as well go w/ Ipad2. It does everything and I wouldn't have to lug around my macbook pro as much. I did find a sony pocket ed for $100. May just pick that up and wait a while. You're so right Biba re: bad timing. The one problem I have had w/ Sony is that quite a few books I've searched for, are not available. Amazon has them all and w/ Sony it is limited. Has anyone else found that to be a problem?
Skybch30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
The one problem I have had w/ Sony is that quite a few books I've searched for, are not available. Amazon has them all and w/ Sony it is limited. Has anyone else found that to be a problem?
No, because I can also buy books at Kobo and ebooks.com for my Sonys. It's rare that a book I want is only available at Amazon, and even rarer that Amazon is cheaper than any other ebook store since the Agency Model went live.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I get a lot of books from Smashwords.com and admittedly from countless other places. The thing with Sony eReaders is that as long as you get the books in ePub format, where you get them doesn't matter. And as long as you use Calibre so you can convert to ePub, it matters even less.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybch30 View Post
Great advice here. Thanks so very much everyone. I have heard about the new Sony coming out next month. It does sound quite nice, but price will determine whether I decide to purchase that or go for the kindle or ipad2. If I am paying $300 for a new reader, might as well go w/ Ipad2. It does everything and I wouldn't have to lug around my macbook pro as much. I did find a sony pocket ed for $100. May just pick that up and wait a while. You're so right Biba re: bad timing. The one problem I have had w/ Sony is that quite a few books I've searched for, are not available. Amazon has them all and w/ Sony it is limited. Has anyone else found that to be a problem?
The new Sony is supposed to be $149 in the US compared to $139 for the Kindle Wi-fi (without Special Offers).

Try the website inkmesh.com for some of the books that you want and can't find at the Sony store. It will tell you other sources. I find the majority of what I want at Sony. Kobo, ebooks.com and booksonboard are other popular stores. If the books that you want are only at Amazon, then maybe the Kindle is a better option for you.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I love my 950, but also love trying out new electronics. Yes, it can be an expensive habit, lol. Anyway,if you aren't interested in any of the Sony reader offerings, you may want to look at the Nook Color. I got one from a guy off Craigslist last week. It's in perfect condition and came with a really nice case that could almost work with the 950 and was $150.

I think I left it with the plain Barnes and Noble user interface for 1 night and the delay was because I couldn't find an unused microsd card to install the Android 2.3.3 RM. Now it's basically a 7 inch android tablet with really good battery life and awesome viewing angles. If you go that route, you can install the reader apps for all the major stores and simply buy books from whichever tickles your fancy at the moment. I use Aldiko on it and it works really great. After listening to Pandora and reading a max brightness(I was in a sunlit living room) for 4 hours, I still had 48% of battery life left. It's a great device, but the only con is that it's a bit heavy. It's a lot heavier than the 950.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote